DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Great review but no point in changing your calliper colour, you can't really see them with those aero wheels
I think you can actually see them pretty well when the wheels are in motion. I saw a Taycan drive by the other day with the same wheels and the red was very noticeable. For $800, seems worthwhile compared to most exterior options that are offered upfront or aftermarket.

My primary complaint is they would need the car for several days to do the upgrade, and I dont want to part with it right now.
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Wow I didn't know this, it was a long light, any way to disable this?
Put your foot on the brake. There's not setting in the PCM for this. Maybe there is something that can be coded with PIWIS.

williamo

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Macan S | 19 Range Rover | 22 Taycan (on order)
Country flag
Greetings!

After my first 1000 miles and a bit over a month with my MY22 RWD, I have zero regrets. Wanted to share a few thoughts, primarily on options:

RWD and PERFORMANCE: First and foremost, am I happy with the base model? Well I can say it is plenty fast for me. Sure the first 0-10mph is not mind blowing, but it otherwise is so darn quick in all other situations. The instant torque when accelerating once over 10mph is a blast. One thing I really like is you get to enjoy a brief period of acceleration before having to take your foot of the pedal or hitting the brakes. When I test drove the 4S, I was almost immediately having to brake in most situations.

I find it extremely fun to take fast turns and letting the car fishtail a bit. So controlled. So precise. Just an amazing driving experience.

Actually, one thing I don't like about the RWD is the boring black calipers. I may pay $800 to get them powder coated a different color.

GENTIAN BLUE: Beautiful color that has a lot of moods depending on lighting. Before I got PPF and Ceramic, I felt it showed dirt quite quickly. However, since having that applied, it seems more dirt resistant.

OLEA BLACK/ATACAMA: The interior was the option I most agonized over. I absolutely love this selection and am really glad I paid extra for this. I wanted beige to compliment the blue (good in Florida) but wanted a good balance and contrast with black. This is why I didn't opt for Limestone (too much beige for my taste). I love the feel of the interior. I agree with many comments on this forum that you spend most your time inside the car, so this is a worthwhile option.

PCM/SOFTWARE/INTERNAL SYSTEM: It sounds like it may be the MY22 figured it out. I have had virtually no issues. The setup of my accounts, garage door, etc. was a breeze. MyPorsche App works just fine for me (just takes a few seconds to update when launching). The ONLY issues I have had so far is that my Bose settings have been erased a few two times. Car alarm has gone off, but I just disable for now. Having some issues connecting to Android Auto but that is due to a bad port on my phone. When it works, it is nice. Can't wait for wireless Android Auto update, since it is hard to find a good wireless dongle in stock.

BOSE: Sounds pretty darn good to me. Never heard the high end upgrade to compare, but I have no complaints.

REAR AXLE STEERING: So far, this is one of my top features. I never had a car that was so nimble. Parking, three point turns, U-turns. Just ideal.

ADAPTIVE AIR SUSPENSION: Really nice to have the Lift function. I pretty much stay in lowered mode in most instances, but press the Lift button when needed. Love that it saves the GPS locations. Such a smooth ride. Going down a bumpy road in my wife's Highlander is actually rougher than the Taycan. Would never have guessed that.

PERFORMANCE BATTERY PLUS: So right now I am getting 245miles on a 85% charge and that keeps increasing the more I drive it. I only charge about once a week. So did I really need this? Not convinced yet. Probably not but might be nice to have in some rare occasions. Only time will tell, but I am not regretting that I got it and feel there is a noticeably quicker acceleration than the RWD I test drove.

ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL: Hmmm. This was a pretty darn expensive option that I have used rarely so far. Perhaps I will use it more. Right now, I often forget to turn it on. Of all the options, I am not sure this was worth it.

PANORAMIC ROOF: Can't imagine not having the Panoramic Roof. A bit bright sometimes with direct sun and you can't see the stars at night. But I love how it opens the car up.

20220209_142809.jpg

AMBIENT LIGHTING: Are you kidding me? This MAKES the interior of the car at night. So cool. I have them turned up to 100%. Love how the dynamic setting matches the album art and will actually create a color that you might not be able to select directly. I can't see how anyone wouldn't love this.

ELECTRIC SOUND: This has a big wow factor for any passenger I have taken out (or bystander). I actually find myself toggling it on/off (steering wheel button) quite a bit and will turn it on when driving around my neighborhood or crowded streets. I find it to be a bit of a safety feature as people can really hear you coming. Sure, it can sometimes be a bit annoying when just driving by yourself but it does help me understand how fast I am driving. One funny comment I often get when talking to someone on the phone is they can hear the sound very clearly. I get comments like "Are you in a spaceship right now?" Certainly glad I got it. Just fun.

MASSAGE SEATS: Another wow factor for passengers. Being able to say "Hey Porsche, massage the passenger" is priceless. I like it but don't use it for myself THAT much.

