AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Please don't confuse different things. There is no need to have the vehicle added to the PMCC vehicle list to get this working. The "Porsche ID" is not relevant in this case. This will also not be available in the Porsche App or anywhere else, only in the PMCC display/website. Just don't bother about this, as it has nothing to do with the root cause of why it is not working.

If you do not see the SoC in the PMCC display/website, then there is no PV surplus charging possible and there is no Porsche ID showing up. So the rout cause is that the communication between the EV and the PMCC is not working as it should.

Could you please provide screenshots for every step I mentioned to check?
Sponsored

kamil

First Name
Kamil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S
Country flag
Hi Andreas,

I went through the whole process again, kindly find the snapshots attached.

- The use of an active (!!) charging profile (either general or location based) with optimized charging enabled. If the general profile is not active, an location based for your actual location is required (Picture IMG_0399) , and this is the selected Profile.
- The Taycan to have Plug & Charge enabled (Picture IMG_0400)
- When connecting the Taycan to the PMCC to see the SoC in the PMCC display or PMCC website (it will not work if the SoC is not shown!) (The SOC is not showing anywhere)
- The PMCC and the HEMS need to be accessible in the same local network, it does not matter wether that is via PLC or WLAN. As long both websites are accessible it is fine (Both are accessible and they see each other, Picture PMCC (HEM Connected))
- The PMCC and the HEMS need to be paired, check each devices website if they show the other device as being connected under the respective menu (Yes they are connected)
- The PMCC display/website showing the HEMS icon to indicate an established connection with the HEMS (the HEM logo is visible in Both Image IMG_0395, IMG_0407, and PMCC HEM Connected)

I did a full reset of the PMCC over so many iterations tonight. but same results.
Yet a problem that was there from day 1 and we couldn't resolve, is summarized below:
- while going through the PMCC setup wizard, after selecting the country, Language, and when we reach to Network part. after connecting the PMCC to the Wifi Network, I receive the following message, Server Authentication Error, restart your device by pressing ... (IMG_0405). Yet it is connecting normally, to the network and an IP is being assigned and the WLAN connects to the Internet smoothly (IMG_0404). But to eliminate doubt, I still tried it with 3 other networks and 2 hot spots and still the same error message.

You mentioned earlier that the Porsche ID is not of a significance, nevertheless I am attaching the screen shot. (IMG_0393).

A couple of observations:
1. the Cloud icon within the PMCC is not showing.
2. the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect, "the white paper delivered with the Car including the PMCC, Home User, Tech User, etc...), has a PIN/PUK that become after they are sprayed with water. Is there any place where they can be used.
3. My PMCC Software Version is 2934, is that the latest or its not updating as well?

By the time I finished this email and was doing some research, I came across this thread which really summarizes everything that I have written above. Unfortunately I already spent an hour writing the above with the attachment so I won't scrap it. but it looks like I need to get my PMCC replaced.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/pmcc-server-authentication-error.5624/post-77993

OF course, your thoughts are welcomed.

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_0399

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_0400

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar PMCC (HEM Connected)

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_0395

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_0407

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_0405

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_0404

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_0393

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Hi Kamil,

none of the images shows that Plug & Charge is enabled In the Taycan. You find the setting in the vehicles charging interface, tap the … buttons and then there should be an option to activate Plug & Charge. Check the manual if you can‘t find it.

The screenshot you posted with the system information has nothing to do with an „Porsche ID“. As I mentioned, it is not relevant, you won‘t see that ID anywhere in the car or the app. Just forget about it ;)

My guess would be that Plug & Charge is not active in your Taycan.

kamil

First Name
Kamil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Kamil,

none of the images shows that Plug & Charge is enabled In the Taycan. You find the setting in the vehicles charging interface, tap the … buttons and then there should be an option to activate Plug & Charge. Check the manual if you can‘t find it.

The screenshot you posted with the system information has nothing to do with an „Porsche ID“. As I mentioned, it is not relevant, you won‘t see that ID anywhere in the car or the app. Just forget about it ;)

My guess would be that Plug & Charge is not active in your Taycan.
Hi Andreas,

I forgot to attach it before, but indeed it's checked (IMG_0398) and as you rightly mentioned, the PMCC is not showing the SOC or the Vehicle name. As if connecting a solar system with all the gadgets is not challenging enough, with the PMCC issue that I shared from a different thread is adding one extra complication :p

I don't know if you had a chance to check the other thread I included:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/pmcc-server-authentication-error.5624/post-77993
But without having this running, how would the PMCC and pair with the vehicle
Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_0398

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
The last possibility why this is not working is checking this:
Log into the PMCC web interface with the tech user (!!) and check the under the menu „connections“ if the „PLC connection to the EV“ is turned on

You do not need to „pair“ the vehicle with the PMCC to get solar charging working.

kamil

First Name
Kamil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The last possibility why this is not working is checking this:
Log into the PMCC web interface with the tech user (!!) and check the under the menu „connections“ if the „PLC connection to the EV“ is turned on

You do not need to „pair“ the vehicle with the PMCC to get solar charging working.
I assume if its on, I should turn it off since all my setups are being done through wifi?

