First 1000 Miles MY21 RWD

atxtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Might endure flames for this, but I'll start by saying I'm not a Porsche Fan Boy. Also, not a motorhead. I don't go driving for fun - I drive to get around. I'm just a guy who wants an electric, nice car. I had a Tesla Model S for 3 years, test drove a Taycan, and while I enjoyed the drive, I wasn't sure I should buy one, because I wasn't "serious" enough for a Porsche (e.g. when I asked about self-driving capabilities, the sales woman said "people who buy a Porsche want to drive!"). I ordered one, then canceled it (after it was already en route) due to Covid (this was early 2020). Well, I finally ordered, purchased, and received one in October 2021. I don't drive a lot, especially since I mostly work from home these days (I only just passed 1000 miles). So, here, as a "layperson" are my opinions.

Quite simply, the drive is great. Everything that makes a Porsche a great car is present here. I have fun driving it.

Some other parts of the car are good, some are not as good.

The software (I'm a software engineer by education) is appallingly bad. I find myself sitting in the car and crying "how did the Porsche engineers get this so wrong??" I understand and accept this is a computer on wheels, and an early generation (keep in mind, I had a Tesla 5 years ago, so I'm familiar with early generation EVs!) but they really need to take this feedback and incorporate it OTA to current customers.

Configuration choices, and how I feel about them:
  • RaceTex (in Slate Gray) - love it. The only thing worse than fake leather in a hot car in Texas is real leather in a hot car in Texas. The RaceTex is perfect. I did get the matching steering wheel which is not so great - it's too slippery with dry hands. I'm hoping with some wear, this will improve.
  • Premium Package (panoramic roof, ionizer, ambient lighting) - love it.
  • Performance Battery Plus - no brainer IMO. I've been stuck on the far side of Houston (I live in Austin) waiting for my Tesla to supercharge. Get the biggest battery you can afford.
  • Seat heating and ventilation - good stuff. more efficient than dealing with the whole car.
  • Technology Package - pleased. Everything is good here.
  • Volcano Gray Metallic - looks nice.
  • Bose - perfectly fine.
  • Thermal and Noise Insulated glass - it's great. nice and quiet, no issues with phone reception.
  • 19" Taycan Aero Wheels - disappointed. They look a lot better on the website than in person. Wish I'd gotten prettier wheels.
  • 3 seat in the back. I have three kids (1 tween and 2 teens). Only got this as insurance if we all needed to go somewhere. I think there would be a lot of complaining!
  • Did not get:
    • active suspension - this was a huge oversight on my part. I tried to add it to my config, but was too late. It's fine without it, but I wish I had it.

The Good:
  • The Drive / Feel - look, the car is fun to drive. This was why I liked it in the first place. It's great fun to drive.
  • The look - it's a very nice looking car. I find the Panamera ugly, so I was impressed with how they made a good looking, four door car.
  • Quiet - Tesla, for some reason, can't get their cars to be quiet. Road noise, wind noise, whatever. I got the noise / thermally insulated windows. Very pleased.
  • HUD - this is one thing on the UI that they got right. It's a touch brighter than I'd like (even at -10 brightness), but most of the time, it's good.
  • The passenger screen - great! love it! let my passenger (read - daughter) can control the nav (when I tell her to) or the radio (which I tell her to leave alone). My only gripe about this is that it should not be forced off with no passenger. Let it be the secondary screen (sure, disable touch if you're concerned about safety). I'd love to glance over at it for the map while the primary is on radio (or vice versa).
The meh:
  • Porsche Innodrive - obviously not even close to Tesla autopilot, but about the same as my 2017 Audi Q7's TACC / lane awareness. I'd have thought 5 years of R&D would have done better than this. That said, I still consider this a must have - computers don't get tired or distracted, so on the (rare) long drives I do take, I want the computer looking ahead.

