Feedback From Current Owners Please

badboy1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Taycan
Country flag
Hi All,

I have a Tesla Model S P100D and recently also put a deposit on a Porsche Taycan 4S (with performance battery). Both cars are great and have their own pros/cons. There is no doubt that the Porsche is awesome build quality. I was just wondering if some current owners of the same model (4S with performance battery) could give some thoughts of their experience, e.g. range, issues with the car etc.

This is my first post, so I wish to thank all in advance.
Sponsored

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I was just wondering if some current owners of the same model (4S with performance battery) could give some thoughts of their experience, e.g. range, issues with the car etc.
When I first got the car (early June 2021) it showed 200 miles of range at 100%. Now, 1700 miles and 5 weeks later, it regularly shows 300+ miles of range at 100%, or…it would…I typically only charge it to 85% and then it sits at around 260 miles or so.

The only issue I’ve had is an AWD fault after a Launch Control once (yesterday). It put the car in turtle mode and would only go 20mph. It recovered after I turned the car off and let it sit for a few minutes.

I’ve never owned a Tesla, so I can’t compare. I’ve owned several Porsches and I’m a fan of the brand.

Small issues I’ve had include:
  • Poor cameras, especially the reversing camera
  • Inconsistent door locking from pressing handle
  • Inconsistent gesture access to open trunk or unlock frunk (frunk appears to be worse)
  • Excessive use of energy due to being fun to drive

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
When I first got the car (early June 2021) it showed 200 miles of range at 100%. Now, 1700 miles and 5 weeks later, it regularly shows 300+ miles of range at 100%, or…it would…I typically only charge it to 85% and then it sits at around 260 miles or so.

The only issue I’ve had is an AWD fault after a Launch Control once (yesterday). It put the car in turtle mode and would only go 20mph. It recovered after I turned the car off and let it sit for a few minutes.

I’ve never owned a Tesla, so I can’t compare. I’ve owned several Porsches and I’m a fan of the brand.

• Inconsistent gesture access to open trunk or unlock frunk (frunk appears to be worse)
The last bullet is what resonates most for me. I did 6 launch controls and hard braking on my drive yesterday. Range was fine though.

OP
OP
badboy1980

badboy1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Taycan
Country flag

Thanks. That’s really useful to know.

OP
OP
badboy1980

badboy1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Taycan
Country flag
Does Porsche provide you with a free Apple Music account which is limited to the car or do you need an Apple Music account beforehand?
I currently use Spotify and that works great with my Tesla but Tesla also provide an account which is for the car only should you nor already have an account.

OP
OP
badboy1980

badboy1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Taycan
Country flag
Also is the Eco Mode for the AC any good? What’s the difference between that and running AC?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Does Porsche provide you with a free Apple Music account which is limited to the car or do you need an Apple Music account beforehand?
I currently use Spotify and that works great with my Tesla but Tesla also provide an account which is for the car only should you nor already have an account.
I just set this up in the car, just because of this post. I hadn’t set it up previously because I don’t use Apple Music.

Best I can tell it’s 6-months free and you have to link it to an account, either an existing account (which I had because I use iPhones) or you can make a new one.

I just googled it and it looks like it might be 3-years free, so maybe the 6-month free renewal has to be done every 6-months. I think that’s how the 3-year free EA charging is (three 1-year subscriptions you have to renew each year). edit: I just read it again, and it is only 6-months free of Apple Music.

I only listen to two specific genres of music plus NPR, so I probably won’t keep the apple music. My wife used Pandora a lot though; so, I’ll see if she wants to keep it.

Edit: I just tried the “Modern Punk” station and the first song was Fall Out Boy. And now I’m done with Apple Music.

Last edited:

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't know about the UK, but in the States you get a free 6 month trial of Apple Music. You can use Spotify through Carplay if you choose, but Apple Music is “built in” and independent of Carplay, which I think is handy.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hi All,

I have a Tesla Model S P100D and recently also put a deposit on a Porsche Taycan 4S (with performance battery). Both cars are great and have their own pros/cons. There is no doubt that the Porsche is awesome build quality. I was just wondering if some current owners of the same model (4S with performance battery) could give some thoughts of their experience, e.g. range, issues with the car etc.
We own a Tesla Model 3 and a Taycan RWD.
This is my honest assessment.

