First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Greetings!

After my first 1000 miles and a bit over a month with my MY22 RWD, I have zero regrets. Wanted to share a few thoughts, primarily on options:

RWD and PERFORMANCE: First and foremost, am I happy with the base model? Well I can say it is plenty fast for me. Sure the first 0-10mph is not mind blowing, but it otherwise is so darn quick in all other situations. The instant torque when accelerating once over 10mph is a blast. One thing I really like is you get to enjoy a brief period of acceleration before having to take your foot of the pedal or hitting the brakes. When I test drove the 4S, I was almost immediately having to brake in most situations.

I find it extremely fun to take fast turns and letting the car fishtail a bit. So controlled. So precise. Just an amazing driving experience.

Actually, one thing I don't like about the RWD is the boring black calipers. I may pay $800 to get them powder coated a different color.

GENTIAN BLUE: Beautiful color that has a lot of moods depending on lighting. Before I got PPF and Ceramic, I felt it showed dirt quite quickly. However, since having that applied, it seems more dirt resistant.

OLEA BLACK/ATACAMA: The interior was the option I most agonized over. I absolutely love this selection and am really glad I paid extra for this. I wanted beige to compliment the blue (good in Florida) but wanted a good balance and contrast with black. This is why I didn't opt for Limestone (too much beige for my taste). I love the feel of the interior. I agree with many comments on this forum that you spend most your time inside the car, so this is a worthwhile option.

PCM/SOFTWARE/INTERNAL SYSTEM: It sounds like it may be the MY22 figured it out. I have had virtually no issues. The setup of my accounts, garage door, etc. was a breeze. MyPorsche App works just fine for me (just takes a few seconds to update when launching). The ONLY issues I have had so far is that my Bose settings have been erased a few two times. Car alarm has gone off, but I just disable for now. Having some issues connecting to Android Auto but that is due to a bad port on my phone. When it works, it is nice. Can't wait for wireless Android Auto update, since it is hard to find a good wireless dongle in stock.

BOSE: Sounds pretty darn good to me. Never heard the high end upgrade to compare, but I have no complaints.

REAR AXLE STEERING: So far, this is one of my top features. I never had a car that was so nimble. Parking, three point turns, U-turns. Just ideal.

ADAPTIVE AIR SUSPENSION: Really nice to have the Lift function. I pretty much stay in lowered mode in most instances, but press the Lift button when needed. Love that it saves the GPS locations. Such a smooth ride. Going down a bumpy road in my wife's Highlander is actually rougher than the Taycan. Would never have guessed that.

PERFORMANCE BATTERY PLUS: So right now I am getting 245miles on a 85% charge and that keeps increasing the more I drive it. I only charge about once a week. So did I really need this? Not convinced yet. Probably not but might be nice to have in some rare occasions. Only time will tell, but I am not regretting that I got it and feel there is a noticeably quicker acceleration than the RWD I test drove.

ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL: Hmmm. This was a pretty darn expensive option that I have used rarely so far. Perhaps I will use it more. Right now, I often forget to turn it on. Of all the options, I am not sure this was worth it.

PANORAMIC ROOF: Can't imagine not having the Panoramic Roof. A bit bright sometimes with direct sun and you can't see the stars at night. But I love how it opens the car up.

Porsche Taycan First 1000 miles review - MY22 RWD 20220209_142809

AMBIENT LIGHTING: Are you kidding me? This MAKES the interior of the car at night. So cool. I have them turned up to 100%. Love how the dynamic setting matches the album art and will actually create a color that you might not be able to select directly. I can't see how anyone wouldn't love this.

ELECTRIC SOUND: This has a big wow factor for any passenger I have taken out (or bystander). I actually find myself toggling it on/off (steering wheel button) quite a bit and will turn it on when driving around my neighborhood or crowded streets. I find it to be a bit of a safety feature as people can really hear you coming. Sure, it can sometimes be a bit annoying when just driving by yourself but it does help me understand how fast I am driving. One funny comment I often get when talking to someone on the phone is they can hear the sound very clearly. I get comments like "Are you in a spaceship right now?" Certainly glad I got it. Just fun.

MASSAGE SEATS: Another wow factor for passengers. Being able to say "Hey Porsche, massage the passenger" is priceless. I like it but don't use it for myself THAT much.

