Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
This is a new series all about electric cars.

Last nights main feature was Taycan Turbo v RS Etron GT.

Its on Quest on Thu eve, this was episode 2.
I recorded it on Freeview as we don't bother with paid TV (Sky / Virgin / BT etc).
They did say something about catchup on Discovery+ as well I think?

Its a good series so far.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Fingers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
In this week's episode they did a piece about chip shortage / used car prices.

They used the Taycan as an example, saying that due to the long waits for new cars, people with deliveries of new Taycans have been offered 20% over list to sell.

Any examples from members here?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag

They used the Taycan as an example, saying that due to the long waits for new cars, people with deliveries of new Taycans have been offered 20% over list to sell.

Seem to recall some forum members in CA mentioning seeing prices that were 15%+ over MSRP at dealerships.

So care to share the highlights of the comparo between the Turbo and Etron?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
What is the programme called and can one watch it on catch up?

This is a new series all about electric cars.

Last nights main feature was Taycan Turbo v RS Etron GT.

Its on Quest on Thu eve, this was episode 2.
I recorded it on Freeview as we don't bother with paid TV (Sky / Virgin / BT etc).
They did say something about catchup on Discovery+ as well I think?

Its a good series so far.

OP
OP
Fish Fingers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Here's the trailer.....

I am not sure about catch up, as I don't bother with paid TV and I just record it on Freeview each week.
Sorry I can't help more!

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
its called fifth gear: recharged. It's on Quest and you should be able to find it on sky q.

For those who can't get it, the Taycan comes out better, but not the most scientific or well put together piece tbh.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks.
I only have Freeview (and Britbox) too

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

Not with my ordered Taycan but I sold my X5 45e for 80% of the new price at 28.000 km and 2 years old. This also reflects the situation. A friend has a Mazda dealership. His showroom is half empty and al displayed cars are sold. New cars arriving are sold within a week. Used cars are sold for the price he asks. If people try to negotiate he doesn’t have to lower the price it will be sold in short time to someone else anyway.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag

Not sure about exactly how much above MSRP on new cars, but just check the price of used Taycans on cars.com and such. Most 2020 4S are going at nearly MSRP....

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Present rate of waiting I'll be dead/no longer eligible for a license before my Taycan gets built!

• Haha
Reactions: jam

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Present rate of waiting I'll be dead/no longer eligible for a license before my Taycan gets built!
I think the perceived shortage of cars is just a combination of factors. Probably market has moved up towards higher priced vehicles during the pandemic (life is short?) and some transport jam issues. Indeed, Porsche sold significantly more care in 2021 (70,025) vs 2019 (61,568, pre-pandemic year). Probably we are seeing a move towards the European model - few demo cars on the lot, order yours and pay MSRP.... The few that are not custom ordered are in short supply and high demand. Same for second-hand cars

For what it's worth, my dealer said the production increase starts to catch up with demand.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I've not yet managed to catch a single episode (Freeview only here).
I use My5 to catch up on the rare occasion that Ch5 has something that interests me (Yay! Strongman events!), but Fifth Gear Recharged is missing from that service...rubbish support from Ch5.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
As someone who has owned both I subscribed to watch and oh boy. I was not impressed. They don't seem to actually be very knowledgeable about the cars. Forgetting the opinion portion (I personally prefer the overall balance of the drive of the RS Etron GT for what it is) and the interior the other things they get wrong are:

1) Range, these cars can actually do the stated range if driven as intended. How they drive it doesn't change the efficiency. That is wrong.

2) The stated 0 to 60 time for RS Audi was wrong.

3) The pricing is also wrong, I am relatively sure they weren't speced the same. If they were the Porsche is more expensive (they said the Audi is). I am guessing the Audi has ceramic disk break and Taycan did not. I am not sure they warmed them up, but it did get shorter on the second stop which implies maybe they did not.

4) Same person should have driven the track on both cars. Yes they are pro but that would keep it comparable. The second guy definitely wasn't as comfortable from the start. What they said made no sense, others have clocked almost identical times between the two cars on tracks.

They are both great cars and very comparable. It is a "flavor" difference. It seemed a wee bit biased towards the Porsche in my opinion....

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
As someone who has owned both I subscribed to watch and oh boy. I was not impressed. They don't seem to actually be very knowledgeable about the cars. Forgetting the opinion portion (I personally prefer the overall balance of the drive of the RS Etron GT for what it is) and the interior the other things they get wrong are:

1) Range, these cars can actually do the stated range if driven as intended. How they drive it doesn't change the efficiency. That is wrong.

2) The stated 0 to 60 time for RS Audi was wrong.

3) The pricing is also wrong, I am relatively sure they weren't speced the same. If they were the Porsche is more expensive (they said the Audi is). I am guessing the Audi has ceramic disk break and Taycan did not. I am not sure they warmed them up, but it did get shorter on the second stop which implies maybe they did not.

4) Same person should have driven the track on both cars. Yes they are pro but that would keep it comparable. The second guy definitely wasn't as comfortable from the start. What they said made no sense, others have clocked almost identical times between the two cars on tracks.

They are both great cars and very comparable. It is a "flavor" difference. It seemed a wee bit biased towards the Porsche in my opinion....
Not sure it was biased, just they both seemed to prefer the porsche. But as you say, the things like pricing and testing the cars were very flawed. Poorly made programme.
Sponsored