Excessive Tire Punctures - Anyone else?

991carreradriver

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan, 2016 GT3, 2020 Durango RT
Country flag
Perhaps its just my bad luck, poor roads or something else.
I have had one punctured tire from 2014 through early 2021 on mostly Sport Cup 2's and Pilot Sports until my Taycan. I have had two punctured tires from screws on my Taycan in the last 3500 miles. Is my experience a one off or is this something that others are seeing? I am starting to think that the weight of the car has something to do with it.
Advertisement

Silveral

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am thinking the same, although since we're both located in the Northeast, it may be just horrible roads. I have been noticing that newly paved roads are already bouncy, crooked.....I wished I were in Florida.....That's why I am glad I paid up for the Tire&Wheel Insurance, which is working spotlessly

KensingtonPark

Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2020 Audi A7; 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT; 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Country flag
I don't believe it is entirely bad luck or car-related. Since the pandemic, my area has seen a crazy increase in home remodeling and construction, as so many people are now upgrading their homes to be suitable for work/school from home. Dumpsters, piles of construction garbage and private trash haulers are on every street weekly. The cleanup and repair projects necessitated by Hurricane Ida has made this even worse. I suspect there are significantly more screws and nails littering the landscape than there have been in the past.

That said, the car is indeed heavy with very wide tires. So there is probably a slightly lower likelihood that you can pass harmlessly over a screw or nail on the road than with a lighter, narrower-tired car.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Perhaps its just my bad luck, poor roads or something else.
I have had one punctured tire from 2014 through early 2021 on mostly Sport Cup 2's and Pilot Sports until my Taycan. I have had two punctured tires from screws on my Taycan in the last 3500 miles. Is my experience a one off or is this something that others are seeing? I am starting to think that the weight of the car has something to do with it.
I have 10,000 miles on my Taycan Turbo with NO tire issues at all. Actually I haven't had a single issue with the car at all. If you get a nail or a screw in your tire its going flat no matter what car you drive.

YWGT3

Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, BMW 650i
Country flag
I'm in the commercial real estate business. Learned early onwards and with many tire repairs to speak of, to avoid driving by construction sites, especially residential, where nails, screws, and other metal objects seem to inevitably find their way onto the asphalt.

Vercingetorix

Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
One screw and one pothole so far for the Taycan. Both required new tires. 5 total flats so far this year. 4 have been non repairable. Road hazard has been a worthwhile investment. On a first name basis at Discount Tire:angry:.

OP
OP
991carreradriver

991carreradriver

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan, 2016 GT3, 2020 Durango RT
Country flag
One screw and one pothole so far for the Taycan. Both required new tires. 5 total flats so far this year. 4 have been non repairable. Road hazard has been a worthwhile investment. On a first name basis at Discount Tire:angry:.
And I thought I had a problem!

menzz

Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
I'm in the commercial real estate business. Learned early onwards and with many tire repairs to speak of, to avoid driving by construction sites, especially residential, where nails, screws, and other metal objects seem to inevitably find their way onto the asphalt.
That’s why I always park further away from my sites and walk the rest

Advertisement

ZYRUS
Advertisement