Falling out with my Taycan already…

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
People complain about Y/3 phantom drain all the time on the Tesla forums. A couple of them:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...rking-structure-ive-got-12-days-to-go.285534/

MYP Blue/White | no tow | no FSD | OD 9/26 | Delivered 12/3
People who don't understand how their car works complain, then more experienced owners explain it to them.

The "issue" isn't a car issue - it's a "People who don't understand how their car works" issue.

The answer to your question is right there in one of your quoted threads:

By checking your app frequently, you are taking your car out of deep sleep and thus are not conserving the battery while parked.

Stop opening the app to check on the car, and you'll see the drain drop to near-zero.
Sponsored

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
So I took delivery of my Taycan 5 weeks ago and I’m already getting extremely frustrated with it and our charging infrastructure here in the UK.

The car is fantastic to drive and feels like a quality bit of engineering but the range is proving to be an issue. I went for the larger battery but I am only seeing 210 miles range at the moment which is well below the claimed range even minus the 20% allowance for the cold weather at the moment. I’ve also had a few error messages thrown up although they have generally cleared if I leave it for 30mins and come back to it - not that this should be required or acceptable for a car of this value.

The next issue is around our charging infrastructure here in the UK. I have a charge point at home (Hypervolt) which works brilliantly and delivers what it says but out in the wild charging has been an issue. Some of the issues so far with this:

1) chargers which are situated at the side of a parking bay - can be on the wrong side of the car to connect to the CCS port - why didn’t Porsche put this on both sides?!

2) broken chargers - getting somewhere and the charger is out of service meaning you have to waste time trying to find another nearby. Anxiety inducing when you’re somewhere you don’t know well and the range is low.

3) other EV drivers who leave their cars plugged in for hours with no consideration for others. It seems to be those silly Tesla MPV looking things normally.

Writing this as I’m extremely frustrated waiting to be recovered by the AA as my car has refused to charge at 4 different chargers at 3 different services and I’ve completely run out of charge…

Sorry for the moan / vent. Anyone else had issues like this or have I had an unlucky 5 weeks?
it sounds like u don’t have charging at home. People who can’t charge at home should not buy EVs, period. my mini se has only 120 miles range probably. but i can charge at home with 120V. super slow but. i have no anxiety. if i sm you, would have swapped for a 911

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
People complain about Y/3 phantom drain all the time on the Tesla forums. A couple of them:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/battery-loss-when-parked.287948/

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...rking-structure-ive-got-12-days-to-go.285534/

Hello,

I am out of the country right now, over 6,000 miles away. I left my car parked in a 3rd floor of a long term airport parking structure. I charged it to 90% before I left my house, arrived and parked at 79% on the late night of 11/10. I made sure to turn off sentry mode, turned off preconditioning, turned off cabin overheat protection, disabled any tessie routines I had and left the car to head out of the country. I've been checking it because I noticed significant phantom drain even though it shouldn't be running anything. It's losing 4-5% per day so far.

It's now just a couple hours past 3 days and my car is now at 63% battery. I've lost 16% in about 80 hours parked in a parking structure!!! What the hell is wrong? The car should be going to sleep, right?

MYP Blue/White | no tow | no FSD | OD 9/26 | Delivered 12/3
As noted above. You're killing your battery (capacity) by being oversensitive and checking it all the time. Just leave it alone for all the subsystems of the car to go into deep sleep / hibernation and do NOT check it until you get back. It will be fine.

I've left a Tesla unplugged on the street for well over a month and had less than 15% drop in capacity.

Just don't check it. OK!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have a Tesla model 3 at home and just now checked for the first time in over 5 and a half weeks. I have lost about 5 % during that time. Nothing to worry about and I do not check on the car at all. No Sentry mode switched on nor is it connected to power. Also just checked on our Taycan and that has lost about 1% so clearly much less, but still nothing to worry about.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Sorry, but that's not how the Tesla app works. Just having it running on my iPhone causes phantom drain. I rarely check the Tesla app. And I have sentry mode turned off (due to extreme phantom drain).

I keep the Tesla app running on my iPhone so I can open the car doors. If the app is closed, the car doors will not open until I open the Tesla app. So I leave the Tesla app running all the time and live with the 3% per day phantom drain loss. This is better then closing the Tesla app and then getting to my car in the rain and not have the doors open. 'Phone as key' is great as long as the Tesla app is running.

When I go to an airport for an extended trip, I close the Tesla app and the phantom drain drops to maybe 1% per week. But when I return after a trip, I need to open the Tesla app so I can open the car doors.

ineedanoriginal

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I've had my MY21 CT4S for about 9 weeks (it's second hand) and love it. I make at least one 250mile journey a week in it and have learned to be flexible in my plans. As others have said, the key is to plan ahead and be prepared for changes in your plan. I'm able to charge at home but I don't always manage to get 100% SoC before such a journey and therefore have to make do with public charging infrastructure. I have never been able to make the full journey in one go even if I start at 100% SoC. My general view is that:

1. it isn't too bad (South and South East) but the stated rate of charging doesn't always equal what you get. As others have mentioned, it is worth finding out what is most likely to work best for you and to sign up to their subscription as it will save you money in the long run.
2. If you have the Porsche charging card and can access Ionity, do it. At 30p per KW it is now almost cheaper than charging at home, plus way quicker.
3. I see lots of other people having problems at charing points and usually an offer to help makes the difference. I don't think anyone is trying to stop anyone else from charging on purpose and once they realise they are, they usually move pretty quickly. I did mention to my wife the other day that it was frustrating that other smaller cars that can't make use of the Ionity charging rates were using all the charging points and making me wait. She (rightly) told me to stop thinking I was entitled because I drive a posh car :)
4. Whilst the Porsche app is pretty useless, I do use the route planner to check charging requirements for any given journey. I may then use Zap App to check what else might be available.
5. Last point. Check out https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/taycan-4s-sport-turismo/. There is a range calculator that is actually pretty accurate IMHO.

