kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
for those of you playing along at home - here is a picture of a NEMA 14-50R - the is the "receptacle" your electrician will install in your garage - and if you find a hotel or campground with RV hook ups you're likely to find one of these receptacles.

71v6jiBa6gL._AC_SL1313_.jpg

NEMA 14-50 is 240 volts @ 50 amps - single phase AC power - EV charging can only use 80% of the rated load for code/safety reasons - so you are allowed to draw 40 amps on this type of circuit - the power rating is therefore the following match

watts = volts * amps

240 volts * 40 amps = 9,600 watts
kiloWatts is a measurement of 1000 watts
so 9,600 watts is 9.5 kiloWatts (kW)
do this for one hour and you get 9.6 kiloWattHours (kWh)

your Taycan battery is a 93 kWh battery - but only 83.4 kWh is "unlocked" for your use by Porsche

so to charge your Taycan from empty you need to shove approximately 84 kWh into the battery to take it from 0% to 100%

if you plugged into a RV outlet - time to charger is therefore

84 kWh / 9.6 kW = 8.75 hours - round up for charging overhead and loss - and 9-10 hours of charge time from a NEMA 14-50.

the following receptacle types are all 50 amp circuits and identical electrically for the most part:

NEMA 14-50
NEMA 10-50
NEMA 6-50
NEMA SS2-50 - marine shore power connector & concert venues - this is essentially the locking version of the NEMA 14-50 plug and more appropriate for "outdoor" use…

these are all just different "shape" plugs designed for 240 volt 50 amp electrical circuits - your EVSE can charge from any of them if you have an adapter that converts 14-50 to a 6-50 - they are electrically identical from the EVSE's perspective, and the only difference is the actual shape/layout of the metal connectors

electricity is all the same!

but fundamentally the plug is just a pattern for:

120 volt hot "leg" of the connection - left​
120 volt hot "leg" of the connection - right​
120 volt neural "leg" of the connection - bottom​
ground connection - top​
Ah, now that I look at it more closely, the electrician didn't install the 14-50 even though that is what is on the invoice. He did 6-50r. Sounds like I need to get him to swap that out. Thanks for the help everyone.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
daveo4EV:

Sorry, it's been a busy last few days. Took delivery of my Taycan 4S last Saturday.

Prior to delivery, I had 14-50R plugs (female) installed in my shop at my second home as well as at my home in Dallas. Both circuits have brand new up-to-code wiring to support sustained 40-amp draws as well as brand new circuit breakers. The one panic moment I had was around orientation of the ground part of the receptacle at my Dallas house. I have the Porsche Charger Station Cabinet installed at my house in Dallas and the ground pin orientation is important for the short power pigtail to be able to plug in.

NOTE: the ground pin should be installed at the 6 o'clock position so that the power pigtail can connect properly.

As for my version of the EV Road Warrior kit, I have the following:
1 SS2-50/CS6365 Locking Shore Power to 14-50R Adapter
1 NEMA 6-20P to 14-50R Adapter
1 NEMA 6-30P to 14-50R Adapter
1 NEM L6-30P to 14-50R Adapter
1 TT-30P to NEMA 14-50R Adapter
1 NEMA L14-30P Twist-lock to 14-50R Adapter
1 NEMA 14-50 Extension Cord (10 foot)
1 40-amp TeslaTap

All (except the TeslaTap) are in a nice round bag from EVSEAdapters sitting in the trunk of my Taycan next to the Mobile Charger Connect. The TeslaTap is in its own hard storage case as well.

I figure I'm pretty much ready for most eventualities when I need a charge! We'll see.

Dave's info was GREAT. Highly recommend EVSEAdapters as a solid place to find this equipment.

Toby

P.S. - On a different note, my SECOND Mobile Charger Connect came into the dealer today. I will pick it up on Saturday and then the fun really begins!!! I'm pretty sure I will run into issues having TWO Mobile Changers Connect associated with the same MyPorsche ID!!!! Can't wait! TBP :eek:

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

make sure when using these adapters to ramp down the amperage with the Porsche charger - it won't know it's plugged into a lesser socket…

I'll be interested to see if the Porsche charger handles the 120 volts from the TT-30P

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag

make sure when using these adapters to ramp down the amperage with the Porsche charger - it won't know it's plugged into a lesser socket…

I'll be interested to see if the Porsche charger handles the 120 volts from the TT-30P
I’m glad we don’t have all these issues with plug types in the UK. This is just screaming out for disasters with pulling too much current.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Yep, I'm much more familiar with Mobile Charger Connect than I ever wanted to be!

