Finger in the air depreciation..

FutureEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P
Country flag
I'm currently pondering if it's best to run a lease through the business or outright purchase the car through the business.

The difference comes down to the value of the car after 2 years. Speccing the car to say £100k - does anyone have a finger in the air guess at what that might look like after 2 years. I'm talking about a price that a dealer would buy it back for.

£60k, 70k, 80k?

I understand it's a difficult one, many factors, but assume it's had all the right boxes ticked, decent colour, leather, sunroof etc. Feels like the first wave of any new Porsche seems to be depreciation-less for the first year or so, but that's past now with the Taycan?
Sponsored

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Here’s my example of a 6 month old Taycan: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/resale-value.6462/

I will be (hopefully) selling it in the next 6-8 weeks when my Turbo S arrives and will update that thread to say how much I received. That will give you an idea of having a car less than 9 months and the deprecation hit on it.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I'm currently pondering if it's best to run a lease through the business or outright purchase the car through the business.

The difference comes down to the value of the car after 2 years. Speccing the car to say £100k - does anyone have a finger in the air guess at what that might look like after 2 years. I'm talking about a price that a dealer would buy it back for.

£60k, 70k, 80k?

I understand it's a difficult one, many factors, but assume it's had all the right boxes ticked, decent colour, leather, sunroof etc. Feels like the first wave of any new Porsche seems to be depreciation-less for the first year or so, but that's past now with the Taycan?
My 4S was just over 100K last July. Against a new replacement I was verbally quoted 90K for it. When you think there’s a chunk of VAT in that, I would be happy.

Beardo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BluTack 4S CT
Country flag
Might be worth asking your dealer for a dummy quote to see what their PCP GFV is after two years?

4 years on a 4S CT is approx £50k

I think you can assume thats the worst case?

OP
OP

FutureEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P
Country flag
Yeah I was just curious historically how far off they are from the GFV when people come to change their cars.

It's potentially just a low ball made up figure?

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
last year, I would have said lease.......now that we are a year and a half into this pandemic and we still see supply chain disruptions and shortages, I might choose purchase at this point in time (end Sept/Beginning Oct '21), just due to the amount of used Taycan's that will be available at the end of the lease term.

However, you can always hedge and still lease, then sell it at time of buyout and pocket the difference if the used price exceeds the payout with depreciation.

Just some thoughts to think about as this really will be a personal decision and how you can write off the depreciation on your balance sheet, depending on your revenue and expenses.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Personal decision was to buy (with PCP).
Big deposit, affordable monthlies and will aim to pay balloon.

Considered lease/pcp via business, but for a number of reasons personal PCP works better for me.

MIOAJO

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S
Country flag
If you are able I would recommend buying rather than than leasing. I'm banking on low depreciation of the CT (to order soon) and intend to renew at 2 year stage - I have just sold my Macan S 2nd generation, 2 years old (12k mileage) - cost £54.5k new and Porsche Exeter offered to buy it back at £51k (with minor door ding) but sold it for £52.5k to another dealer. Lots of interest as well. £2k depreciation for 2 years where I was expecting at least £10k! I'm expecting that I will lose no more than £10k on CT when I come to sell after 2 years but hoping for even less based on the Macan depreciation experience........

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
I suspect the residual depends on a lot with what happens to the current semiconductor shortage and the supply chain.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
On a 3-year, 10k miles per year lease in the US the residual value is estimated to be around 55% so maybe that should give you some idea of a worst case scenario.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I am toying with the idea of putting down a deposit for a new one when I collect the current order. Not sure, but if the lead time is 1 year now and doesn’t change, depreciation may be close to zero. I can always cancel nearer the time
Sponsored