VOICE CONTROL: Speaking of voice control, I love this feature. It works fantastic when I am alone in the car. I use it for calling people, directions, changing XM stations, massage activation and changing ambient lighting. It doesn't work great however if someone else is in the car talking.

Porsche Taycan First 1000 miles review - MY22 RWD 20220209_145903

As for Options I didn't get but agonized over:

SPORT CHRONO: I didn't want the clock on the dash and wanted to save a bit of $$. I have no regrets whatsoever not selecting this option. When I want sports mode, I just hit the sports button on the console and can toggle sports sound on the steering wheel. If I want a Sports Plus on Chassis, I just hit the button on the consult (but rarely feel the need to select that). It is as easy as that. Given that I have the RWD, I feel I am not missing anything by not having Sports Plus. The upgraded steering wheel might have been a bit nicer, but I frankly love the feel of the base steering wheel.

NOISE INSULATED GLASS: All I can say is the car is super quiet without this option. Almost every passenger comments on that. So can't compare.

ODDS AND ENDS:

- No issue with cell phone reception. Blutooth works great.
- Love the headlights and how they turn with the car.
- Love the displays. I have a microfiber cloth in the armrest that I need to use a lot though due to fingerprints.
- Built in navigation works terrific. Easy to understand guidance.
- Rear camera sucks! Overhead camera terrific.
- Walking up to car with side mirrors folding out and handles popping out. Such a neat experience. The car greets you like a friend.
- Had an issue with Electrify America not doing plug and charge. They told me this was an issue on their end.
- I didn't buy any of the charging upgrades like Mobile Charger Connect. Don't feel I am missing out. Charging is super easy.
- My sales agent at my dealership has been just awesome through this whole experience. Track Your Dreams was disappointing though.

That's all I can think of for now. I am one happy owner and find excuses to go driving.

soul.electrified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 4S convertible, LX570, CT4 (pending)
Country flag
Awesome summary, congratulations! Your comparison to your wife's Highlander made me smile (same situation here) - please post a pic of the interior as well - thanks

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Great write up...... we have both very similar builds and have both had it about a month. I've piled up about 2500 miles due to my daily 80 mile round trip commute.
Only difference in build I see is I got Mission Es and PSCBs.
One thing I am a little dismayed with is the range I'm getting. I knew I wad taking a hit getting the Mission Es, but I'm only getting about 240 miles on 100%. I'm also driving with a pretty heavy right foot, so I guess I should complain. I was hoping to get about 265 on 100%, so maybe my heavy foot accounts for the rest.
I just programmed Homelink this morning, and to the diamond key on the instrument binnacle. No real issues either with PCM.
I'm also loving the Electric Sport Sound, have it on pretty much all the time. The air suspension is great too, lifting over driveways. I wish it would recognize saved locations a bit better, and work a little sooner and more quickly.
Performance is more than adequate. I certainly glad I didn't pay more for a 4S. Strangely I might have paid $11k more for PTS if I had to do it over again, but a think a RWD with RAS and PB+ is a sweet build. Sure if money was no object I'd be speccing a PTS GTS sedan, but wouldn't want to wait till summer or fall.
I also did front PPF and did ceramic myself- both money well spent. Just this morning I called the dealer back and bought the wheel and tire and dent protection insurance. I hate spending that kind of money on stuff like that, but the first time I kerb that Mission E, or roll over a nail it's really a no Brainer to buy it.
Very very little I'm not loving about the car.
People are rubber necking and commenting on it all the time- it's a gorgeous and unique looking car. I know some people are experiencing problems, but they are the minority. These things are more rolling software now, and it's not the mechanical components that are having problems.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Nice write up.

On the sport sound, the outside sound is present on all the cars, and it can't be toggled on or off (int he US it's a DOT requirement). The sport sound is what you hear inside and what you can toggle on/off.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The sport sound is what you hear inside and what you can toggle on/off.
I don’t have sport sound, but my understanding is that it does change the outside sound as well.