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree - I'm just saying there are options - but I agree - get the item you contracted for.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not to mention, a 14-50 is 4-wire not 3-wire that a 6-50 is. So if the electrician didn't pull 4 conductor cable, he's not going to be happy. It doesn't matter for 240v, but if I paid for 14-50, I'd want all 4 conductors.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Not to mention, a 14-50 is 4-wire not 3-wire that a 6-50 is. So if the electrician didn't pull 4 conductor cable, he's not going to be happy. It doesn't matter for 240v, but if I paid for 14-50, I'd want all 4 conductors.
I specified a 6-50 plug in our Taycan order. It will be interesting to see what is delivered because the configurator details for the 6-50 plug show a 14-30 plug.

A NEMA 6-50 plug from Porsche was my choice for several reasons:
  • Friends with welders (6-50R is common)
  • Auto repair shops or garages with compressors or welders
  • Two-wire connections avoid excessive harmonic current in the neutral wire which causes noisy grounding and sometimes neutral wire overheating (modern electronic circuits create a lot of third harmonic noise)
  • Typically a more flexible cable if extensions are used
  • Less copper weight

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I will run into issues having TWO Mobile Changers Connect associated with the same MyPorsche ID!!!! Can't wait! TBP
I wish to hear more about this once you've tried it out!

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wish to hear more about this once you've tried it out!
Well, I would have been able to report on this last Saturday, BUT there's small hitch in my get-along here!

It seems that Porsche has extended their unbundling philosophy to the Taycan as well. For any of you who have bent your own wrenches on any Porsche, you will recognize the implications of this decision almost immediately!

The Porsche Mobile Connect Charger comes "bundled" with the car upon purchase. You get the Charger itself, along with the stipulated car charger cable and the stipulated power whip (30-amp, 50-amp, etc..). The new Taycan owner will find upon opening the nice carrying case containing the Mobile Charger Connect, that you must attach the two cables (power whip and car charging cable) to the charger. There are ALSO two small M4x8 Torx T15 counter-sunk screws used to secure the power whip and the car charging cable to the charger itself. THIS is where the fun begins......

I did take delivery of my second Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (9Y0-971-675-BL) last Saturday. I knew something was amiss the moment the Parts guys walked out with a box that roughly matched the dimensions of the charger itself. DRAT!! NO Car Charger Cable is included with the charger itself (even the measly 8 foot cable!). I had already ordered the power whip so I was "OK" there, but the Mobile Connect Charger is pretty useless without the car charger cable!!! Oh, and BTW, the two small screws needed to secure both cables into the Charger Connect???? Yeah, they are NOT included in the -BL part!!! :mad::mad::mad:

So now I have a 25 foot charger cable on order (don't know if it has to come from Germany or if Atlanta has them in-stock) AND the Parts guys are hunting down part number(s) for the retaining screws, because apparently, PET does not show those little parts in the exploded parts diagram for the Mobile Charger Connect!!!!

Thus, I am waiting on the Porsche parts network to get me a charging cable AND the two retaining screws I need to have a functioning, second Mobile Charger Connect.

Silly me - I've been buying parts for my two race cars and my 930 and my Targa and KNOW that you ALWAYS have to specify every single part individually. I mistakenly assumed (you know DO know the component parts of the word "ASS-U-ME" mean, correct?) that simply ordering the -BL part number would yield the charger AND the Car charging cable AND the two retaining screws! Won't make that mistake again!

More to come on this saga as Porsche fulfills my additional parts requests!

Toby

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Toby, I feel for you, but good thing is the two small screws are not needed for the charger to function. I only found my two small retaining screws in the bag after reading your post. There are none in the back of my charger and it works fine. Since my charger is fitted to the wall it will not loosen the connectors either. Guess that is just for securely locking the cables in place when you take the charger on a road trip.

Thanks for highlighting the missing screws for me though!
Sponsored