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
No, it should be on. do not turn it off.
If it is on, then your OBC might have an issue causing this not to work.

kamil

First Name
Kamil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, it should be on. do not turn it off.
If it is on, then your OBC might have an issue causing this not to work.
Good Morning Andreas,

You cannot imagine the joy after I turned on the PLC connection to the EV, and reconfigured my PMCC with the HEM, and suddenly everything is working perfectly, or almost, I didn't have time to play with different combinations of profiles and timers since I had to go to work. But in simple words the Taycan is being charged with the excess solar energy :like:

From day one I never saw my PMCC the way it is now that all is sorted out, and since I don't personally know anyone else with a Taycan in Lebanon, I couldn't compare notes, and the rest of group within the Taycan Forum are mostly in Europe, North America, and Australia; so they have all the lovely gadgets including the My Porsche App, and Wireless Car Play, etc... so I thought until the Porsche ID is rolled out to this region nothing else is going to work. Clearly I was wrong.

the PMCC is showing all the right elements in place (Taycan, SOC, time remaining, and the lovely little icons at the very top).

I took the following screen shots for your reference.

One thing I noticed is that I might have my sensors connected to different phases (CT2 with L3, instead of L2). And 2 out of the 3 phases are charging, but this I need to look into (in case the house was using some resources hence the Amp was below 3, consequently not detected by the sensors).

Ps. I maintained my wifi connection, rather thanPLC.

I can't thank you enough for the help you have extended, I joined the Forum last week, and in few days we could sort out something that has been dragging since Oct. 2021 with the electricians, technicians, and Porsche Center in Lebanon. Burkhard, Craig, your input was of a great help all along.

If you need me to share any pics, I'll be happy to supply you with.

Have a great day
Kamil

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 10.35.46 AM
Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 10.29.05 AM

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 10.28.11 AM

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_97F3EBB2E89C-1

stefan0663

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am having issues not seeing my power sources values and current flow but I am seing readings in Current sensors section. What seems to be the problem why I am not seeing it?

Also have someone figured out the setup for current sensors and settings overall for off grid solar power plant? I have 22kw solar plant with 60kwh batteries and 30kw output power from batteries alone.

stefan0663

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Picked up my MY22 Taycan RWD a couple of weeks ago, and had the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) and Porsche Home Energy Manager (HEM) installed at my house the same day - but I only figured it all out (finally) this morning, and got it to work the way I wanted.

Issue: I have a 10 kW solar system on my rooftop, including a 13 kWh battery. On a good day, the battery would be fully charged by noon, so the system is spitting out up to 10 kW, with my household using typically just around between 1 kW and 2 kW of that generation. Of the amount generated, there is a limit of 5 kW that I can export/send to the grid (at a miserly 6.7c per kWh), so the remaining solar generation is just wasted.

My ideal system: PMCC + HEM would charge the Taycan using the excess solar energy, and not draw power from the grid at all unless I need the car to be charged in a hurry.

Problem: For the past two weeks -
  • using profile alone (min 65%; optimised charging selected) - the car would simply charge to 65% on fully blast (7.5 kW on my single-phase system) and then stop charging completely;
  • using profile + timer (min 65%; optimised charging selected; timer 85% at 16:00 hrs) - the car will do as intended ... charge to 65% and then pause, and then wait until the last possible moment to charge on full blast (7.5 kW) to get to 85% at 16:00 hrs [interesting side note - on timer, the charging starts at the last possible moment, rather than earliest possible moment]
This is not what I want. The system is drawing from the grid (to make up the 7.5 kW when there is insufficient solar generation) to charge the car in a short period, when I don't need it to do that. I'd prefer the car to charge slower, and just using my excess solar energy.

And then ... I finally figured out what I have been doing wrong (or not doing) ...

It's this little setting called "Activate Plug and Charge", hidden under the settings menu, which I had not come across earlier. This is the final step that I have not been doing to make it all work!

To access it - you go to <Home> - <Charging> - <Overview> - < ... > - then select "Activate Plug and Charge". And voila! Suddenly, the PMCC is talking to the car to vary the charging current continuously, and only use as much as there is excess solar, to charge the car.

Problem solved! I thought I would share this - I wish Porsche would create a step-by-step guide to make this more intuitive. I have been trying to figure this out, and it has taken me a while. But I'm happy - it's working for me now!

Current setting:
  • Location-based profile around my house - min 65%, optimised charging selected
  • Timer - charge to 85% target by 16:00 hrs each day, repeated
  • Plug and Charge "activated".

