wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I've NO IDEA who you might be referencing here!

Nice job of documenting the situation Dave. BTW, my HCS-60 shows up tomorrow. My electrician is replacing the 50-amp breaker with a 60-amp breaker on Saturday, and the PMCC will go back in its designated carry bag in the truck! And before you ask, the circuit was originally installed with 6 AWG wire. Oh, and my electrician isn't bothering to pull the meter or power down the panel when changing the breaker! :eek:
In my experience, not even turning off the master breaker is normal. Had to leave the garage and not be nearby when the electricIans installed a metal conduit within inches of the utility side of the master breaker. They must not have seen the after effects of a plasma explosion!

dredman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2020 Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, previously 2019 BMW M5, 2016 BMW 5.0 X6, BMW N54 335i, BMW N54 Z4 35i, Nissan 350Z, Jeep Wrangler 4.0, Mazda Miata.
Country flag
I’ve read so many things my head hurts. So @daveo4EV - seems you have a lot of knowledge here. I’m having a 14-50 receptacle installed to a new 50a circuit. I think that’s the standard move. I purchased the PMCC but I’m reading it’s only going to handle a max of 32a producing far less than the 11kW charge rate. Is that correct? And if so, do I buy something else for my garage wall charger needs and use the PMCC as my mobile? Is the PMCC as good as the Tesla Gen2 mobile charger? I guess my simple question is what’s the ideal set up in the garage and when mobile? Thanks!
I also charged at ~11kW on L2. I just had a ChargePoint flex hardwire installed today on a 60A circuit - car is pulling 11kW (10.86 iirc) on RHS socket - didn’t try LHS. I opted not to use my fancy Porsche charger as the flex is outside and now a permanent house fixture.

This is in California - 60A circuit to sustain 48A per code, IIRC.

I’m pleased I have the option but I don’t plan on home charging much as there is an EA 150kW setup 2 miles from home, and conveniently close to Starbucks :)
Sponsored