Porsche Taycan Falling out with my Taycan already… 1671221085451

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The tech from Porsche couldn’t solve it this morning so it’s been recovered again unfortunately.
9805EA5F-2FD0-45A8-B5D5-32E1FA2579DF.jpeg
Sorry to see you are having so much charging issues. I have travelled 28 000 miles throughout Europe and Uk now and have had very few charging issues. I have mostly used Ionity, Fastned, BP, She’ll, Aral and Circle K with their HPC. It requires a lot more planning then just getting in the car and drive like an ICE, but once you use a good charge planner like ABRP as well as something like ChrgeFinder or ZapMap in Uk, you should be fine. If you also can set filters for charge power as well as number of chargers even better. I never take account of charging stops unless there are at least 4 chargers listed. And so far only trouble I have had is with Allego. They just did not work with the Porsche card or app and their helpline was totally useless.

I have to admit that most of my drives have been in The southwest of the U.K. up to Peterborough and west towards Birmingham. And that has been quite good. Not comparable to Netherlands and Germany but still without any problems. I guess it all depends so much on where in the UK you reside. But any lack of chargers around you should have been known and taken into account before you ordered the EV?
Problems with you 800 volt charging system though is not good to hear about.

Hope your car gets sorted out quickly and do research about possible charging stops when planning a trip. It will be worthwhile!

Good Luck

Reactions: B61

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As noted above. You're killing your battery (capacity) by being oversensitive and checking it all the time.
Wrong. The only way to eliminate phantom drain is to close the Tesla app on the iPhone. Looking at the Tesla app is not required for the car to experience phantom drain. Simply having the Tesla app running on the iPhone will cause a minimum of 3% phantom drain.

The only time I use the Tesla app is when I pre-heat the car in the morning. Other times it runs in background so I can open the car doors with my iPhone.

• Wow
Reactions: B61

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I go to an airport for an extended trip, I close the Tesla app and the phantom drain drops to maybe 1% per week. But when I return after a trip, I need to open the Tesla app so I can open the car doors.
Sounds very much work. Why not just use the Tesla card instead and delete the app. Problems with phantom drain solved.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Other than that, I do think your range should improve with time but of course many things will always impact that
Range will improve with time, but with years, battery degradation will occur.
My experiences: i got my ct4 in mid September 2021, with 21” wheels. After two months and 4000km, aversge consumption was around 24kwh/100km. Then, i changed to 20” winter times till March 2022, consumption went down to 22.
spring time, 21” wheels…..till uPdate in August: overall consumption: 19.0kwh/100km.

Now, i;m on winter tyres again….doing something about 22kwh/100km (from charge to charge), while overall consumption after 25k km is still 19.0.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wrong. The only way to eliminate phantom drain is to close the Tesla app on the iPhone. Looking at the Tesla app is not required for the car to experience phantom drain. Simply having the Tesla app running on the iPhone will cause a minimum of 3% phantom drain.

The only time I use the Tesla app is when I pre-heat the car in the morning. Other times it runs in background so I can open the car doors with my iPhone.
We're arguing silly semantics.

The point is by having it active on your phone (whether that's background or foreground), you are forcing a connection to the car - therefore as stated not allowing the cars various systems to effectively hibernate.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The point is by having it active on your phone (whether that's background or foreground), you are forcing a connection to the car - therefore as stated not allowing the cars various systems to effectively hibernate.
Different story. You said before " You're killing your battery (capacity) by being oversensitive and checking it all the time. "

I am not checking the app "all the time". You can't open the car with your iPhone unless you have the Tesla app running so I leave it running all the time. This is known "fact of life" for Tesla owners.

No one I know closes the Tesla app unless they are parking for an extended time. Like at an airport. They just live with the phantom drain of around 3% per day.

The point here is that you need to factor in the daily phantom loss to get an accurate range from a full 100% charge. if you don't factor in phantom loss, you won't get an accurate range.

Last edited:

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds very much work. Why not just use the Tesla card instead and delete the app. Problems with phantom drain solved.
Good idea, but having to pull the card out of my wallet when I want to open the car is a hassle. If you want to use the Tesla 'phone as key', you need to leave the Tesla app running.

I only pull the card out of my wallet when the car fails to open with my iPhone. This happens maybe once a month.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Different story. You said before " You're killing your battery (capacity) by being oversensitive and checking it all the time. "

I am not checking the app "all the time". You can't open the car with your iPhone unless you have the Tesla app running so I leave it running all the time. This is known "fact of life" for Tesla owners.

No one I know closes the Tesla app unless they are parking for an extended time. Like at an airport. They just live with the phantom drain of around 3% per day.

The point here is that you need to factor in the daily phantom loss to get an accurate range from a full 100% charge. if you don't factor in phantom loss, you won't get an accurate range.
I got an X so don’t use the app to open the car. Key-fob in my pocket old style to do that. 3 and Y are of course different in that respect. I’m quoting from my personal experience of driving this particular car for the last five years and what does and doesn’t cause additional drain when it’s parked up for an extended period. Happy Saturday.
Sponsored