Cheers
Craig in Melbourne, Australia
Can you take a picture of your setup? Incl. you wiring and settings? I would like to see what have you done, how your CT's are installed. Thanks

stefan0663

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Finally everything is working thanks to Craig and AndiL who was very helpful with sorting out the currents of my sensors!

The Pitfalls:

- If the car has a 22kW charger and your home installation can take only 16A you will need three additional sensors ( if you have 3 phases) on the lines to the PMCC to limit the current to 16A. Once the PMCC is communicating with the HEMS you can not limit the maximal current of the PMCC, the HEMS will send 22kW to the car when charging from the grid and the fuse will blow unless you have these additional sensors on the lines to the PMCC, where you can configure a maximum current.

- if you want to use Photovoltaic you will need 3 additional sensors ( if you have 3 phases) on the photovoltaic lines.

- you always need the 3 sensors for the grid ( if you have three phases), only three sensors are included with the HEMS package - you need to order 3 ( for PV) or another 3 sensors ( if you need to limit the current going to the PMCC - e.g. if your car has a 22kW charger and you have a 16 Ampere home installation)

Look at the web interface of the HEMS and check the sensors:

1. When there is no storage connected: The sensors for the grid must display negative Ampere numbers when current is flowing from the grid to the car. There should be positive numbers when the current is flowing from the photovoltaic system to the grid. The sensors should not measure a current if the car is charging from the PV.
  2. Sensors for the Photovoltaic must display negative Ampere if the sun is shining. My photovoltaic sensors were installed in the wrong direction ( they showed positive Amperes and, the HEMS interface did not show any current coming from the photovoltaic). The photovoltaic dependent charging worked nevertheless even with the PV sensors in the wrong direction, since the current going to the car is regulated by the grid sensors ( they try to keep the current at zero). But you will have to configure the PV sensors. If you don`t, the PV depedent charging of the car will not work.
  3. The sensors for the line to the PMCC will show negative Ampere when the car is charging
If you have a storage ( like Tesla Power wall) that is connected via one phase it gets a little more complicated. If the powerwall is being discharged with 4,9 kW ( 20 Ampere) on phase 1 these 20 Amperes will add on positive on phase 1. So the car is drawing -6 Ampere on phase 1, 2 and 3. The Grid sensors for L2 and L3 may show -6A. And L1 is displaying +10 A: -6 ( car) +20 (Tesla Power wall)- 4(for house electricity). First i thought that the L1 sensor is placed not correctly, but Andi pointed out to me, that the current of the storage will add on on this phase. And if the powerwall is being charged with 4,9 kW there will add -20A on Phase 1.

In the morning ( powerwall empty) the PV of phase 1 is going to the powerwall, phase 2 +3 are going to the car ( 2/3 of the PV). Once the powerwall is ful, there may be small amounts < 3 ampere go to the grid until the grid sensor measure a current above 3 A and upregulates the current of the PMCC. When the sun is decreasing, the PMCC will draw current from the powerwall. If powerwall is empty or locked, there will be small amounts (<3 ampere) of current come from grid until the grid sensors measure a current > 3 ampere and downregulate the current that the PMCC will send to the car.

Timers don´t seem to stop the photovoltaic dependent charging. Has anyone figured out how to stop the charging at SoC 85%?
Can you take a pic of your electric wiring and all related to it? i have some issues with my system. I have 22kw off grid solar power plant with 60kwh batteries. Thank you

Gubab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.1 GTS Cabriolet
Country flag
Stefan,

your current sensors for PV should read negative Ampere numbers, when sun is shining. Mine were installed the wrong way ( reading positive numbers) which resulted in no visible current flows in the HEMS web interface. Maybe you post a picture of your sensors. I will take a picture of my setup tonight.

kind regards

Burkhard

kamil

First Name
Kamil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Stefan,

you can find the pics for my system further above in this thread. Actually it happens that by the time I was charging the EV, we were off-grid due to the constant blackouts, and we get a lot of that in Lebanon. which kinda mimics your off-grid setup.

Anyways, once you share the pics, we should be able to assist more.

stefan0663

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you both for fast response. Here are the pics from my setup in the box.

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4692

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4693

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4694

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4695

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4696

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4697

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4698

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4699

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4700

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4701

stefan0663

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
And here are the pics of everything else... On the pic with inverters and batteries you see only 2 batteries but now I have 6x10.2kwh.

On the pic with current sensors one thing is strange to me. Since batteries are depleted and there is no sun right now how come it measures the current from inverters side when everything comes from the grid? Also should I set to load or mains the photovoltaic side? What is the difference in working with it? I haven't seen solar panel sign on my charger.

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4702

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4703

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4707

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4706

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4705

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_4704

Porsche Taycan Finally figured it out - Home Energy Manager + Mobile Charger Connect + Solar IMG_2931