daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@jkjjpc I recommend either the Tesla UMC Gen2 or Mustart Intelligent version 2 - the Tesla UMC will require the use of the TeslaTap - Mustart is a straight J-1772 charger - both are 32 amps and a nice selection of NEMA plug adapters…

there are 40 amp mobile chargers - but fewer of them and for some reason lack a range of NEMA adapters.
Sponsored

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
@jkjjpc I recommend either the Tesla UMC Gen2 or Mustart Intelligent version 2 - the Tesla UMC will require the use of the TeslaTap - Mustart is a straight J-1772 charger - both are 32 amps and a nice selection of NEMA plug adapters…

there are 40 amp mobile chargers - but fewer of them and for some reason lack a range of NEMA adapters.
Thanks!

Mustart shows a 40 amp charger on the website, must be new.

https://www.mustartsolutions.com/pr...rging-station-with-nema-14-50p-update-version

But, it does not come with adapters for the NEMA 14-50 plug. Any favorite adapter kits?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I actually prefer the Mustart 32 amp charger because it has a wider range of NEMA plug adapters…

https://www.mustartsolutions.com/co...c-vehicle-charger-plug-in-ev-charging-station

they have a pretty good set of NEMA plug adapters, and for mobile charging duty the extra 8 amp (32 vs. 40) shouldn't matter int he grand scheme of things (you should be fast charging as much as possible, so mobile chargers like this are for "overnight" charging where the extra time may not make such a difference) - also if you're using _ANY_ of the adapter (other than 14-50 or 6-50) you're not charging at 40 amps any ways cause they are all slower than 40 amps for most of the adapters…

but that's my goal - and I'm optimizing for compatibility while on the road - not charging performance - i.e. I'm trying to make it so I can charge at most any plug I might encounter - if I'm using my mobile charger I'm off the beaten path and need to charge because normal EV infrastructure is missing

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
keep in mind you can adapt any NEMA plug type to any other NEMA plug type - there are adapters for pretty much every plug type to every other plug type/shape…but typically you don't want to use these adapters with EV chargers because the car may not know you're using an adapter and will attempt to pull too many amps and overheat the circuit breaker/wire causing melting/shorts/fire…

the reason I like the Mustart/TeslaUMC with specific NEMA adapters is that they also "adjust" the EV chargers (EVSE) reported maximum amps to the vehicle. If you have the NEMA 5-15 adapter on the charger it reports 12 amps maximum to the vehicle. If you have the NEMA 14-30 adapter on the charger it reports 24 amp maximum to the vehicle - so it's kinda "automatic" that the charger will do the right thing based on what adapter you currently have plugged into the EVSE…

_IF_ you have a NEMA 14-50 plug on your charger, and you get a 14-50 to 10-30 adapter from amazon the EV charger as _NO_ idea you're actually plugged into a 30 amp circuit and therefore needs to dial down the charge rate to 24 amps…this is dangerous.

So when considering a road warrior kit I'm looking for maximum compatibility and automatic amp adjustments as you swap NEMA plug adapters…I'm aware of 3 North American EVSE's that adjust the amps based on the adapter:
  1. Tesla UMC Gen2
  2. Mustart noted above
  3. PMCC
each of these 3 EVSE's are KNOWN to have adapter cables for a wide range of NEMA plugs _AND_ adjust the amps reported to the vehicle based on which adapter is currently connected to the charger - the Porsche charger is not a "recommended" option because of it's size and weight, and the truly outrageous cost vs. high quality and competitive alternatives…

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
converting NEMA plugs in the same "amp" family is NOT an issue - so I you have a NEMA 14-30 adapter for the charger - a plug adapter from amazon for 6-30, 10-30, TT-30 is _NO_ issue, because all 4 of those plug types would be 24 amp charge rate

same is true for NEMA XX-50 plug types - you can have an adapter for EV chartering that converts _ANY_ NEMA XX-50 to another NEMA YY-50 - because it the same amps…

what you don't want to do is convert a 30 amp plug to a 50 amp plug type or 50 amp to 30 amp plug type - that's where trouble lies…

Chedman13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GL63 Brabus B63 Widestar, Awaiting Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@daveo4EV I'm now building my mobile kit. Can you confirm which option you prefer?

I have already:
TeslaTap Mini 80 amp with case to charge at hotels.
Porsche Taycan EV Roadwarrior adapters “kit” 1630446475258

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=160

My next step is to purchase the actual mobile kit.

