Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
the Mustart is maximum 32 amp charger so you get an automaticly lower rate on NEMA 14-50 plulgs since it will only ever do 32 amps

so you can’t adjust amps on the LCD screen of the Mustart?
I looked all over it and tried pressing the screen and anything that could be a button. Nothing made any difference. I reviewed the documentation, and it states as follows:

"AUTOMATIC DETECTION OF SAFETY MAXIMUM CHARGING POWER: Simply connect the proper adapting plug and start charging. The TRAVELMASTER portable electric vehicle charging station automatically detects which adapting plug is plugged in and starts charging at the maximum charging power. No need to calculate how many kilowatt hours you can charge, so you can charge safely while saving valuable time."
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I looked all over it and tried pressing the screen and anything that could be a button. Nothing made any difference. I reviewed the documentation, and it states as follows:

"AUTOMATIC DETECTION OF SAFETY MAXIMUM CHARGING POWER: Simply connect the proper adapting plug and start charging. The TRAVELMASTER portable electric vehicle charging station automatically detects which adapting plug is plugged in and starts charging at the maximum charging power. No need to calculate how many kilowatt hours you can charge, so you can charge safely while saving valuable time."
yeah I like having hte maximum set for me by the attached supply cable - but I’d like the option to go lower (not higher) that the rated maximum for a given supply cable

a 30 amp suppy cable should/can only do 24 amps safely

I like EVSE’s that can charge at any AMP level up to the maximum (but not higher) - so if you’re using a 30 amp cable - 24 amps is the maximum - but sometimes it might be nice to be able to set it to 18 amps to avoid flaky circuit breakers

bummer the Mustart doesn’t have a setting to lower amps from current maximum.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
The Mustart Travelmaster shows the NEMA 5-15 plug adapter drawing 15 amps. Is this the case? Anybody actually tested this? Does not seem very safe or code friendly.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
The Mustart Travelmaster shows the NEMA 5-15 plug adapter drawing 15 amps. Is this the case? Anybody actually tested this? Does not seem very safe or code friendly.
I don’t remember the exact wording, but the manual says something to the effect of “only use the 5-15 supply cable on a circuit protected by a 20A circuit breaker”. Not ideal, but I have to admit I have not seen a 15A circuit breaker in a box in a long time.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t remember the exact wording, but the manual says something to the effect of “only use the 5-15 supply cable on a circuit protected by a 20A circuit breaker”. Not ideal, but I have to admit I have not seen a 15A circuit breaker in a box in a long time.
thing that make you go “hmmmm“ this seems risky for them.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
it is now nearly Oct. of 2021 and the EV world is different - we can re-evaluate and update our plans, dream, hopes and aspirations

I have a new "core" recommendation for those wishing to have a road warrior kit but one that is more focused, affordable, smaller and greater ultilization…

please see the following link…for a tighter and more focused recommendation.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...road-warrior-ev-charging-kit.6812/#post-97836

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
appears decent but lacks plug adapters for 30 amp outlets - also I don‘t see any description of the “auto” detect (which is impossible IMHO) - it does have the NEMA 5-15 adapter, but it’s $150 more than the Mustart and nearly $200 more than the Tesla Gen2 UMC both of which have more NEMA plug adapters…

it’s a fine choice, but not sure it’s the best choice, and a bit pricey for what it is.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
appears decent but lacks plug adapters for 30 amp outlets - also I don‘t see any description of the “auto” detect (which is impossible IMHO) - it does have the NEMA 5-15 adapter, but it’s $150 more than the Mustart and nearly $200 more than the Tesla Gen2 UMC both of which have more NEMA plug adapters…

it’s a fine choice, but not sure it’s the best choice, and a bit pricey for what it is.
If what Shell is selling is true they have a huge advantage over Tesla and Mustart. 40 amp charging.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
40 amp's is better than 32 - no question - but when I"m using these mobile connectors often it's for a sub-40 amp connection - but yeah if you're planning on a lot of NEMA 14-50 visits then this is a great option.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
40 amp's is better than 32 - no question - but when I"m using these mobile connectors often it's for a sub-40 amp connection - but yeah if you're planning on a lot of NEMA 14-50 visits then this is a great option.
That’s the whole point of this. It is supposed automatically adapt to lower than 40 amp whether you believe it or not. If it doesn’t then Shell is in trouble.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
thing that make you go “hmmmm“ this seems risky for them.
So whilst the circuit might be able to take 15A continuous load because it’s got a 20A breaker, what about the receptacle itself? Will a 15A outlet be okay running a continuous 15A draw? From the wisdom extracted from this forum, it would seem that it should draw no more than 12A if running for more than 3 hours to not overload the outlet (even if the wiring/breaker could handle more).

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
So whilst the circuit might be able to take 15A continuous load because it’s got a 20A breaker, what about the receptacle itself? Will a 15A outlet be okay running a continuous 15A draw? From the wisdom extracted from this forum, it would seem that it should draw no more than 12A if running for more than 3 hours to not overload the outlet (even if the wiring/breaker could handle more).
I found this on the internet (so it must be true...haha):

"most 15A and 20A receptacles are internally identical (only the face differs). That means that you really can’t “overload” a 15A receptacle so long as you don’t exceed 20A on the “yoke”. But I said “most” which means there could be exceptions. That doesn’t mean you should violate electrical codes; I’m just pointing out a reality.

The reason they are identical internally is to reduce manufacturing costs by reducing the amount of tooling required and changing production runs in the factory. Besides, they have to support 20A passthrough connections anyway, as most receptacles are designed to allow daisy chaining in the circuit, and they could “legally” be installed on a 20A circuit."

Take that for what its worth.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I found this on the internet (so it must be true...haha):

"most 15A and 20A receptacles are internally identical (only the face differs). That means that you really can’t “overload” a 15A receptacle so long as you don’t exceed 20A on the “yoke”. But I said “most” which means there could be exceptions. That doesn’t mean you should violate electrical codes; I’m just pointing out a reality.

The reason they are identical internally is to reduce manufacturing costs by reducing the amount of tooling required and changing production runs in the factory. Besides, they have to support 20A passthrough connections anyway, as most receptacles are designed to allow daisy chaining in the circuit, and they could “legally” be installed on a 20A circuit."

Take that for what its worth.
Thank you - makes sense, I read this morning about the fact that the wiring pins on the 15A receptacle could be handling a load of 20A because of the total load on the circuit on which it sits.

It's interesting, the Mustart comes with a 50A plug, which is well documented as being used on 40A dedicated circuits as there is no 40A plug; and the unit itself draws only 32A - so it would seem it's making decision based on being able to plug into a 50A outlet connect to a 40A circuit.

I wonder if they made the 15A decision based on the same principle, that typically these are part of a 20A circuit. Interesting Porsche with their PMCC does not allow us to set the charging rate as high as 15A - maybe the Germans are more conservative than the Chinese.

Not a big concern for me, as my primary use case is the 50A plug in a 40A receptacle; or travel. But wanted to know how "safe" the 15A application was.
Sponsored