First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
Im glad it’s not just me then!

I charged at a Tesla dealer in Birmingham on Wednesday (after 2 others local didn’t work) and even that wasn’t great. It peaked at just over 52kw which was frustrating seen as I’d opted for the upgraded on board charger for just that scenario!

agree on charging prices too. It works out only just cheaper than putting fuel in an ICE and the 5p per mile you get for business travel doesn’t even cover charging at home never mind paying 70p per kWh at service stations!
I know that Tesla have opened a few sites up to other brands, is the Brum dealer one of them or is it the case that anyone can charge at a dealership? I’ve managed to get by with Ionity and Porsche dealers so far, getting the discount, good advice on here re signing up to shell, POD etc.

I get just over 200 in my 4S, 90% of my charging at home and I’m quids in v petrol prices to the tune of almost £200 pm. Love the car but hate the PCM and the useless app.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am having my first long trip away from home and have been relaxed and expecting the worst about charging away from home.
Anglesey only has 50kW chargers, the nearest, 6 miles away, requires a payment system I couldn’t register with and the one that worked well for me is 20 miles away.
Because it is so cold the 13A charger is using 2.6 kW to achieve 2.1 kW charge rate which is a big percentage of waste and basically isn’t enough for the daily usage.
My next long journey is on a Saturday so am not sure whether the chargers I used coming here will be more or less busy on a Saturday.
It looks like I may be changing my long journey strategy to get to a Porsche dealer before its barriers come down. I usually travel over night.

Back at home no problem, so it is just 3 or 4 return journeys per year being a headache!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
It looks like I may be changing my long journey strategy to get to a Porsche dealer before its barriers come down.
The fact that the chargers at centres get locked up at night – is such a miss by Porsche considering the expense of the infrastructure. They really needed to try harder here back in 2016 when this was all being planned.

OP
OP

TrisHarris

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M4
Country flag
I know that Tesla have opened a few sites up to other brands, is the Brum dealer one of them or is it the case that anyone can charge at a dealership? I’ve managed to get by with Ionity and Porsche dealers so far, getting the discount, good advice on here re signing up to shell, POD etc.

I get just over 200 in my 4S, 90% of my charging at home and I’m quids in v petrol prices to the tune of almost £200 pm. Love the car but hate the PCM and the useless app.
I think it’s just specific ones rather than all of them at the moment

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Back at home no problem, so it is just 3 or 4 return journeys per year being a headache!
FWIW> Its this situation which had me speccing the 22kW charger – as there are 1000s of public 22kW all over the island of Ireland. I haven't had to use it too frequently, but when I do – its been great.

I still think – cheap to implement – public 22 kW AC infrastructure has its merits in towns of 250 people population, etc.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
FWIW> Its this situation which had me speccing the 22kW charger – as there are 1000s of public 22kW all over the island of Ireland. I haven't had to use it too frequently, but when I do – its been great.

I still think – cheap to implement – public 22 kW AC infrastructure has its merits in towns of 250 people population, etc.
I take the point but here there are some 11kW chargers about 2 miles away but my experience has been somebody sort of took it over as “their” charger and just park there plugged in all day while at work - I gave up with my plug in hybrid since the same car was always there.
I also rarely stop anywhere long enough for the low power chargers to add much, a 50kW charger at a supermarket was OK getting a reasonable amount whilst shopping there and another place a 5 minute walk away.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
but I am only seeing 210 miles range at the moment
Just for comparison sake, with my long range Tesla model Y, in the winter I’m getting 127 miles from 85% down to around 20% when I recharge. I end up charging about twice a week in the winter.
One issue with the Tesla is phantom drain: the car loses around 3% per day sitting idle. So if you remove phantom drain, my Y gets around 225 miles on a 100% charge in the winter. In the summer, my Y gets closer to 285 miles on a full charge.
In the summer with my RWD Taycan, the best I’ve done is around 290 miles on a full charge. I normally get around 270 miles. These are actual miles driven, extrapolated to get to 100%. I don’t use the “guess-o-meter” to calculate range.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: B61
OP
OP

TrisHarris

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M4
Country flag
Just for comparison sake, with my long range Tesla model Y, in the winter I’m getting 127 miles from 85% down to around 20% when I recharge. I end up charging about twice a week in the winter.
One issue with the Tesla is phantom drain: the car loses around 3% per day sitting idle. So if you remove phantom drain, my Y gets around 225 miles on a 100% charge in the winter. In the summer, my Y gets closer to 285 miles on a full charge.
Good comparison thanks

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Yes that could be true. The regen bar does appear to be at max now (I’ve done just under 2,000 miles).

