PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
However, I am unable to find the product that compares to the Tesla gen 2 charging cable. The HCS 50, CC engineers tell me, cannot run on 120V.

Thart leaves the 32amp Amazing Efast 32 amp cord.
The ClipperCreek AmazingE 32 is a 240v system. Are you looking for a 120v system?

I really like ClipperCreek products. They're simple and have worked very well in my experience.
Sponsored

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The ClipperCreek AmazingE 32 is a 240v system. Are you looking for a 120v system?

I really like ClipperCreek products. They're simple and have worked very well in my experience.

The Porsche and Tesla systems are able to run on both 120 and 240V, tht's what I gather from this thread and i am looking for the same capability in Clipper Creek.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Porsche and Tesla systems are able to run on both 120 and 240V, tht's what I gather from this thread and i am looking for the same capability in Clipper Creek.
So you're looking for a cord/mobile charger that can do both? I don't believe any ClipperCreek products are compatible with both 120/240, they are one or the other. You can double check with ClipperCreek customer support, I found them very helpful, but I'm pretty sure they don't have a device like that and don't recommend using an adapter to pull 120 on a 240 device.

I could be wrong, I'd double check with ClipperCreek.

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So you're looking for a cord/mobile charger that can do both? I don't believe any ClipperCreek products are compatible with both 120/240, they are one or the other. You can double check with ClipperCreek customer support, I found them very helpful, but I'm pretty sure they don't have a device like that and don't recommend using an adapter to pull 120 on a 240 device.

I could be wrong, I'd double check with ClipperCreek.

Based on my discussions with them about a few of their products, I got that impression, but I had not discussed the Amazing EFast line with them. Appreciate your insights, Frank.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I wouldn’t let 120 volt drive my decision - it’s only good for overnight charging for 8-20% battery - it’s not a huge deal - the TEsla Gen2 Universal Mobile Charger is both 120 & 240 and has swappable plug cables for all the different US plug types, but any mobile charger will do

utilization is soooooo low however the porsche charger is quite good and sufficient for the rare mobile duty.

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wouldn’t let 120 volt drive my decision - it’s only good for overnight charging for 8-20% battery - it’s not a huge deal - the TEsla Gen2 Universal Mobile Charger is both 120 & 240 and has swappable plug cables for all the different US plug types, but any mobile charger will do

utilization is soooooo low however the porsche charger is quite good and sufficient for the rare mobile duty.
Back to the original premise - your dual voltage solution to cover most situations that one would encounter in the wild without dragging the bulky Porsche EVSE in and out of its wall mount was thoughtful and convincing. I have the Tesla Tap 80 amp to cover those Tesla hotel and parking lot opportunities. Adding a dual voltage, more portable, charger makes sense - not perfect, but at least it covers the bases. A 240 volt only solution takes many level 1 opportunities out of the picture. I fully understand we are talking rare situations, but isn't that where you wanted to be in the first place?

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In my early EV experience, I had to charge off 110V in an emergency on one occasion. The charge rate was around 1 mi of range per hour of charging. Walking pace is around 3mph. Yes, it's faster to walk than to charge your car at 110V.

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK, you have convinced me to forego the 120V charger in my road wimp mobile package. I am thinking about something like this:

1. Tesla Tap 80 amp, Tesla to 1772 adaptor
2. Clipper Creek 240 volt 32 amp AmazingEFast mobile charger with NEMA 14-50 plug
3. EVSEadaptors NEMA 6-50P to 14-50R adaptor
4. EVSEadaptors NEMA 14-30/14-50/14-60P to 14-50R combo adaptor
5. EVSEadaptors TT30P to 14-50R compact adaptor
6. EVSEadaptors SS250/CS6365 locking shore plug to 14-50R

In particular, number 4 - is it wise to get a combo plug?

Thanks,

Last edited:

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m not familiar witht eh ClipperCreek - can you adjust the amp “down” on the ClipperCreek? so of those adapter adjust lower amp plugs to higher amp plugs- which means the car will try to pull too many amps - unless the clippercreek is adjustable that will cause problems…

TT30P is a 120 volt plug.