Porsche Taycan First 1000 miles review - MY22 RWD FDDB2780-3FEA-4ECC-809D-E6D7AC0F417D

Emokeff88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB+
Country flag
I love my 22 RWD. I have not experienced a single PCM issues. I questioned the sports Chrono package but I probably use it the most out of anything with the selector on the wheel. Air suspension is a must have if not for the looks alone. At 85% SOC Im showing 207 miles with the PB+ but I only have 400 miles on my car so good to hear it will continue to go up. The Bose is decent but I honestly think the B&O that was in my RS3 sounded better. ACC works perfectly and I use it more than I'd ever thought. Lastly, I'm so happy I got a chance to drive a RWD before I made a bad financial decision and splurged on a 4S. This car is more than quick enough for me in my high traffic area. I have never driven a Taycan without the PB+ so I can't compare the two.

I've only had one issue where the car silently went into park at a busy stoplight and took me a few seconds to figure it out.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
I don’t have sport sound, but my understanding is that it does change the outside sound as well.
Yes, but when it's off the car is still making a warning sound, that sounds like a space ship.

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I've only had one issue where the car silently went into park at a busy stoplight and took me a few seconds to figure it out.
Oh, that happened to me one time. Right when I first got it. Thought it may have been operator error. Hasnt happened since.

I also suspect I would use chrono knob a lot if I had it. But if you dont, you just use button instead.

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Actually, one thing I don't like about the RWD is the boring black calipers. I may pay $800 to get them powder coated a different color.
Great write up! also in a RWD about a month in. I actually for some reason always thought they were red! Its a sports car why would they not be red. I have the Aero 20s and the other day thought I would look at the calipers and was shocked that they were not red!!

One thing I am a little dismayed with is the range I'm getting. I knew I wad taking a hit getting the Mission Es, but I'm only getting about 240 miles on 100%. I'm also driving with a pretty heavy right foot, so I guess I should complain. I was hoping to get about 265 on 100%, so maybe my heavy foot accounts for the rest.
I have only charged to 100% once and got a 270 mile range. 1200 miles RWD with 20 inch Aero's though and maybe not as heavy footed as you.

Also never used the charger at home, always EA so not sure if charging everyday at home has any consequences on this.

Was recently driving on range mode with max at 75 miles (car does seem lifeless at 75 in range) but when I switched to sport - wow, the car came alive! would recommend doing this to see the difference.

The other reason is I love to have the rear spoiler deployed and have only really got it to deploy in range mode.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Some additional notes to what you wrote. (I like to share these points again because it took me quite some time to do enough research to find out.)
-The bigger battery does not add a significant amount of performance. You should take it if you need more range. Not for performance.
-The air suspension does not significantly improve the ride quality. You should take it if you like to change the ride height, not to improve the ride quality. And it is mostly an aesthetic choice, since the default height of the steel suspension is higher and good for normal use.
-The bose audio is a trade-off between audio quality and trunk space. Adding it reduces the trunk space more than the difference between the turismo and the sedan. To me the basic audio system is good enough.
-The sun roof is a must-have, if you want to use the middle seat (head room)

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
Greetings!

After my first 1000 miles and a bit over a month with my MY22 RWD, I have zero regrets. Wanted to share a few thoughts, primarily on options:

RWD and PERFORMANCE: First and foremost, am I happy with the base model? Well I can say it is plenty fast for me. Sure the first 0-10mph is not mind blowing, but it otherwise is so darn quick in all other situations. The instant torque when accelerating once over 10mph is a blast. One thing I really like is you get to enjoy a brief period of acceleration before having to take your foot of the pedal or hitting the brakes. When I test drove the 4S, I was almost immediately having to brake in most situations.

I find it extremely fun to take fast turns and letting the car fishtail a bit. So controlled. So precise. Just an amazing driving experience.

GENTIAN BLUE: Beautiful color that has a lot of moods depending on lighting. Before I got PPF and Ceramic, I felt it showed dirt quite quickly. However, since having that applied, it seems more dirt resistant.

OLEA BLACK/ATACAMA: The interior was the option I most agonized over. I absolutely love this selection and am really glad I paid extra for this. I wanted beige to compliment the blue (good in Florida) but wanted a good balance and contrast with black. This is why I didn't opt for Limestone (too much beige for my taste). I love the feel of the interior. I agree with many comments on this forum that you spend most your time inside the car, so this is a worthwhile option.

