WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
My EVSE installer has advised me that my unit will shortly be due a recommended annual service, comprising:
EV charge unit clean and inspection; EV charge cable clean and inspection; Check internal connections; Plug in test.
£100.
Anyone ever had any issues with their EVSE that such a basic routine would have avoided? I'd assumed that anything needing attention would be flagged by the network's own remote diagnostics checks.
Unlike some of the things I do pay to get annually maintained, I don't see any compelling case for me for this one, but I don't want to dismiss it without consulting those with longer experience of such devices. (EDIT- my starting position is that it's just an opportunity for the installers to get a regular revenue stream).
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My EVSE installer has advised me that my unit will shortly be due a recommended annual service, comprising:
EV charge unit clean and inspection; EV charge cable clean and inspection; Check internal connections; Plug in test.
£100.
Anyone ever had any issues with their EVSE that such a basic routine would have avoided? I'd assumed that anything needing attention would be flagged by the network's own remote diagnostics checks.
Unlike some of the things I do pay to get annually maintained, I don't see any compelling case for me for this one, but I don't want to dismiss it without consulting those with longer experience of such devices.
Never considered it or felt it necessary so I think you can skip. If I were a cynic I'd say this was a bit of a rip off.

Periodically check the cables - supply and the receptacle to ensure no signs of over heating.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
It's not a boiler! Rip off!

If that price included periodic cable replacements or something – then maybe – but its just an "inspection".

MBAZ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i4, M5, Taycan GTS. 911 Cab
Country flag
I hate to ask how much they charged you to install it. I own several EVSE's and currently have 2 installed now that have never needed any "service". Very much a scam IMHO.

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I hate to ask how much they charged you to install it. I own several EVSE's and currently have 2 installed now that have never needed any "service". Very much a scam IMHO.
I think it was just under £200 and that included new cabling for an uprated supply from the house to the garage.
I wouldn't be surprised if, once their travel costs and time are taken in to account, their margins aren't unreasonable (compared with other home callout services)- but that of course, doesn't necessarily make it any better VFM for me.

MBAZ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i4, M5, Taycan GTS. 911 Cab
Country flag
I think it was just under £200 and that included new cabling for an uprated supply from the house to the garage.
I wouldn't be surprised if, once their travel costs and time are taken in to account, their margins aren't unreasonable (compared with other home callout services)- but that of course, doesn't necessarily make it any better VFM for me.
£200 is reasonable. I still do not see the necessity for an annual service though.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
£100.
Unlike some of the things I do pay to get annually maintained, I don't see any compelling case for me for this one, but I don't want to dismiss it without consulting those with longer experience of such devices. (EDIT- my starting position is that it's just an opportunity for the installers to get a regular revenue stream).
In the years I’ve had them I’ve never had *any* EVSE annually serviced - and I’ve had installed and run everything from Tesla gen2 wall chargers up to 50 kW DC units with work.

Out in the sticks in summer it’s possible that wasps and insects will ‘fill’ the connectors on the Type 2 connector with muddy dust crud, but you can just (carefully) pick/brush that out.

Otherwise nothing to maintain or service - no filters or fans even which is something you have on the much larger units (and possibly POS/active software/network etc. which requires a service agreement). But on domestic units, nah. None of that.