FINAL CHOOSE - 4S standard battery or good spec RWD with Performance Battery?

OP
OP

Ledakar

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - production 01/22
Country flag
@fullmetalbaal

Yes I am buying for myself. I like that idea about options which I can have. But in another hand 4S with more power is really nice idea. I am only worry about small battery. Do you know anyone who had take 4S with small battery?
Sponsored

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Good spec 4s (or good spec 4s with performance batt). Awd makes it so usable at all times.

OP
OP

Ledakar

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good specs 4S is out my budget. I have budget 125k USD or 108,5k EUR for this car.

yoursuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN
Country flag
Check below video out… this helped me out for sure and I went with base model with good upgrades. I am planning to keep the car for long though, no plans of selling it anytime soon.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Hi there,

the days of locking my build are coming, so I must made decision - will you chose model 4S with standard battery or good spec RWD with Performance Battery? The price is the same. I had only ask what will be better for day use and resell value in future?

Best,
Opposites.
A RWD with all the options on you want will be the most fun for your day to day use.
A 4S with fewer options costing the same new will almost certainly be worth more used.

I buy a car for me, never for resale value but maybe you are different.

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
As others have said if you spend say 110K on a RWD and 110K on the 4S, then there’s no doubt that when you come to sell it the 4S will be worth more. Only you can decide if you need the extra range provided with the performance battery plus over the extra actual performance (1.6 seconds faster 0-60 is a pretty significant jump over the RWD).

Many say the 4S is the current sweet spot in the model range and it’s hard to argue against that.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Opposites.
A RWD with all the options on you want will be the most fun for your day to day use.
A 4S with fewer options costing the same new will almost certainly be worth more used.

I buy a car for me, never for resale value but maybe you are different.
I agree with f1eng.

I came to the Taycan from an M2 after many years with AWD.

We don't get much snow and also have a 4WD SUV in the house (as does the OP).

I loved the M2 and RWD.

Reactions: B61

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@fullmetalbaal

Yes I am buying for myself. I like that idea about options which I can have. But in another hand 4S with more power is really nice idea. I am only worry about small battery. Do you know anyone who had take 4S with small battery?
Are you keeping the Macan or another car around for longer drives?

If so, I would consider the small battery and 4S. Most people I know have the larger one, including myself. But if I could go back, I'd probably remove that option. Right now, the car is heavier than it needs to be, and that's a fair chunk of change sunk into something I'm not sure will give me any value.

Why the change of heart? I'm slowly coming to the painful realization that the taycan is currently not a good choice for road trips. I've had sooo many issues with EA charging, I wouldn't want to rely on it on a longer road trip. In the last 2 months I've aborted 2 longer drives I had planned due to this. And I don't really see a way of achieving anything close to the 250 miles people report getting. I'd be happy to get the EPA range. The range mode AC is too weak IMHO, the efficient range of the car is a very specific speed, etc. Bottom line: the larger battery is better than the smaller one, but still falls short.

So if it's only for local driving only anyway, then the longer range really only means that you need to potentially plug in slightly less frequently... Seems like a pricey way to charge ~10% less frequently.

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I agree to buy the car with the options you want. This is why I am going to RWD with no PB+ (I just don't need the miles), but with options I know I will enjoy every day like Olea leather, air suspension, RWS, etc.

The only option I am getting that I may not really need but to future proof a bit is the ACC.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
RWD in this scenario all day. If you weren't going to daily and keep a garage queen, the 4S might be better, but you'll miss the creature comforts you're sacrificing for the extra speed.

I'm actually coming down from a 4S to a CT4 and I made that decision by test driving a well equipped RWD. The extra power is a nice parlor trick here and there, but is basically never needed on a daily and the RWD still has plenty of scoot.

As a brand Porsche makes all their entry models fantastic and they're usually the best kept secret in the range.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
Can only echo much of the above. I came/am coming out of a fully-specced RWD AMG 63s for my Taycan and if it had been that or the next model up with some of the bells and whistles missing, I’d have felt I’d sold myself an incomplete package. I had the same feelings when I went for a 4S over a Turbo as I elected to spec my 4S to over the base price of a Turbo but it has absolutely everything I want on it and, as my first EV and my first Porsche, I didn’t want to feel a nagging doubt I’d missed something off.

No doubt, the first time a Turbo(S) pulls up alongside me at the lights I shall feel inferior and worthless, and rue all my life choices that had lead me to that moment!

Jokes aside, I’d say, whilst it’s good to try and plan for the best financially, when it comes to cars, it’s trying to hit a moving target and, whatever you choose, you’ve got to drive it in the meantime so do get the car that excites you the most and accept that it might, or might not, come with a modest financial penalty to do so.

We are fortunate to have such first-world problems to chew on aren’t we?

ampitup

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had the same choice and choose the 4S with the standard batter rather than the standard Taycan with the battery plus option. No regrets whatsoever. I'm getting between 260 to 270 in range with the standard battery which is plenty for me.

OP
OP

Ledakar

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Still thinking. Please let me know - If you can choose 4S and can add battery plus or leather interior - What it would be?

mikelevitt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I think if you are worrying about resale value above all else, you might want to consider a different choice. I think at this point everybody, including the experts are guessing at the resale value of these cars. I think it's reasonable to assume that as EV technology improves, the value of the older models might take a big hit. On the other hand, I think that the Taycan because of desirability and the fact that it's a really great car might be a bit immune to that. People still want air-cooled cars even though the performance is much better on newer models.

I tried to load your configuration and got it in Polish! Not sure why.

My advice is this. You only buy a new Porsche once in a great while (or once) and since there is no practical reason to own one, and much cheaper ways to get transportation, it is a dream car and you should build the one you want. So get the 4S with the options you want on the base model. If you are really limited to a certain budget ("I only can afford $110,000!!") or the resale value REALLY matters to your financial future, you should probably buy a different car, or wait a few years for a used Taycan.

If you are planning on just driving around town, get the standard battery. If you are going to do road trips, get the performance battery. It's far enough between charging stations that you stand a good chance of running out of power with the standard battery.
Sponsored