Finish paperwork while car is in repair?

panga33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My 2021 taycan 4s car arrived at dealership last week (WA, USA) and lost power during during delivery prep. The dealer determined that they need to swap the high voltage power converter. The part is being expedited from Germany and car wont be fixed until next week.

However the dealer is asking me come in and finish paperwork for the car. I am concerned about taking delivery of the car without a clear delivery date. Should i sign paperwork when car is ready? Does it make sense to take ownership and count these days under the 30 day lemon law counter?
Sponsored

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Short answer—No. I wouldnt take delivery until the car is perfect. If you’re financing the car, then why incur interest and payments on a car that’s in the shop, especially one that’s incarcerated in the shop for an indeterminate amount of time?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Certainly not, and if it was me I would probably not buy this specific car unless it is a special order that you had to wait for long.

Last edited:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Which dealership are you using? I can tell you that neither Bellingham nor Tacoma have any clue how to deal with the Taycan and I'd run from the car after it needed that extreme of a pre purchase repair.

I bought my car from Tacoma and they were an absolute disgrace, worst dealership I've ever been to; then tried to get it serviced in Bellingham and they didn't know even basics about the Taycan and told me to take my business elsewhere.

Be aware that in Washington they cannot keep your deposit under any circumstance and are legally required to return it immediately upon request.

CPH-Taycan4S

First Name
Christoph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 Porsche 911, e-golf
Country flag
Welcome to Taycan ownership in the PNW. I would very strongly advise against finishing the paperwork. You have no idea how long it will take to get this problem fixed. My experience purchasing a Taycan in Seattle was not the most pleasant. At least the drive is a blast.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I thought you are supposed to buy a new car, not one that has a battery swapped. I would walk away, it is not like there are no inventory Taycans. To the very least you should ask for a substantial discount.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
You know the right answer. And in case there was any doubt, it's HELL NO. Consider yourself lucky that this happened before delivery because all the pressure is on them to get it right. Even after they claim it's fixed, demand a test drive before signing anything. I had a Taycan die on me during a test drive Last summer.

OP
OP

panga33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. Told dealer that car needs to be fixed and working (will test drive) before signing.

This is at the Bellevue dealership and they sold most cars in WA, so i am hoping they have best service and experience.

This was a custom order and we waited for 5+ months, so hard to walk away (Yet!!)

P.S - Sorry for a later response
Sponsored