I was using the sat nav today and it was good at suggesting routes and chargers but clearly that doesn’t matter when the car decides it doesn’t want to accept any charge at all!
Switch off "Plug and Charge" option in the charging menu and all of your charging problems will be gone. Personal experience, proven.

OP
OP

TrisHarris

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M4
Country flag
Switch off "Plug and Charge" option in the charging menu and all of your charging problems will be gone. Personal experience, proven.
The tech from Porsche couldn’t solve it this morning so it’s been recovered again unfortunately.
Porsche Taycan Falling out with my Taycan already… 9805EA5F-2FD0-45A8-B5D5-32E1FA2579DF

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
Do hope you get it sorted mate, these little things build up to become so frustrating! Especially such a lovely Gentian blue beast. I generally charge at home with the 7 ish kw charger and when I have driven down to Devon (225 miles) have been able to plug in and charge without issue at 3/4 stations (having done the trip a few times and stopped at various). The car does not need to charge over that distance - have done it non-stop twice, but I'd rather finish with more than 20 miles "in the tank".

My only advice is that the motorway service station options tend to be pretty decent, so even if taking a route that avoids motorways, it may be worth a detour v a local BP station where the charger is rarely used and so not necessarily maintained.

The love will come - just plan your charging as others have said - more "splash and dash" versus letting it run down to anything less than 50 miles. It truly is the best car I've owned - you will hopefully find the same in due course.

Vfr750Rouge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4 / Cayenne / Jeep Wrangler Willys
Country flag
My own little experience...after a year of owning the Taycan, I loved it, do not regret the buy and will by it again or next generation BUT....

I am fortunate to have and live in:
  1. Worm climate (love the Atlantic cost of south Florida) 270 to 290 miles range at 100% covering 99.9% of my needs
  2. Decent public charging station (EA is at deposition and does work so far all the time and "free")
  3. 22kw charging at home never have the car plugged more than 3 hours...
  4. Taycan is second if not third car for me even if this is the one I only use! make my day everyday I drive it
  5. have SUV for road trip with Zero range anxiety... anyways more than 3 hours driving, I am flying or use brigthline to go to Miami and soon Orlando
  6. have Jeep for the dog...and the beach
My own conclusion is ANY EVS in current general infrastructure are a challenge to be single family cars unless strictly urban living or postcard bubble like Switzerland or where I am leaving.

If I could not afford the surrounding of the EVs, it would remain a dream until tech and infrastructure match real need to make EVs an option for every one, every days and all circumstances with no hassle.

As I said, no surprise for me with Taycan, would do it again as long as it does not impact my life style and accessorily I can afford the needed surrounding.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
Hmmm - "phantom drain" has been a Model S thing in the past, but not really a Model 3/Y thing, as far as I've seen. Do you have Sentry Mode activated? That's definitely a range-killer, but just sitting idle I wouldn't expect the car to lose anything close to 3%. I've left my Model 3 at an airport for 7 days in cold weather and lost 2% in total, nothing close to 3% a day...

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Hmmm - "phantom drain" has been a Model S thing in the past, but not really a Model 3/Y thing, as far as I've seen.
People complain about Y/3 phantom drain all the time on the Tesla forums. A couple of them:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/battery-loss-when-parked.287948/

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...rking-structure-ive-got-12-days-to-go.285534/

Hello,

I am out of the country right now, over 6,000 miles away. I left my car parked in a 3rd floor of a long term airport parking structure. I charged it to 90% before I left my house, arrived and parked at 79% on the late night of 11/10. I made sure to turn off sentry mode, turned off preconditioning, turned off cabin overheat protection, disabled any tessie routines I had and left the car to head out of the country. I've been checking it because I noticed significant phantom drain even though it shouldn't be running anything. It's losing 4-5% per day so far.

It's now just a couple hours past 3 days and my car is now at 63% battery. I've lost 16% in about 80 hours parked in a parking structure!!! What the hell is wrong? The car should be going to sleep, right?

MYP Blue/White | no tow | no FSD | OD 9/26 | Delivered 12/3
Sponsored

• Wow