Option 1:
Porsche Taycan EV Roadwarrior adapters “kit” 1630446520313

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-mobile-connector-bundle
and
Porsche Taycan EV Roadwarrior adapters “kit” 1630446552563

https://shop.tesla.com/product/nema-adapter-bundle

Option 2:
Porsche Taycan EV Roadwarrior adapters “kit” 1630446605586

https://www.mustartsolutions.com/co...rent-mustart-travelmaster-level2-ev-charger-1

Which should I go for? This is for only mobile use on the road.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
option 1 or 2 are basically equivlent - the Tesla option comes with more NEMA adapters by default, but Mustart has equivalent choices but no nice “kit” where they are all bundled - if you get the Tesal Mobile charger you’ll need to _ALWAYS_ use the TeslaTap which is a slight pain but not too bad - I carry Tesla mobile charger around with me - but that’s pre-existing condition. the mustart might have the slight edge because you can adjust amps via the LCD screen - there is no control on the Tesla UMC - so you can’t adjust amperage.

adjusting amperage give the Mustart the edge in my opinion and the fact that it’s “native” J-1772 you won’t have to use the TeslaTap everytime you use your mobile charger.

Chedman13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GL63 Brabus B63 Widestar, Awaiting Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Perfect, makes my decision easy. I'm going with Option 2. Thanks as usual David. I've never had to do so much research for a car I still don't have yet!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
@daveo4EV - Dave - I guess I got caught up in the recommendations re 60A TeslaTap and purchased that model and did not really consider the 80A. So can you explain what optionality I am losing by having a 60A TeslTap vs an 80A as I (perhaps mistakenly) thought the 60A would accommodate the vast majority of Tesla L2 destination chargers - am I simply missing out on a potential higher charge rate if available or are there certain Tesla L2 chargers I cannot actually use with a 60A TeslaTap?
Thx in advance, C.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dave - I guess I got caught up in the recommendations re 60A TeslaTap and purchased that model and did not really consider the 80A. So can you explain what optionality I am losing by having a 60A TeslTap vs an 80A as I (perhaps mistakenly) thought the 60A would accommodate the vast majority to Tesla L2 destination chargers - am I simply missing out on a potential higher charge rate if available or are there certain Tesla L2 chargers I cannot actually use with a 60A TeslaTap?
Thx in advance, C.
you only need the 80 amp model _IF_ any of the following is true:
  • you have order the 19.2 kW charging option for your Taycan
  • you only want to buy 1 (one) TeslaTap ever in your life and you need to future proof it for your LucidAir or Rivian EV or Hummer or FutureEV all of which may offer 19.2 kW charging options
    • or you plan to order your MacanEV with the 19.2 kW charging option and want to use the TeslaTap with it.
    • eTron GT or SUV w/19.2 kW
  • you end up using the TeslaTap with someone else‘s EV at an greater than 60 amp Tesla Wall Charger (you loan your TeslaTap to some one else)
if you have a standard Taycan and only use the TeslaTap with your standard Taycan it will never pull more than 48/60 amps - so the 60 will work for you with no issues.

80 amp‘s is for people with powerful over the top 19.2 kW EV’s :rock::cool::D - unless you have the 19.2 kW charging option I’m wholly unconcerned.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
you only need the 80 amp model _IF_ any of the following is true:
  • you have order the 19.2 kW charging option for your Taycan
  • you only want to buy 1 (one) TeslaTap ever in your life and you need to future proof it for your LucidAir or Rivian EV or Hummer or FutureEV all of which may offer 19.2 kW charging options
    • or you plan to order your MacanEV with the 19.2 kW charging option and want to use the TeslaTap with it.
    • eTron GT or SUV w/19.2 kW
  • you end up using the TeslaTap with someone else‘s EV at an greater than 60 amp Tesla Wall Charger (you loan your TeslaTap to some one else)
if you have a standard Taycan and only use the TeslaTap with your standard Taycan it will never pull more than 48/60 amps - so the 60 will work for you with no issues.

80 amp‘s is for people with powerful over the top 19.2 kW EV’s :rock::cool::D - unless you have the 19.2 kW charging option I’m wholly unconcerned.
Sanity restored - I was essentially aware of this but began to doubt myself for some reason :)
Thx as always for clarifying,
Cheers, C.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@daveo4EV - Dave - I guess I got caught up in the recommendations re 60A TeslaTap and purchased that model and did not really consider the 80A. So can you explain what optionality I am losing by having a 60A TeslTap vs an 80A as I (perhaps mistakenly) thought the 60A would accommodate the vast majority of Tesla L2 destination chargers - am I simply missing out on a potential higher charge rate if available or are there certain Tesla L2 chargers I cannot actually use with a 60A TeslaTap?
Thx in advance, C.
when _ANY_ EV plugs into a charger there is a negotiation that takes place:
  • the EVSE (the external charger like the Tesla Wall charger) publishes/tells the vehicle the maximum power it can provide
  • the car knows the maximum power it can “accept” - know thy-self
  • if the charger says I can do 16 amps - the vehicle will lower it’s charging demands to 16 amps
  • if the charger says I can do 80 amps - the Taycan will say - ”well darn it all I can only do 48 amps” so I guess that’s all I’ll ever do
    • the car will NEVER pull more than the vehicle can handle - it’s impossible - so even a more powerful charger is “safe” cause the car can’t do no more
  • if the charger is more wimpy than the car - looking at you 16 amp Nissan Leaf Chargers - your Taycan will shrug it’s shoulders and say - “oh well guess 16 amps is all we get, better than nothing” to avoid overloading the poor wimpy Nissan Leaf charger
_IF_ you ever have charged your Taycan with the PMC+/PMCC with the normal household outlet you’ve encountered this sitaution - the Taycan can charge at almost 12 kW - but when plugged into a PMC+/PMCC w/the NEMA 5-15 supply cable it simply trickle charges at like 1.44 kW cause that’s all the charger is currently offering.

