Faint high pitch noise

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I speced noise insulated glass because I wanted to enjoy driving in silence. However, I noticed recently that there is faint, high pitch noise inside my Taycan, reminding me of transformer coil whine, if I was to estimate it is somewhere around 14KHz in pitch (so pretty high). I am not sure where it's coming from, or whether it depends on car speed at least yet, but it does seem to come and go (e.g. not there when parked, almost always there at 50mph). Has anyone else come across this?

EDIT: new information, this noise occurs between 47-53mph, but only in Sport driving mode, and only if the Sport Mode was enabled from the start. Switching the driving mode to Normal and back to Sport, makes the noise go away until the car slows down and accelerated into the above speed window again.
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I speced noise insulated glass because I wanted to enjoy driving in silence. However, I noticed recently that there is faint, high pitch noise inside my Taycan, reminding me of transformer coil whine, if I was to estimate it is somewhere around 14KHz in pitch (so pretty high). I am not sure where it's coming from, or whether it depends on car speed at least yet, but it does seem to come and go (e.g. not there when parked, almost always there at 50mph). Has anyone else come across this?
Either driver cockpit display or HUD where fitted.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I got new piece of diagnostics information. The high pitch noise appears to be coming from the back, it's louder if the back seats are down. However, here is the most important thing I have discovered so far, changing driving modes from Sport to Normal makes the noise go away. That's not all, putting it back in Sport mode does not bring the noise back, until the car slows down and accelerates back up to 50mph. The noise is only present between 47-53mph, regardless whether accelerating or decelerating or keeping constant speed, but evidently only if the car got there in Sport mode (maybe Sport Plus too, I haven't tried it yet).

This essentially eliminates any possibility of it being a hood or trunk adjustment issue. Anyone have any clue what causes it?

PS> I also eliminated sport sound (or lack thereof) being the source of this too, while loud and drowning it out, I can still hear it with or without sport noise enabled (I never have it on for my driving, so I though perhaps the speaker or amp was left without an active input and was picking up some electrical noise instead).

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Only thing I can think of that is different in that speed range according to different drive modes is the gearbox? 1st gear vs 2nd gear.

Maybe when you switch modes at that speed, the car won't downshift but if you switch to sport mode at lower speeds, it will be using 1st gear at that speed interval?

Good luck

ripcordaff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have this issue too. It only occurs in sport and sport plus because normal starts in second gear. So I think it’s related to something about the top of first gearing being noisy. Did you ever get the dealership to acknowledge the issue?
Sponsored