Fastest you have ever charged? I had a pretty impressive charging session this week

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
While this board sometimes tends to get caught up in the negative, I wanted to share a very positive Electrify America charging experience I had yesterday in Trinidad, Colorado. This site has been notoriously slow in the past, but yesterday the location made up for it!

I pulled in with 8% battery, and the unit was working as it was supposed to and provided 259kWh speeds until I hit 50% battery charge.

Porsche Taycan Fastest you have ever charged?   I had a pretty impressive charging session this week IMG_0654

As we all know, speeds throttle down as your battery gains charge, but I did some amazing speeds up to 80% battery. I went from 8% battery to 80% in 19 minutes - the vehicle loaded 62kwh to the battery. I think this is the fastest I have seen my Taycan charge.

Porsche Taycan Fastest you have ever charged?   I had a pretty impressive charging session this week IMG_0656

Porsche Taycan Fastest you have ever charged?   I had a pretty impressive charging session this week IMG_0662

The pictures above shows the charging speeds slowing down once the vehicle exceeds 80% battery. As you an see, the charger throttled down nearly 50kw after the car exceeded 80% of the battery.

Obviously, this does not happen all of the time, but I wanted to share a super fast session I was able to enjoy this weekend while using an Electrify America charger. I am curious to see if anyone has had a charging session as fast as this one I enjoyed yesterday.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
congrats - Taycan is the fastest charging EV available on the market with excellent peak speed and a very very nice taper (in that it doesn’t really slow down that much even after 80% SOC)

this is a great session - and bodes well for the future if the EA network becomes more reliable - although I know you had zero issues on your trip - that makes me happy!!

thank you thank you thank you for the real world data.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can you say what your battery temperature was when the charging session started?

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you say what your battery temperature was when the charging session started?

James:

This was the error I made when I charged at this location and was floored by the charging speeds - I did not get the car battery temp right at the moment. I had checked at various points throughout my drive yesterday and the battery was around 85F to 88F when I checked. Outside temps were in the low 50's yesterday in Trinidad since it sits at 7,000 feet or so. I had been driving for 6 hours by the time I hit this site, so the battery was as warm as it was going to get.

If it had been 100F or 110F I am sure I would have not hit those speeds,

Paul

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah, the battery is sensitivity to environmental conditions. I believe to get the most accurate picture, temperature always has to be accounted for. As far as I know, and I don't have the actual data to support it, the battery will be happiest and live a long life around 70F and charge fastest at around 85F.

Also the battery temperature can be quite different (higher) than the outside temps.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, the battery is sensitivity to environmental conditions. I believe to get the most accurate picture, temperature always has to be accounted for. As far as I know, and I don't have the actual data to support it, the battery will be happiest and live a long life around 70F and charge fastest at around 85F.

Also the battery temperature can be quite different (higher) than the outside temps.

James:

I drove from Indio, California to Buckeye, Arizona at the end of October last year and it was about 100F outside, but when I stopped to charge my initial charging speed was about 250kWh. I have seen slower speeds at 110F in Utah and 115F in Nevada, so that sweet spot may be around 70F to 100F.

Paul

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
thank you thank you thank you for the real world data.
Agree! Thank you.

I have had similar sessions (although I haven't had the guts/need to go down to 8%), but even at around 16% I had a great rate, and more importantly as Daveo4EV pointed out, a really good taper.

A 20 minute charge works out well for me since besides being older (ahem), most of my travel is more tourism and so much more relaxed than hurrying to get somewhere.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
While this board sometimes tends to get caught up in the negative, I wanted to share a very positive Electrify America charging experience I had yesterday in Trinidad, Colorado. This site has been notoriously slow in the past, but yesterday the location made up for it!

I pulled in with 8% battery, and the unit was working as it was supposed to and provided 259kWh speeds until I hit 50% battery charge.

IMG_0654.jpg

As we all know, speeds throttle down as your battery gains charge, but I did some amazing speeds up to 80% battery. I went from 8% battery to 80% in 19 minutes - the vehicle loaded 62kwh to the battery. I think this is the fastest I have seen my Taycan charge.

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

The pictures above shows the charging speeds slowing down once the vehicle exceeds 80% battery. As you an see, the charger throttled down nearly 50kw after the car exceeded 80% of the battery.

Obviously, this does not happen all of the time, but I wanted to share a super fast session I was able to enjoy this weekend while using an Electrify America charger. I am curious to see if anyone has had a charging session as fast as this one I enjoyed yesterday.
That 259kW speed is awesome! I have not seen those speeds yet, 154kW max so far, but looking forward to that charge rate on the open road hopefully. Went from 25-90% in 30 minutes today and was really pleased with that speed. Headed to Palm Springs from Vegas soon and hope to have great EA experiences along the route. Thanks for the info.!

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
James:

I drove from Indio, California to Buckeye, Arizona at the end of October last year and it was about 100F outside, but when I stopped to charge my initial charging speed was about 250kWh. I have seen slower speeds at 110F in Utah and 115F in Nevada, so that sweet spot may be around 70F to 100F.

Paul
Sorry, not trying to be an ass, but it’s driving me nuts. 250kW not kWh :)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
well it could be 250 kWh if you plug in for an hour at that rate :CWL: :giggle: now I am being an ass.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I stand corrected!!!!!

There was an article on the Electrek site the other day suggesting that the Hyundai IONIQ 5 was the new "king of charging." My charging session in Trinidad, CO blew it that video away. Sure, that car got to 80% battery in 16 minutes, but I charged 62kwh in 20 minutes - which crushes the 42kwh that vehicle charged in the same amount of time.

I am going to own my charging record!!!!!!!!!! At least until someone can prove otherwise!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I stand corrected!!!!!

There was an article on the Electrek site the other day suggesting that the Hyundai IONIQ 5 was the new "king of charging." My charging session in Trinidad, CO blew it that video away. Sure, that car got to 80% battery in 16 minutes, but I charged 62kwh in 20 minutes - which crushes the 42kwh that vehicle charged in the same amount of time.

I am going to own my charging record!!!!!!!!!! At least until someone can prove otherwise!
From reading the article, 20-80 41KW that is a smaller battery. So the rate may be the same or less than a Taycan as an absolute.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
The real measure is what the charge curve looks like after you’ve charged 5000kWh at those rates. My plan is to leave the battery friendly option checked, especially at sites that charge per kWh and not by time. 200kW sustained is likely faster than I can use the restroom, buy some food, and go for a short walk.

Last edited:

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
You have me beat. I have not arrived at an EA station with only 8% SOC

EA recently installed all new 350kW and 150kW ABB chargers at the location near me in Tampa, FL

Last week I arrived with 17% SOC and within one minute was charging at 246kW. I came back after 30 minutes and was really surprised to see charging at 94kW even at 88% SOC. (Battery 78-98 deg. F)

Porsche Taycan Fastest you have ever charged?   I had a pretty impressive charging session this week start charge

Porsche Taycan Fastest you have ever charged?   I had a pretty impressive charging session this week end charge

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The real measure is what the charge curve looks like after you’ve charged 5000kWh at those rates. My plan is to leave the battery friendly option checked, especially at sites that charge per kWh and not by time. 200kW sustained is likely faster than I can pee, buy some food, and go for a short walk.

Andrew:

That is a good point - battery degradation. There is no real history out there on battery degradation on vehicles that have charged this fast. It will be interesting to see what the charging rates and limits look like in year two or year three of the vehicle life.

Going into a Walmart gets pretty old while on a road trip, so the faster charging the better for me most times. I especially like to avoid going into Walmarts in more rural/remote areas for obvious reasons - lots of non-mask wearers.
Sponsored