VOICE CONTROL: Speaking of voice control, I love this feature. It works fantastic when I am alone in the car. I use it for calling people, directions, changing XM stations, massage activation and changing ambient lighting. It doesn't work great however if someone else is in the car talking.

20220209_145903.jpg

As for Options I didn't get but agonized over:

SPORT CHRONO: I didn't want the clock on the dash and wanted to save a bit of $$. I have no regrets whatsoever not selecting this option. When I want sports mode, I just hit the sports button on the console and can toggle sports sound on the steering wheel. If I want a Sports Plus on Chassis, I just hit the button on the consult (but rarely feel the need to select that). It is as easy as that. Given that I have the RWD, I feel I am not missing anything by not having Sports Plus. The upgraded steering wheel might have been a bit nicer, but I frankly love the feel of the base steering wheel.

NOISE INSULATED GLASS: All I can say is the car is super quiet without this option. Almost every passenger comments on that. So can't compare.

ODDS AND ENDS:

- No issue with cell phone reception. Blutooth works great.
- Love the headlights and how they turn with the car.
- Love the displays. I have a microfiber cloth in the armrest that I need to use a lot though due to fingerprints.
- Built in navigation works terrific. Easy to understand guidance.
- Rear camera sucks! Overhead camera terrific.
- Walking up to car with side mirrors folding out and handles popping out. Such a neat experience. The car greets you like a friend.
- Had an issue with Electrify America not doing plug and charge. They told me this was an issue on their end.
- I didn't buy any of the charging upgrades like Mobile Charger Connect. Don't feel I am missing out. Charging is super easy.
- My sales agent at my dealership has been just awesome through this whole experience. Track Your Dreams was disappointing though.

That's all I can think of for now. I am one happy owner and find excuses to go driving.
Gorgeous Taycan - I have a very similar base Taycan spec coming in May (Gentian/Limestone with the same Turbo rims). Gentian really pops in the Florida sun so hoping will look good here in California too.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Wow I didn't know this, it was a long light, any way to disable this?
Only experienced it once in 18 months on a wait long for a pick up. Safety feature, I guess, with little impact. Never came across an option to switch this off. Is there really a traffic light where you don't move an inch for over 10 min?

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
I think you can actually see them pretty well when the wheels are in motion. I saw a Taycan drive by the other day with the same wheels and the red was very noticeable. For $800, seems worthwhile compared to most exterior options that are offered upfront or aftermarket.

My primary complaint is they would need the car for several days to do the upgrade, and I dont want to part with it right now.
Haha, funny how we all differ. I actually paid (got fleeced) to have my white ones painted black ?. Couldn't give a monkeys on calliper colour and wanted mine more stealth than shouty.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Nice write up. Agreed that Ambient lighting is a must have. Hope to see you around in SW Florida! Are you a PCA member?

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Haha, funny how we all differ. I actually paid (got fleeced) to have my white ones painted black ?. Couldn't give a monkeys on calliper colour and wanted mine more stealth than shouty.
Honestly, a big reason I would paint them is to make my teenager happy (and perhaps the teenager inside me)

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Nice write up. Agreed that Ambient lighting is a must have. Hope to see you around in SW Florida! Are you a PCA member?
I mean...come on. Just look how light matches album art. So cool....

Porsche Taycan First 1000 miles review - MY22 RWD 20220219_231815

Not a PCA member. Do you recommend it if I live in Sarasota?

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Honestly, a big reason I would paint them is to make my teenager happy (and perhaps the teenager inside me)
Its funny, I’m paying extra $ to get the big white brakes on a car that uses regeneration to stop.

It reminds of times when I used to laugh when I saw kids putting oversized (fat) rear wheels on their front wheel drive cars….

I wonder if I can program the Taycan augmented sound to sound like a fast and furious fart can

?

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
I mean...come on. Just look how light matches album art. So cool....

20220219_231815.jpg

Not a PCA member. Do you recommend it if I live in Sarasota?
Hopefully in the glass you had an excellent malt whisky ;)

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

Mazikeen

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Cayenne, '22 Taycan
Country flag
Great write up!! I agree with you...

I LOVE my RWD, have zero complaints or regrets and would absolutely purchase it again!! I've had it 55 days and now have 3400 miles on it. I took January off from work and was able to do a lot of driving around!

Like you I have had the ppt installed and it seems that dirt does not show up as easy. I like the way the color changes depending on the light. I have received many comments about that.

I didn't get the panoramic roof and don't miss it. I have that in my Cayenne and I have rarely even opened the sunscreen in the 8 years I've owned the SUV.

I didn't want the clock on the dash either but I wanted the dial on the steering wheel. In the end aesthetics won and I didn't get the sport chrono package. Don't miss it.

I have had issues with plug and charge also; didn't upgrade the mobile charger (no need to); rear camera is not the best but adequate.

Hoping you have many more thousands of happy driving miles!!
Sponsored