Feels like engine is slipping in “normal” mode...

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Hi all,

I am worried, as I seem to have noticed that the electric engine is “slipping” in normal mode. It happens when driving slow (10-15 km/h) and then accelerate hard.

The feeling is, that is uses full power, but accelleration is “slowish” until 60-70 km/h, and then it kicks in, and goes like normal (the kick is very noticeabl).. the first couple of times it felt like the wheels were spinning, and then got grip.

i am wondering if it is the gear changing, but think it is to soon??

in sport and sport plus this feeling is not present, and the car accelerates like it supposed to. Launch control also feels good :)

one think I did notice in sport plus, is a quite noticeable mechanical sound when changing mode, and when gear is changin? maybe it’s normal, as the car is setup for race, but I sounds harsh when compared to normal mode..

have anyone noticed anything similar - maybe it’s normal - I hope so, so please calm down me if you can :)

its a 4S with performance battery +, model year 2021.
Sponsored

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
This is normal, in normal mode.
It’s similar to the Panamera, where it’s a bit more relaxed for normal everyday driving.
So sometimes it needs to change down a gear or you may be feeling the slower throttle map

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
I can concur that this is completely normal, in normal mode. It is one reason why I now mostly use Sport mode in city driving. I like to drive fast and normal mode just doesn't feel good. I use normal when driving long distance (or range sometimes, if range is an actual issue).

Although even in long distance driving I switch to Sport often when overtaking. Normal is just so lazy in comparison. Big difference.

OP
OP
MrJohnDolk

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Great to know - now I’m calm again :) great forum this :cool:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I only wish Porsche would allow the car to remember previous settings. What is the rationale for defaulting to "Normal" every single time? Why not keep previous setting as default?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I only wish Porsche would allow the car to remember previous settings. What is the rationale for defaulting to "Normal" every single time? Why not keep previous setting as default?
Most likely safety - get in and drive and it behaves like every other Taycan. If you know enough to change it - change it. Makes sense for a lawyer, and for novice drivers.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Most likely safety - get in and drive and it behaves like every other Taycan. If you know enough to change it - change it. Makes sense for a lawyer, and for novice drivers.
It’s for EPA range. Must be tested at default settings. Doesn’t count if it saves the previous setting. Same reason why auto start/stop defaults to on in ICE cars now (proof that it’s not a technical limitation is that older Porsches did save that setting).

It does make me wonder if anyone has compared normal vs sport range in similar conditions?

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
It’s for EPA range. Must be tested at default settings. Doesn’t count if it saves the previous setting.
The other car that shall remain unnamed ;) seems to have no lawyery / EPA issues - stays in standard or chill until I decide to switch (I use chill for winter driving).

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
The other car that shall remain unnamed ;) seems to have no lawyery / EPA issues - stays in standard or chill until I decide to switch (I use chill for winter driving).
But chill mode would improve mileage, so doesn't seem like that would be a problem for EPA rating. Are you able to default to track mode?

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
But chill mode would improve mileage, so doesn't seem like that would be a problem for EPA rating. Are you able to default to track mode?
Did not try yet - I am barely using full throttle in standard. Will try and report back.
Sponsored