The Bad / recommendations for improvement (almost all of these are software, so they should be easy fixes!) (stop here if you're not interested in a rant!)
  • The rear camera - wow. amazingly bad. Dangerously so. But it can easily be fixed with software! the overhead view proves this! just transform the image, and all is well. Also, why does it only show the lines on the really bad view (what I call the "down" view)? the "straight out" view is so much better - put the lines on that!
  • PCM Bootup - this is excruciatingly slow. I can literally be a mile or two down the road, via slow residential streets, by the time everything is working. Bluetooth, XM Radio, navigation take forever. And uh, Ziel Suchen? more than half the time, this is why my nav screen shows.
  • The instrument panel - to be fair, this is the best screen in the car, after the passenger screen. Its use of space is generally good. My one complaint here is that this is a screen - why am I limited to a few controls in each location? Why can I not see the "power meter" except to replace the (beautiful!) map in the middle? Let me put this around one of the other circles that I don't care about anyway!
  • The console screen (in front of the cup holders) - this is a screen. Why am I forced to have the absolutely awful "handwriting" section taking up half of this screen? I'm left handed, so it's doubly useless to me. Let me put something else useful on here (an intuitive qwerty keyboard? Radio favorites?). I can't even turn it off, so if I accidentally touch it when trying to say, cool the car down, an invisible cursor zips around on my PCM doing random things!
  • The Radio - yesterday, my XM radio literally disappeared. I have a subscription. How does this even happen? my favorites were still there, I just couldn't use them! Also, while on the radio screen, let me see what I'm listening to, and my favorites on the same (default) screen. There's a reason evert car from the 70s to (most) today has a string of favorite radio buttons - because people like flicking around to their favorite stations!
  • The Alarm issue (well documented. not going to beat a dead horse. For me, it's a minor nuisance compared to some of the other issues)
  • Voice response - the only thing worse than how slow it is, is how poorly it understands (I'm a native US English speaker). And what's worse, they dedicate a button on the steering wheel to this!
  • My only real gripe about the layout of the car is that there is nowhere to put.. stuff. The box in the console is impossible to open and use with one hand. And the bit under the console is a challenge. Need somewhere convenient for a phone (not going to put it in the box and make it inaccessible, sorry), sunglasses, etc.
  • Homelink - it pops up on top of everything, and works maybe half the time. So I have a clicker in my fancy new car. At least make it go away when I drive away (maybe it does eventually, but certainly not before I want to do something else on the PCM).
  • PCM Data Entry - this is one of those things that is completely baffling to me. for my "safety", the (intuitive, for anyone born since 1970) QWERTY keyboard is disabled, and my only choices are the really bad voice response, or the even worse (and impossible for left handers like me!) handwriting thing. Come on! let me override this! I can literally type on a screen with my eyes closed. But when I say "Drive to Torchy's Tacos on 620" and it finds a dry cleaner in Chicago, it's really not useful!
  • Android Auto - bah. MY2021 doesn't have this. my 2017 Audi does. Was it really that hard to include? There are people who drive a Porsche and prefer Android! If they had this, my phone would be my main interface, instead of the car, so I probably wouldn't even know how bad these things are!
One of the reasons I'm posting this is so I would have somewhere to gripe about the PCM... so I may add more as I think about it. I would love it if Porsche read these - these are simple fixes that would make the car so much better with virtually no cost.
Sponsored

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd say you nailed the car pretty well with your description.

Draman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Most of the PCM issues (as well as the lack of android auto) can be fixed by buying something like an ApplePie Mini from Exploter. You still have the issue of the PCM being god awful and taking forever and then some for it to fully start, but you will then have android auto to avoid the rest of the terrible PCM issues

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Nailed it with this review.
I do not have one waiting on these things to be fixed.
However, I drove a 4S and RWD on multi-day test drives and experienced all of the above.
I am surprised you mentioned nothing about EA and Plug-n-Charge. I had to call EA while freezing trying to get the charging to work until they told me to start the charge on the app and then plug in quick - totally logical!

