Experience with Bay Area Porsche Dealers

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
Talking to Porsche Fremont and Porsche San Jose and was curious to hear 1st experiences of folks here who got their Taycans from either dealer - the good, bad and the ugly. San Jose seems more responsive and claims they have available allocation vs Fremont (they said will find out and get back to me if there is available allocation - strange answer) but no other data point from my end yet. Also, should we go ahead with the order or should we wait for the chip shortage situation to correct and production to get back to normal. Welcome all inputs, advice and guidance. Many thanks in advance!
Sponsored

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
Best dealers I've spoken to so far: Stevens Creek (San Jose) and Walnut Creek. I've also heard many good things about Marin. These folks seem to have good allocations and are generally responsive.

I have not had as a great an experience with Fremont or Livermore. Neither one seems to get many allocations and their communication hasn't been stellar. I'll be going to one of these for service so I am hoping that's better.

I would not expect to get any discounts against MSRP pricing with any of the local dealers. I would push back against any additional market adjustments since we have several dealers in the area.

If you're dead set on a custom build, I think the best bet is to get an allocation from out of state dealer in a state where EVs are not in demand. Have it shipped to either the LA Delivery center, or straight to you. The chip shortage is likely going to continue into next year so if you want a car anytime in the next 4-6 months, it's probably best to get an order in soon.

I personally gave up on custom builds after watching threads here and hearing from dealers about delays on custom builds or cars sitting in ports. The inventory cars seem to be taking priority so I picked one up from a dealer in Florida who will ship it to me in a few weeks.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a good sales experience with Porsche of Redwood City. They matched an offer from another dealer without hassle and they did not try to sell questionable protection or maintenance plans. The sales person also helped setup my Porsche account and paired it with the car.
It was one of the smoothest dealer transactions I ever had.

PTEastBay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (June), X7, E-class Wagon
Country flag
Best dealers I've spoken to so far: Stevens Creek (San Jose) and Walnut Creek. I've also heard many good things about Marin. These folks seem to have good allocations and are generally responsive.

I have not had as a great an experience with Fremont or Livermore. Neither one seems to get many allocations and their communication hasn't been stellar. I'll be going to one of these for service so I am hoping that's better.

I would not expect to get any discounts against MSRP pricing with any of the local dealers. I would push back against any additional market adjustments since we have several dealers in the area.

If you're dead set on a custom build, I think the best bet is to get an allocation from out of state dealer in a state where EVs are not in demand. Have it shipped to either the LA Delivery center, or straight to you. The chip shortage is likely going to continue into next year so if you want a car anytime in the next 4-6 months, it's probably best to get an order in soon.

I personally gave up on custom builds after watching threads here and hearing from dealers about delays on custom builds or cars sitting in ports. The inventory cars seem to be taking priority so I picked one up from a dealer in Florida who will ship it to me in a few weeks.
I had a good experience buying from Walnut Creek, they move a lot of Taycans. Agreed that Livermore and Fremont were not very responsive, I assumed because they did not have allocations. livermore has been good for service however.

OP
OP

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
Thanks for the answers and tips. When ordering from an out of state dealer, do they charge additional shipping on top of the destination charge? Any recommendations on specific out-of-state dealers who have allocations and (fingers crossed) provide good discounts? I have never paid market adjustment premiums and don’t plan to start now. ;-)

The reason for a custom build in my boss’s case is we haven’t seen any inventory car which is cheaper and not loaded with stuff we don’t want.

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
Thanks for the answers and tips. When ordering from an out of state dealer, do they charge additional shipping on top of the destination charge? Any recommendations on specific out-of-state dealers who have allocations and (fingers crossed) provide good discounts? I have never paid market adjustment premiums and don’t plan to start now. ;-)

The reason for a custom build in my boss’s case is we haven’t seen any inventory car which is cheaper and not loaded with stuff we don’t want.
Yes, I was quoted anywhere from $1.5-$2K for out of state delivery, in addition to destination charges. This was definitely negotiable even if the price of the car was not.

I have a list of dealers and contacts, but I did not pursue custom builds and allocations through them. I ran into the same issue of finding lots of inventory which was over-spec'd but there are some tips/tricks I can share. PM me if you want some tips.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I bought my Taycan through Porsche Fremont, but my one service experience there was horrible. I've had consistently good experiences with my 911 (and one with my Taycan) at Porsche Burlingame.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag

[/QUOTE]

Just regarding the purchase from out of state comment. I was searching for an "inventory base Taycan" that had the options that were important to me on the car. I found a few that were close, but I wanted the air suspension and none of the "inventory" cars had it. I was going to have to go with my second choice wheels, or interior. Unless it is sitting on the lot, you are going to be waiting for the dealer to get their allocations anyways which have the same delays as the custom builds.

I found a dealer close to me with an allocation that had not finalized and we changed it up to my build at the very end of June, and yes its tied up at the port, but should be here in a week or two. I would rather get what I want with a custom build than settle and especially at this price point.

VA_CT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Macan, 2022 4CT
Country flag
So far I have had good sales experience with Porsche redwood city. My SA has been responsive and knowledgeable on various options.

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
Just regarding the purchase from out of state comment. I was searching for an "inventory base Taycan" that had the options that were important to me on the car. I found a few that were close, but I wanted the air suspension and none of the "inventory" cars had it. I was going to have to go with my second choice wheels, or interior. Unless it is sitting on the lot, you are going to be waiting for the dealer to get their allocations anyways which have the same delays as the custom builds.

I found a dealer close to me with an allocation that had not finalized and we changed it up to my build at the very end of June, and yes its tied up at the port, but should be here in a week or two. I would rather get what I want with a custom build than settle and especially at this price point.
I agree, there are definitely options on certain trims that you will not be able to get via inventory, unless the car is really heavily optioned at a very high price. If you're set on having those options, then it's best to find a way to make a custom build happen, especially since no one is really getting below MSRP on any inventory right now.

markrm61

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan, 2014 S4
Country flag
Interesting varied experiences here. I just had an easy transaction with Porsche Marin for my Taycan. They’re part of the Indigo Group which owns four dealerships, that helps with inventory.

I bought my 911 from Porsche Fremont, but wouldn’t recommend. Their post sale service was not good.

Porsche Burlingame serviced my 911 and did a decent job, although sales for the Taycan was a miss. The salesman wasn’t very engaging and didn’t come through on his promises to follow up.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S6, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I too got my Taycan from Porsche Walnut Creek and had it serviced there. My experience has been good.
Sponsored