#1 is good
#2 is good
#3 is good
#4 - I have concerns - investigation required
#5 - I have concerns - invesitgation required (will ClipperCreek eVSE work at 120 volt?)
#6 is good

when plugging into a NEMA XX-30 - that plug type means 30 amps - if you are adapting to a NEMA 14-50P on the clipper creek EVSE then the CipperCreek EVSE thinks it’s plugged into a 50 amp plug type - it doesn’t “know” it’s actually plugging into a 30 amp plug - and it will report to the Taycan that it can charge at 40 amps -and the Taycan will try and pull 40 amps on a 30 amp plug - best case here is breaker trips -worse case is melting things and possible fire.

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m not familiar witht eh ClipperCreek - can you adjust the amp “down” on the ClipperCreek? so of those adapter adjust lower amp plugs to higher amp plugs- which means the car will try to pull too many amps - unless the clippercreek is adjustable that will cause problems…

TT30P is a 120 volt plug.

#1 is good
#2 is good
#3 is good
#4 - I have concerns - investigation required
#5 - I have concerns - invesitgation required (will ClipperCreek eVSE work at 120 volt?)
#6 is good

when plugging into a NEMA XX-30 - that plug type means 30 amps - if you are adapting to a NEMA 14-50P on the clipper creek EVSE then the CipperCreek EVSE thinks it’s plugged into a 50 amp plug type - it doesn’t “know” it’s actually plugging into a 30 amp plug - and it will report to the Taycan that it can charge at 40 amps -and the Taycan will try and pull 40 amps on a 30 amp plug - best case here is breaker trips -worse case is melting things and possible fire.

Thanks! Are your concerns about #4 due to the multiple plug end? Here is the link:
https://www.evseadapters.com/products/nema-14-30p-14-50p-14-60p-to-14-50r-universal-adapter/

With respect to #5, the Clipper Creek max output is 32 amps, does that matter? Again, your advice has been invaluable so I appreciate your interest in my situation.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1. Tesla Tap 80 amp, Tesla to 1772 adaptor
2. Clipper Creek 240 volt 32 amp AmazingEFast mobile charger with NEMA 14-50 plug
3. EVSEadaptors NEMA 6-50P to 14-50R adaptor
4. EVSEadaptors NEMA 14-30/14-50/14-60P to 14-50R combo adaptor
5. EVSEadaptors TT30P to 14-50R compact adaptor
6. EVSEadaptors SS250/CS6365 locking shore plug to 14-50R
#4 let's break this down

NEMA 14-30 - this is a 30 amp plug - and if you follow the continuous use rule you can only pull 80% of a rated circuit load for a given AMP circuit - so a 30 amp circuit NEMA 14-30 can only pull 24 amps - you need some way to "adjust" the amps on the EVSE (ClipperCreek) _OR_ in the car (Tesla allows this Taycan does not) so that the charge session only pull 24 amps…

NEMA 14-50 - no problem

NEMA 14-60 - never gonna use it - NEMA 14-60 in north america is 3 phase power if I remember correctly - but it doesn't matter cause the charger is only 32 amps…

of the combo adapter the only adapter part you'd use is the NEMA 14-30 and without some way to downgrade the amps to 24 amps during the charging session I don't see how that would work and be safe.

#5 - NEMA TT30P is a 30 amp 120 volt circuit found in RV parks - very useful - 2.88 kW of charging power - but I'm not sure the ClipperCreek will work on 120 volts - and again if it does work on 120 volts - the ClipperCreek being plugged into. NEMA 14-50R will trick the Clipper creek into thinking it can pull 40 amps - which is incorrect for a 30 amp circuit.

all of the 50 to 50 amp adapter will work great! - it's when you attach a 30 to a 50 adapter with no way to downgrade the charge session to 24 amps that will cause problems.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mustart makes a great portable charger and has the various adapter cables that will automatically adjust the AMPs to match the current NEMA plug type…

https://www.mustartsolutions.com/co...c-vehicle-charger-plug-in-ev-charging-station

the whole issue is when plugging into a "low amp" plug type (30 amps or less) you need the EVSE to tell the car to only pull 24 amps or less - if a NEMA 14-50 plug type is connected to the EVSE the EVSE will assume/guess it can pull up 40 amps and report 40 amps to the car which it will request - if in this circumstance you are actually plugged into a 30 amp plug type that will overload the circuit - best case Is the breaker keeps tripping and you can only charge for 10-15 minutes at a time…cause you'll keep tripping the breaker on the plug.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the best thing about the following 3 chargers:
  1. Porsche Mobile Charge Connect
  2. Tesla Gen2 UMC
  3. Mustart Gen1 Intelligent Plug Identification
is that all 3 of these mobile car chargers (EVSE's) have specific plug adapter for different NEMA plug types - and when you are using those specific plug adapter the EVSE automatically adjust the maximum amp rate to "MATCH" the 80% rule for the rated amps for that plug type…

