Ferrari sports sound

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
the manufacturers need to find a mechanical sound that can substitute ICE noises. This whole "play a mp3" through speakers is ridiculous.

Maybe they should spend a bit of RD on reciprocating electric motor like this V8 version. If they can improve the efficiency then they have something that naturally sounds mechanical, and from which they can work. Combined with a straight cut gearbox it cannot be worse than some mp3 files through some speakers

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Yep, but what Ferrari are saying is they are patenting amplifying the actual electric motor sound and playing through external speakers. That's exactly what taycan sports sound does.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Exactly, it’s not an mp3, it’s amplified and synthesized, a realtime algorithm like a software instrument, controlled by power and rotation speed.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Exactly, it’s not an mp3, it’s amplified and synthesized, a realtime algorithm like a software instrument, controlled by power and rotation speed.
I wonder does it use MIDI?

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Yep, but what Ferrari are saying is they are patenting amplifying the actual electric motor sound and playing through external speakers. That's exactly what taycan sports sound does.
If it is exactly the same (or even just similar) I'm sure Porsche has patented it already. Has anyone checked patents registered by Porsche in the last 7-10 years? Usually patents are placed years before even starting to work on something.

I remember Microsoft patenting AI driven selective preload on Windows boot up over 6 years ago and it hasn't even reached the public yet.

I'd be very surprised if Porsche slept on this and is going to be rear ended by Ferrari with it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Car makers have been dicking about with car sounds for many years, from valves which only open at above regulation checking revs to make the exhaust louder, to manipulating and regurgitating an amplified version of the electric motor sound.
In between are sound tubes between a tuned bit of the inlet manifold and the cockpit to sound more sporty to the driver and actual sound tracks played over speakers.

It is all monumentally naff and pathetic IMO, I can see the attraction of it on a nice sounding flat-6, V8 or V12 normally aspirated engine, since it is real.

One of the biggest attractions of the Taycan is speed without a tiring racket. My regular long drive in the Taycan is relaxing whereas in my Ferrari it is tiring.

Fun only for short blasts (OK but a LOT of fun ;))

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
It’s like a VSTi yes, would not be surprised.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
The sound is very useful in crowded places where people need to know you are there.

Scenario: after-school club pick up. A dark poorly lit car park with parents and kids coming from all directions, cars going in and out constantly and obviously: children doing stupid things. Sports sound off: people literally walk out in front of me and near-death occurs (and I drive very very slowly and carefully here) Sport sound on: people look up and see the car and stop/pay attention.

I have at least 4-6 scenario's like this in my week with various pick ups and drop offs, albeit not always in the dark. It is super helpful

I also quite enjoy using it if I'm on twisty roads and having fun as it adds to the experience imo.

Normal driving it's off as it gets very drone-y.

A little digression I know, apologies.

On topic: I suspect Porsche will either contest the patent, or Ferrari will find a way to prove it's different enough that it's OK. But it does sound similar!

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
The sound is very useful in crowded places where people need to know you are there.

Scenario: after-school club pick up. A dark poorly lit car park with parents and kids coming from all directions, cars going in and out constantly and obviously: children doing stupid things. Sports sound off: people literally walk out in front of me and near-death occurs (and I drive very very slowly and carefully here) Sport sound on: people look up and see the car and stop/pay attention.

I have at least 4-6 scenario's like this in my week with various pick ups and drop offs, albeit not always in the dark. It is super helpful

I also quite enjoy using it if I'm on twisty roads and having fun as it adds to the experience imo.

Normal driving it's off as it gets very drone-y.

A little digression I know, apologies.

On topic: I suspect Porsche will either contest the patent, or Ferrari will find a way to prove it's different enough that it's OK. But it does sound similar!
I was hit 4 times in the last 5 years at my kid's school parking lot. Some parents get blind during the morning stress of leaving or picking up the kids. My rear bumper was painted 3 times in 3 years and my back right passenger door once.

I don't think I'm even going to approach the parking lot when I have the taycan 🤣

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Sports sound off: people literally walk out in front of me and near-death occurs
I don’t know about the UK, but in the US there is a law which requires all EVs to have sound (noise) when the car is driven below 15 mph. The sound cannot be turned off.
The law doesn’t state what the sound needs to be, but the intent is to prevent pedestrians from walking in front of silent EVs when in the street. In my Tesla Y, there is a selection of sounds you can pick.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I wonder does it use MIDI?
It’s like a VSTi yes, would not be surprised.
A gratuitous noise generator is my idea of hell in an EV and most other circumstances....however, if ever there's a programmable virtual synth with MIDI control inputs from the car and driver (perhaps by whistling in to a microphone), then I'll be first in the queue for it. I'd like to create something sounding like a hybrid of a chicken and a theremin. Great for alerting unwary pedestrians.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I don’t know about the UK, but in the US there is a law which requires all EVs to have sound (noise) when the car is driven below 15 mph. The sound cannot be turned off.
The law doesn’t state what the sound needs to be, but the intent is to prevent pedestrians from walking in front of silent EVs when in the street. In my Tesla Y, there is a selection of sounds you can pick.
We do have this, but the sound is not loud enough without sports sound on. From experience.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
the sound is not loud enough without sports sound on. From experience.
If its not loud enough, then this is not accomplishing the purpose, which is to make EVs safer.