Things Porsche Does Better
  1. Driving feel/pleasure
  2. Appearance
  3. Fit/Finish
  4. Interior Quality
  5. Fast DC charging speed
Things Tesla Does Better
  1. Performance
  2. AC charging
  3. Fast DC charging network
  4. Charge port (easier to use)
  5. Range
  6. Software (on car and mobile app)
  7. Navigation
  8. Autopilot
  9. Software updates (at home on wifi, vs dealership)
I went for the Taycan because I'm a long time Porsche fan. I hate the interior of Teslas and the Model S felt dead to drive. I have not driven the new refresh so those issues may have improved.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Also is the Eco Mode for the AC any good? What’s the difference between that and running AC?
I don't know the technical specifics as to how ECO and regular AC mode are implemented but, to me, the air coming from the vents feels colder in AC mode.

That said, I use ECO mode almost exclusively and it does a good job of keeping the cabin comfortable even when ambient temps are in the 80's. It also helps to use the focused air distribution mode rather than diffuse mode so that the cool air is directed at me.

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am not sure Tesla does Performance better, after I’ve found this:

Porsche Taycan Feedback From Current Owners Please 179DB487-808F-48A0-A0E8-356BD40A5C97

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am not sure Tesla does Performance better, after I’ve found this:

179DB487-808F-48A0-A0E8-356BD40A5C97.jpeg
That's pre-refresh Model S - from the looks of it even pre-Raven and pre-cheetah stance etc. We'll have to wait to see the comparable numbers, but early videos of Plaid performance on quarter mile runs (some of them repeated) seem to indicate that it will beat the Taycan quite handily if "performance" is defined to be 0-100kmh/ and 0-180 km/h. 0-120 mph it seems to have ~2 seconds on the Taycan Turbo S. 0-60 in ~2s or 2.4 without any prep is on par or better than the Turbo S as well.

M3P also does repeatable performance quite well (again, if all we're looking at is acceleration). It easily keeps up with the Taycan 4s, and probably even a Turbo.
Given that at that point we're pitting a 60K USD car vs. 120-150K USD, I'd say Tesla does that at least as well as Porsche is fair.

The Model 3 RWD Tesla sold in 2017 does 0-60 in 4.9 (actual), easily on par with the Taycan RWD Porsche launched in 2020/2021.

Again - not saying you should look only at acceleration, just responding to the tables.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
There is a lot of discussion about the Tesla supercharger network.

Being in the southern California, going back and forth to the Bay area a lot, its rare to not see lines to charge a Tesla, especially during the holidays.
I'm in predominantly Asian areas that have the highest concentration of Teslas. These local chargers are always packed, with lines as well.

Maybe this isn't a problem in other parts of the country

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
That's pre-refresh Model S - from the looks of it even pre-Raven and pre-cheetah stance etc. We'll have to wait to see the comparable numbers, but early videos of Plaid performance on quarter mile runs (some of them repeated) seem to indicate that it will beat the Taycan quite handily if "performance" is defined to be 0-100kmh/ and 0-180 km/h. 0-120 mph it seems to have ~2 seconds on the Taycan Turbo S. 0-60 in ~2s or 2.4 without any prep is on par or better than the Turbo S as well.

M3P also does repeatable performance quite well (again, if all we're looking at is acceleration). It easily keeps up with the Taycan 4s, and probably even a Turbo.
Given that at that point we're pitting a 60K USD car vs. 120-150K USD, I'd say Tesla does that at least as well as Porsche is fair.

The Model 3 RWD Tesla sold in 2017 does 0-60 in 4.9 (actual), easily on par with the Taycan RWD Porsche launched in 2020/2021.

Again - not saying you should look only at acceleration, just responding to the tables.
I posted those screenshots originally.
It was a raven cheetah stance model from 2021. the plaid has nothing to do with the question asked here. Any current P100D can’t launch more than 3 times in a row without overheating. How the plaid does - we will see.

DerekS compared the M3P with the Base Taycan. The Tesla in that case is much quicker. So his list of pro and cons is only applicable to those two models.

Model S to Taycan 4S is almost the same range. The P100D maybe gives you 20-30 miles more, but then when both stop to charge, the Taycan will be long gone with a full charge while the MS is still charging.
Sponsored