WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I think that's a good example of the benefit of a sound having an intermittent component to draw attention. I suspect (but have yet to experience it first-hand) that the Taycan's default sound is too regular and smooth to stand out against typical ambient noise- a sound designed with too much emphasis on sounding cool or clever and not enough consideration of alerting pedestrians. On a semi-serious note- needs more cowbell. Perhaps the ESS option achieves that to some extent, not just by being louder.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I think that's a good example of the benefit of a sound having an intermittent component to draw attention. I suspect (but have yet to experience it first-hand) that the Taycan's default sound is too regular and smooth to stand out against typical ambient noise- a sound designed with too much emphasis on sounding cool or clever and not enough consideration of alerting pedestrians. On a semi-serious note- needs more cowbell. Perhaps the ESS option achieves that to some extent, not just by being louder.
Sports sound definitely helped clear/warn the lemmings from stepping off the kerbs and out of the roads around soho and covent garden last night. Not sure they could generally hear us otherwise.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Sports sound definitely helped clear/warn the lemmings from stepping off the kerbs and out of the roads around soho and covent garden last night. Not sure they could generally hear us otherwise.
It definitely does. With it off, it's just not loud/noticeable enough

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It definitely does. With it off, it's just not loud/noticeable enough
Well since I switched it off after about 30 secs on thew demo drive and PEC Silverstone I did not spec the sound, seemed an even bigger waste of money than the electric charge port doors for me, personally, so I am presumably doomed to mow down pedestriams in perpetuity.
Actually I am used to being careful around pedestrians having been using a silent PHV for the last 10 years.

GtechRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
1000% agree. I specced the sound only because of resale value. Used it all of about 30 seconds in 11k miles covered.

I am now at the point of getting a bit grumpy about hearing the faint whine of the electric motor :CWL:

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Well since I switched it off after about 30 secs on thew demo drive and PEC Silverstone I did not spec the sound, seemed an even bigger waste of money than the electric charge port doors for me, personally, so I am presumably doomed to mow down pedestriams in perpetuity.
Actually I am used to being careful around pedestrians having been using a silent PHV for the last 10 years.
I'm always careful around pedestrians too, but I have quite different use cases to you on a regular basis, which mean care isn't enough. I do get not everyone needs this kind of warning and gets into this kind of situation on a (near), daily basis.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Good point. My 2019 Cayenne e-Hybrid lacked what was soon to become a legally-mandated sound generator, so I had to switch to Sport mode to force the ICE on and alert unwary pedestrians- not very eco-friendly.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
1000% agree. I specced the sound only because of resale value. Used it all of about 30 seconds in 11k miles covered.

I am now at the point of getting a bit grumpy about hearing the faint whine of the electric motor :CWL:
It is probably worth doing a poll to see who uses it most of the time and who doesn't. I might have a go!

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
....seemed an even bigger waste of money than the electric charge port doors for me,
Tend to agree on that. They look cool in the show room, but i've yet to impress any friends with a display and i don't do enough (any) on-street slow charging to worry about some arse snapping a manual door off.

Electric sound - fun from time to time and when in sportier modes. All day, every day no. Spec it - yes.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I suspect that I won't have the sound on all the time but personally I find it cool and my kid's first question when I told them I ordered the far was "will it have that cool sound?"

On the other hand, my wife finds it ridiculous and has been reminding me about it a few times already. She actually said, and I quote "for that money, I can do the sound for you myself" to which I replied "But then I would have to take you with me all the time". Let's just say that the couch that night wasn't as comfy as I expected 😅

Anyway. I think it's a personal choice. Either you like it or you don't. You can try to justify it with whatever and that's fine but I don't see threads arguing about the uglyness or prettyness of Mambo Green or Cherry metallic because everyone recognises it's a personal choice.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Incidentally, I've recently been noticing quite a few apparently non-hybrid ICE cars producing so little engine and tyre noise at low speeds that they could do with pedestrian alert sound or whatever it's called.
Sponsored