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
The Bad / recommendations for improvement (almost all of these are software, so they should be easy fixes!) (stop here if you're not interested in a rant!)
  • The rear camera - wow. amazingly bad. Dangerously so. But it can easily be fixed with software! the overhead view proves this! just transform the image, and all is well. Also, why does it only show the lines on the really bad view (what I call the "down" view)? the "straight out" view is so much better - put the lines on that!
  • PCM Bootup - this is excruciatingly slow. I can literally be a mile or two down the road, via slow residential streets, by the time everything is working. Bluetooth, XM Radio, navigation take forever. And uh, Ziel Suchen? more than half the time, this is why my nav screen shows.
  • The instrument panel - to be fair, this is the best screen in the car, after the passenger screen. Its use of space is generally good. My one complaint here is that this is a screen - why am I limited to a few controls in each location? Why can I not see the "power meter" except to replace the (beautiful!) map in the middle? Let me put this around one of the other circles that I don't care about anyway!
I can't even use the map because the only layout option when using the map is to have the speedometer near the top of the display. I have my steering wheel fairly low for arm comfort, and I'm 6', so the speed gets blocked by the top of the steering wheel if I have it in this config.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
One of the reasons I'm posting this is so I would have somewhere to gripe about the PCM... so I may add more as I think about it. I would love it if Porsche read these - these are simple fixes that would make the car so much better with virtually no cost.
I agree. If the PCM would make a more reliable connection to my iPhone, I'd be a happy camper. But as the PCM is today, I can't make a connection to CarPlay once every third time I drive. The errors are so obvious (ranging from 'No device connected' to CarPlay UI showing up but no audio coming out though the time line on the music moves) and random that I have no idea how a software manager would let this go to market. So when CarPaly doesn't work, I listen to FM radio. How's that for 2022!

I'm a pretty basic guy for features: give me music and navigation and I'm happy. I have never used a voice command or a written command.

I'm pretty good with almost everything else in the car (smartlift now works after resetting it to activate further down the street from my house). The heat is great (haven't been able to experience air conditioning yet), the sound is great (when CarPlay works), the seats are comfortable, the car drives like a dream (to me, rear axel steering makes a big difference in day to day driving) and I really like the Taycan regen (recoup). I charge at home once a week and get around 225 miles on a 100% charge in the winter. So I'm pretty happy.

But the PCM is not reliable.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
  • The console screen (in front of the cup holders) - this is a screen. Why am I forced to have the absolutely awful "handwriting" section taking up half of this screen? I'm left handed, so it's doubly useless to me.
Just move to a country where the steering wheel is on the correct side and hey-presto, it's not discrimination against us lefties.

OP
OP

atxtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Nailed it with this review.
I do not have one waiting on these things to be fixed.
However, I drove a 4S and RWD on multi-day test drives and experienced all of the above.
I am surprised you mentioned nothing about EA and Plug-n-Charge. I had to call EA while freezing trying to get the charging to work until they told me to start the charge on the app and then plug in quick - totally logical!
I charge at home, or use Chargepoint (free as part of my home charging setup), so I have not yet experienced EA.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I charge at home, or use Chargepoint (free as part of my home charging setup), so I have not yet experienced EA.
Last week I used an EA charger (150KW). It told me to plug into the car, I did, and it began charging with absolutely no need for my app or anything else.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
The software (I'm a software engineer by education) is appallingly bad. I find myself sitting in the car and crying "how did the Porsche engineers get this so wrong??"
Gonna fix this one thing for you…
"how did the Cariad engineers get this so wrong??"

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I agree. If the PCM would make a more reliable connection to my iPhone, I'd be a happy camper. But as the PCM is today, I can't make a connection to CarPlay once every third time I drive. The errors are so obvious (ranging from 'No device connected' to CarPlay UI showing up but no audio coming out though the time line on the music moves) and random that I have no idea how a software manager would let this go to market. So when CarPaly doesn't work, I listen to FM radio. How's that for 2022!