if you are purchasing a 32/40 amp mobile EVSE with a NEMA 14-50P supply cable - that EVSE will ALWAYS assume it can pull 32/40 amps regardless of what type of plug you are actually using - cause it doesn't know you're using a clever adapter that allows you to plug into a household outlets with your NEMA 14-50P…

you can find adapters all over the place that will cover _ANY_ NEMA plug type to _ANY_ other NEMA plug-type - but all of these adapter are passive - i.e. all they are doing is creating the electrical connections between the two plug types - allowing the current to flow…

they have _NO_ mechanism to "adjust" the actual AMP's to match the plug - so it's assumed if you're using an adapter you know what you're doing and won't overload the actual circuit…

the rule is:

if you plugging into a 50 amp power source and you get an adapter for a 20 amp plug type device (microwave) - that will work - there is _NO_ safety issue with a 20 amp device pulling 20 amps across a 50 amp circuit…

but if you have a 20 amp circuit power source (plug type & wire) - plugging a 40 amp EVSE into a 20 amp power source will overload the 20 amp circuit - the wire will overheat, and the breaker will trip…this is bad juju…

now you can get away with this _IF_ you have some mechanism to tell the EVSE to pull fewer amps - the PMCC lets you adjust amps "down" via the on screen controls (Current Control) - so you can plug your PMCC NEMA 14-50 plug into the 30 amp Adapter - AS LONG AS YOU THEN SET THE PMCC TO ONLY PULL 24 AMPS OR LESS - (30 * 80% = 24 amps)

example:
  1. pull into Aunt Betty's driveway for a Long over due visit
  2. have Aunt Betty come out an admire your brand new Taycan - she says good things cause it's a beautiful car
  3. Tell Aunt Betty you're low on battery juice (5%) and does she know if there is an unused 240 volt circuit in the garage?
    1. Aunt Betty says she doesn't know but you're welcome to look
  4. You say ok, and the rest of your crew goes inside to socialize with Aunt Betty
  5. you scour Aunt Betty's garage and SUCCESS - there is the juicy ohhh so nice unused 240 volt 30 amp NEMA 10-30 plug installed for an electric water heater - great we can do this!!!
  6. You break out your PMCC w/NEMA 14-50 supply cable - PMCC assumes it can do 40 amp cause of the currently attached supply cable.
  7. You break out your NEMA 10-30P to NEMA 14-50R adapter cable (converting Aunt Betty's 30 amp plug type to the PMCC 50 amp plug type) - see footnote
  8. You plug the 10-30 into the PMCC 14-50 supply cable
  9. You plug the 10-30 adapter into Aunt Betty's wall providing power to the PMCC - this is ok since the PMCC uses next to zero power if not plugged into the car…and you haven't plugged it into the car yet! right?
  10. you wait for the PMCC to boot up - you enter your PIN
  11. YOU THEN GO TO THE APPROPRIATE SETUP PAGE IN THE PMCC AND YOU ADJUST THE AMPS TO 24 AMP OR LESS BECAUSE YOU'RE PLUGGED INTO A 30 AMP CIRCUIT -AND THE PMCC THINKS IT CAN DO 40 AMPS BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE NEMA 14-50 SUPPLY CABLE ATTACHED TO THE PMCC - the PMCC has NO way to know you've attached it to a 30 amp adapter…
    1. give Aunt Betty a break - she has a 10-30 plug- which means house was built before 1970 - so to be conservative you set the amps to 20 rather than 24 just to pull slightly less current and give aunt Betty's 50 year old wires a small break…
    2. extra credit - before starting to charge the car - you go to Aunt Betty's main panel and find a 30 amp breaker - and flip the breaker and verify the PMCC loses power- once you find the correct breaker - you verify it's marked "30 amps" - cause ya never know…
  12. Now you plug the PMCC into the Taycan- and the PMCC will report to the Taycan it can provide 24 amps - Taycan will love this and promptly begin charging and not overload the 30 amp circuit, because it will only pull the 24 amps reported to it by the PMCC.
FootNote: I know Porsche PMCC sells 30 amp supply cables, and those would be preferred solution because when you attach a 30 amp porsche supply cable to the PMCC it will tell the PMCC it's a 30 amp cable and the PMCC will do the right thing - the above story/example is for illustrative purposes to demonstrate what must be done when you are connecting a high amp EVSE to a lower amp adapter cable. Again the BEST solution is to have a mobile EVSE with various adapter cable that configure the EVSE to know how many amps the current attached cable is rated. The problem will the Porsche supply cables is that an single Porsche supply cable ordered as parts is more expensive than the ENTIRE road warrior kit so they are the not cost effective solutions.