60 amps is fine if you’re using it with a “stock” Taycan.

Last edited:

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
option 1 or 2 are basically equivlent - the Tesla option comes with more NEMA adapters by default, but Mustart has equivalent choices but no nice “kit” where they are all bundled - if you get the Tesal Mobile charger you’ll need to _ALWAYS_ use the TeslaTap which is a slight pain but not too bad - I carry Tesla mobile charger around with me - but that’s pre-existing condition. the mustart might have the slight edge because you can adjust amps via the LCD screen - there is no control on the Tesla UMC - so you can’t adjust amperage.

adjusting amperage give the Mustart the edge in my opinion and the fact that it’s “native” J-1772 you won’t have to use the TeslaTap everytime you use your mobile charger.
I have the Mustart Travelmaster EVSE, and just for clarification, you can’t adjust the amps on the LCD (at least not on mine). The EVSE automatically adjusts the amps based on which supply “pigtail” is plugged in.

Porsche Taycan EV Roadwarrior adapters “kit” 65DF1FBE-EC5B-40E2-ACDB-43C6828D0556

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the different between 40/60/80 TeslaTap‘s should not be any functional differences - it’s simply the quality/thickness/gauge of wire - different AMP levels have different required wire-gauges to avoid overheating and potentially melting during a long’ish charging session

you _CAN_ use a 40 amp TeslaTap w/19.2 kW Taycan - and it will actually work and if you’re plugged into a 19.2 kW Tesla Charger your Taycan _WILL_ charge at 19.2 kW using your 40 amp TeslaTap

THIS HOWEVER IS NOT RECOMMENDED - YOU WILL BE STRESSING THE TESLA TAP AND IF YOU RUN IT THIS WAY FOR TOO LONG (2 OR MORE HOURS???) IT WILL MOST LIKELY MELT - THE MELTING MIGHT CAUSE A SPARK/SHORT - AND SOMETHING MAY CATCH FIRE UP TO AND INCLUDING YOUR TAYCAN!! BAD BAD BAD JUJU TO USE A 40/60 AMP TESLATAP WITH 80 AMP CHARGERS AND 80 AMP EV’S (19.2 KW) - NOT RECOMMENDED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT

charging with a 40 amp TeslaTap @ 19.2 kW for 10 min or less isn’t going to cause a problem - nothing will overheat/melt…

the TeslaTap “ratings” are not “limits” of what they will restrict your charging to - they are capacity recommendations in terms of having confidence the tap won’t melt during high AMP usage.

To date I’ve not seen or had proven to me the TeslaTap actively limits the charging current - it’s a passive pass-through device that does not modify the AC power _OR_ the J-1772 signals provided by the external charger

you want the “bigger” TeslaTaps so that they don’t melt under high amp loads - melting is bad and may cause fires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the Mustart Travelmaster EVSE, and just for clarification, you can’t adjust the amps on the LCD (at least not on mine). The EVSE automatically adjusts the amps based on which supply “pigtail” is plugged in.

65DF1FBE-EC5B-40E2-ACDB-43C6828D0556.jpeg
thank you for the clarification - I thought the Mustart‘s LCD screen would provide some AMP control - I stand corrected - the proper way to adjust amps is to use the correct supply cord - but sometimes even with the correct cord it’s useful to adjust amps lower to avoid overloading old or poorly maintained circuit breakers such as outdoor one’s found at various RV parks or racetracks (thunderhill cough cough cough)

I’ve found the ability to plug into NEMA 14-50 plug which should charge at 40 amps - taxes Thunderhill’s RV plugs and being able to adjust amps down to say 36 amps greatly enhances charging relaibilty at Thunderhill…

the Mustart is maximum 32 amp charger so you get an automaticly lower rate on NEMA 14-50 plulgs since it will only ever do 32 amps

so you can’t adjust amps on the LCD screen of the Mustart?

Chalk up a “win” for the PMCC

however porsche really should have this functionality in the vehicle so that you can compensation for poorly provisioned public chargers that often times can’t run at maximum amps for several hours - I have found these in SF for example - they claim 30 amps but keep dropping off line at 30 amps - but with my Tesla I could plug in and lower the amps to like 26 amps - and these chargers would run much longer with no session interruptions.