I'm a pretty basic guy for features: give me music and navigation and I'm happy. I have never used a voice command or a written command.

I'm pretty good with almost everything else in the car (smartlift now works after resetting it to activate further down the street from my house). The heat is great (haven't been able to experience air conditioning yet), the sound is great (when CarPlay works), the seats are comfortable, the car drives like a dream (to me, rear axel steering makes a big difference in day to day driving) and I really like the Taycan regen (recoup). I charge at home once a week and get around 225 miles on a 100% charge in the winter. So I'm pretty happy.

But the PCM is not reliable.
True, the PCM is not reliable and that is mildly irritating. However, if that is the sacrifice to make for an otherwise near-perfect ride, so be it….

OP
OP

atxtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
True, the PCM is not reliable and that is mildly irritating. However, if that is the sacrifice to make for an otherwise near-perfect ride, so be it….
This is more the kind of response I was expecting! Which is why I started my review saying that I'm not a car aficionado... If I didn't get this car, I wouldn't be looking at some other high performance car. I looked at the Audi etron SUV (not bad) and the Jaguar iPace (disappointing) and the newer model S. When I replace this car, I might go into a Rivian, or a polestar, or maybe a Ford f-150 lightening, or maybe a Mercedes EV.

For someone who loves cars and driving, I can see why the pcm issues are a "small price to pay", but for someone who just wants a reasonably nice electric vehicle, the overall experience is substantially deteriorated by the fact that using the radio (and everything else on the pcm) is worse than any decently equipped modern car.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is more the kind of response I was expecting! Which is why I started my review saying that I'm not a car aficionado... If I didn't get this car, I wouldn't be looking at some other high performance car. I looked at the Audi etron SUV (not bad) and the Jaguar iPace (disappointing) and the newer model S. When I replace this car, I might go into a Rivian, or a polestar, or maybe a Ford f-150 lightening, or maybe a Mercedes EV.

For someone who loves cars and driving, I can see why the pcm issues are a "small price to pay", but for someone who just wants a reasonably nice electric vehicle, the overall experience is substantially deteriorated by the fact that using the radio (and everything else on the pcm) is worse than any decently equipped modern car.
Fair comment.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
The PCM is more than mildly irritating, it's also dangerous. One damp morning the windows in my CT fogged up and the center and console screens blanked out just as I went to press the windshield defrost button. I had to pull off the road onto the shoulder until the screens decided to come back on.

.......When I replace this car, I might go into a Rivian, or a polestar, or maybe a Ford f-150 lightening, or maybe a Mercedes EV........
Deciding on a Taycan replacement is not a simple straightforward task. As much as I would like to trade-in my four-month old CT, I have not found an available EV that has the features that steered me to the Taycan in the first place. Given the current politically induced supply chain challenges and the wartime related component shortages it could be a couple of years before you find something worth considering. That may just give Porsche enough time to redeem itself.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The PCM is more than mildly irritating, it's also dangerous. One damp morning the windows in my CT fogged up and the center and console screens blanked out just as I went to press the windshield defrost button. I had to pull off the road onto the shoulder until the screens decided to come back on.

Deciding on a Taycan replacement is not a simple straightforward task. As much as I would like to trade-in my four-month old CT, I have not found an available EV that has the features that steered me to the Taycan in the first place. Given the current politically induced supply chain challenges and the wartime related component shortages it could be a couple of years before you find something worth considering. That may just give Porsche enough time to redeem itself.
I agree that such PCM malfunctions are scary. Since getting my 4S delivered in October 2020, I only experienced rather trivial malfunctions such as the internet radio taking several minutes before connecting, or the odd but transient nonsensical warning. Never total screens which blanked out during driving or the like. I guess I must have been lucky so far, but that is why I defined my PCM issues as mildly irritating.
Sponsored