OP
OP

wafergold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla s
Country flag
There is no way I am paying $100k-plus for plastic seats (although they are good for the kid's wet bathing suit).
I have a 2017 was still real leather. I 'm not planning to buy a new Tesla.
Sponsored

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
The Taycan can charge at 270Kwh. How fast can a model S charge? Honest question, I have no idea.

Range is meaningless if you have to stop for a long time to recharge. In the end, what matters is how many minutes you take from point A to point B.

If you have to do 600km and If the range difference between two cars is like 50km but the car with the greater range spends 50 minutes to recharge while the other does the same in 20 min, in the end, the shorter range car wins.

Obviously that depends on available infrastructure but do the test somewhere with an excellent infrastructure for both cars (Germany?) I'm pretty sure about the results.

OP
OP

wafergold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla s
Country flag
The Taycan can charge at 270Kwh. How fast can a model S charge? Honest question, I have no idea.

Range is meaningless if you have to stop for a long time to recharge. In the end, what matters is how many minutes you take from point A to point B.

If you have to do 600km and If the range difference between two cars is like 50km but the car with the greater range spends 50 minutes to recharge while the other does the same in 20 min, in the end, the shorter range car wins.

Obviously that depends on available infrastructure but do the test somewhere with an excellent infrastructure for both cars (Germany?) I'm pretty sure about the results.
Correct. If I compare with my old S (2017 - max 140kw) I should do 30min. better with the Taycan . But with the new models of 2021 the Tesla charge much faster 250kw . The peak drop garder than the 800v tech used in the Taycan. At the end on a trip of 950km I would do 9h57 with Taycan, 9h37 with new model S. I think the new platform PPE that will be used for Macan and A6 etron with 100kw battery and 800v (+ 2x400v high speed 270kw) will be the good choice. Probably in Taycan 2.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I had a 911 before . I know how it feels. Unfortunately driving the Taycan as it is today didn't bring me what I was expecting from it. I'm waiting for luxury, fun and when I need to have the car taking a little bit control, so I can answer my mails or when I have a drive of 10h , to do it . Speed less than my S , a little more luxurious for sure but not has you might expect from these pricepoint. Audi Gt is then better.
No car is currently capable of self driving (currently), to the extent you can answer your emails instead of paying attention. That's a use-case that should not exist at all as it stands, imo. No matter what 'certification' they have. Anyone thinking they can do this is delusional and dangerous if they do it

Last edited:

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Correct. If I compare with my old S (2017 - max 140kw) I should do 30min. better with the Taycan . But with the new models of 2021 the Tesla charge much faster 250kw . The peak drop garder than the 800v tech used in the Taycan. At the end on a trip of 950km I would do 9h57 with Taycan, 9h37 with new model S. I think the new platform PPE that will be used for Macan and A6 etron with 100kw battery and 800v (+ 2x400v high speed 270kw) will be the good choice. Probably in Taycan 2.
100kWh (not kw) is gross. Taycan's gross is 93,4kWh.
Are you really expecting significantly more range from this? - Come on.

Your trip calculation is totally wrong in practice. I have Tesla and Taycan as well. Real world charging time is significantly less with a Taycan.
High speed consumption is better with the Taycan because of the two speed transmission. It revs lower when the speed is higher resulting better economy (and better acceleration at higher speed range).
Tesla is a great car in many ways, but real travel time with relatively higher speed is better with the Taycan.
Tesla's economy is great up to 110kph. At constant 140-160kmh on the German autobahn Taycan is way better. This is a personal real life experience not ABRP calculation.
With the note of that our Tesla is a great car on many other ways.

Last edited:

AlexanderS

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 40i G05, M4 CS, S560 coupe
Country flag
Just talked to the dealer.
He said that in the spring there will be a presentation of the new Cayenne with the delivery of the first cars in the middle/ end of summer. Then there will be 992.2 or panamera. And only then taycan. The new Cayenne will take over the dashboard of the taikan and most likely the central console. So the taikan will remain relevant for some time. So I registered here to learn everything about taycan as my first EV🤘

OP
OP

wafergold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla s
Country flag
No car is currently capable of self driving (currently), to the extent you can answer your emails instead of paying attention. That's a use-case that should not exist at all as it stands, imo. No matter what 'certification' they have. Anyone thinking they can do this is delusional and dangerous if they do it
In traffic jam at speed of 50km/h?

OP
OP

wafergold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla s
Country flag
100kWh (not kw) is gross. Taycan's gross is 93,4kWh.
Are you really expecting significantly more range from this? - Come on.

Your trip calculation is totally wrong in practice. I have Tesla and Taycan as well. Real world charging time is significantly less with a Taycan.
High speed consumption is better with the Taycan because of the two speed transmission. It revs lower when the speed is higher resulting better economy (and better acceleration at higher speed range).
Tesla is a great car in many ways, but real travel time with relatively higher speed is better with the Taycan.
Tesla's economy is great up to 110kph. At constant 140-160kmh on the German autobahn Taycan is way better. This is a personal real life experience not ABRP calculation.
With the note of that our Tesla is a great car on many other ways.
100kw/h vs 84kw/h usable .

But yes because like you said consumption is beter with the 2 speed and the 800v charge I expect a real difference.. they are 2 great car .

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
100kw/h vs 84kw/h usable .

But yes because like you said consumption is beter with the 2 speed and the 800v charge I expect a real difference.. they are 2 great car .
NO. You are saying things without any background continuously.
"a gross capacity of 100 kWh (96 to 98 kWh usable)."
See: https://www.motor1.com/news/621536/2024-porsche-macan-specs-announced/

2-4kWh buffer seem very little, will result much higher degradation than the existing Taycan's almost 10kWh buffer.

So usable 96kWh vs. 84kWh next to the heavier and less Cw effective SUV body style that will result more or less equal range EV Macan per existing Taycan in best case scenario.

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Tesla converts are always welcome, but the “look what my Tesla could already almost do 5Y ago” narrative is getting a bit stale. A Tesla is plastic and vegan vinyl “leather” with an ugly IKEA dashboard and AliXpress iPad. It’s not a passionate connoisseur‘s car.
Appliance vs. Driver's machine.