if you skip step #11 - the Taycan will try and pull 40 amp and burn Aunt Betty's house down - and this will make Aunt Betty dislike your Taycan which will make you sad because no one should dislike the Taycan.

Tesla allows you to do this for any charge session via in car controls for charging - I can plug a Tesla into a 16 amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 plug - I just have to remember to adjust the AMP's in the car to 12 amps for that charging session to avoid overloading the 16 amp circuit.

now if you don't want to remember all this, buy a mobile EVSE that automatically adjust the amps to match the plug type for the current adapter attached to the EVSE with a manufacturer provided adapter cable.

you can convert any 50 amp type plug to any other 50 amp type plug
you can convert any 30 amp type plug to any other 30 amp type plug
you can convert any 20 amp type plug to any other 20 amp type plug

it's when you start mixing plug types (20 to 50??, 30 to 40??, 16 to 50??) that is gets tricky and you really have to know what you're doing and have some way to adjust the amps of the charging session to match the power source plug.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
from my quick/cursory review of the ClipperCreek AmazingE FAST Level 2, 32 Amp EV Charging station with NEMA 14-50 plug - https://store.clippercreek.com/featured/amazing-e-fast-32-14-50

it's clipper creek and it will be a solid/reliable charger - but it does not appear to offer any method to override AMPs for a given charging session - this makes it less ideal for road warrior usage due to it's lack of configurability to adapt to the current (no pun intended) electrical situation.

it's more mobile than the PMCC and ClipperCreek makes great chargers - so it's a solid/recomended choice for a 32 amp fixed AMP mobile EVSE. But I wouldn't use it with any non-50 amp adapters. I would have no problem using it with what ever 50 amp adapter you want to carry with you (6-50, SS20, 10-50 - cause it's all the same 50 amps.)

my ideal road warrior chargers offer me direct manual control over the exact amps I'm delivering to the vehicle so that I can adapt to what ever NEMA plug I'm staring at in the middle of no where…

the goal when staring at a random plug in the middle of Montana at 2 pm Thursday afternoon at 3% battery is:
  1. get the two hots & ground that all electrical plugs have wired/connected up to my EVSE via what ever adapter fits the bill - once you have the electrical connectors wired up - it's just electricity and it will all 'work'.
  2. adjust the amps to accommodate the current reality of the situation (a 30 amp plug with a 20 amp breaker that I'm using via a 6-50 plug adapter - yeah I've run into that)
    1. I had to be able to set the charging amps to 16 amps for that situation - I used Tesla's in car controls for this - charged for 3 hours to get enough juice to make it the supercharger for which I fell a bit short.

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
#4 let's break this down

NEMA 14-30 - this is a 30 amp plug - and if you follow the continuous use rule you can only pull 80% of a rated circuit load for a given AMP circuit - so a 30 amp circuit NEMA 14-30 can only pull 24 amps - you need some way to "adjust" the amps on the EVSE (ClipperCreek) _OR_ in the car (Tesla allows this Taycan does not) so that the charge session only pull 24 amps…

#5 - NEMA TT30P is a 30 amp 120 volt circuit found in RV parks - very useful - 2.88 kW of charging power - but I'm not sure the ClipperCreek will work on 120 volts - and again if it does work on 120 volts - the ClipperCreek being plugged into. NEMA 14-50R will trick the Clipper creek into thinking it can pull 40 amps - which is incorrect for a 30 amp circuit.

So here is the scoop from Clipper Creek:
Their chargers do not provide the ability to dial down the amps from 32 to 24.

Clipper creek can run on 120 volts "if both lines are balanced or nearly so" whatever that means.

So my quest continues!
Sponsored