PCM/SOFTWARE/INTERNAL SYSTEM: It sounds like it may be the MY22 figured it out. I have had virtually no issues. The setup of my accounts, garage door, etc. was a breeze. MyPorsche App works just fine for me (just takes a few seconds to update when launching). The ONLY issues I have had so far is that my Bose settings have been erased a few two times. Car alarm has gone off, but I just disable for now. Having some issues connecting to Android Auto but that is due to a bad port on my phone. When it works, it is nice. Can't wait for wireless Android Auto update, since it is hard to find a good wireless dongle in stock.

BOSE: Sounds pretty darn good to me. Never heard the high end upgrade to compare, but I have no complaints.

REAR AXLE STEERING: So far, this is one of my top features. I never had a car that was so nimble. Parking, three point turns, U-turns. Just ideal.

ADAPTIVE AIR SUSPENSION: Really nice to have the Lift function. I pretty much stay in lowered mode in most instances, but press the Lift button when needed. Love that it saves the GPS locations. Such a smooth ride. Going down a bumpy road in my wife's Highlander is actually rougher than the Taycan. Would never have guessed that.

PERFORMANCE BATTERY PLUS: So right now I am getting 245miles on a 85% charge and that keeps increasing the more I drive it. I only charge about once a week. So did I really need this? Not convinced yet. Probably not but might be nice to have in some rare occasions. Only time will tell, but I am not regretting that I got it and feel there is a noticeably quicker acceleration than the RWD I test drove.

ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL: Hmmm. This was a pretty darn expensive option that I have used rarely so far. Perhaps I will use it more. Right now, I often forget to turn it on. Of all the options, I am not sure this was worth it.

PANORAMIC ROOF: Can't imagine not having the Panoramic Roof. A bit bright sometimes with direct sun and you can't see the stars at night. But I love how it opens the car up.

20220209_142809.jpg

AMBIENT LIGHTING: Are you kidding me? This MAKES the interior of the car at night. So cool. I have them turned up to 100%. Love how the dynamic setting matches the album art and will actually create a color that you might not be able to select directly. I can't see how anyone wouldn't love this.

ELECTRIC SOUND: This has a big wow factor for any passenger I have taken out (or bystander). I actually find myself toggling it on/off (steering wheel button) quite a bit and will turn it on when driving around my neighborhood or crowded streets. I find it to be a bit of a safety feature as people can really hear you coming. Sure, it can sometimes be a bit annoying when just driving by yourself but it does help me understand how fast I am driving. One funny comment I often get when talking to someone on the phone is they can hear the sound very clearly. I get comments like "Are you in a spaceship right now?" Certainly glad I got it. Just fun.

MASSAGE SEATS: Another wow factor for passengers. Being able to say "Hey Porsche, massage the passenger" is priceless. I like it but don't use it for myself THAT much.

VOICE CONTROL: Speaking of voice control, I love this feature. It works fantastic when I am alone in the car. I use it for calling people, directions, changing XM stations, massage activation and changing ambient lighting. It doesn't work great however if someone else is in the car talking.

20220209_145903.jpg

As for Options I didn't get but agonized over:

SPORT CHRONO: I didn't want the clock on the dash and wanted to save a bit of $$. I have no regrets whatsoever not selecting this option. When I want sports mode, I just hit the sports button on the console and can toggle sports sound on the steering wheel. If I want a Sports Plus on Chassis, I just hit the button on the consult (but rarely feel the need to select that). It is as easy as that. Given that I have the RWD, I feel I am not missing anything by not having Sports Plus. The upgraded steering wheel might have been a bit nicer, but I frankly love the feel of the base steering wheel.

NOISE INSULATED GLASS: All I can say is the car is super quiet without this option. Almost every passenger comments on that. So can't compare.

ODDS AND ENDS:

- No issue with cell phone reception. Blutooth works great.
- Love the headlights and how they turn with the car.
- Love the displays. I have a microfiber cloth in the armrest that I need to use a lot though due to fingerprints.
- Built in navigation works terrific. Easy to understand guidance.
- Rear camera sucks! Overhead camera terrific.
- Walking up to car with side mirrors folding out and handles popping out. Such a neat experience. The car greets you like a friend.
- Had an issue with Electrify America not doing plug and charge. They told me this was an issue on their end.
- I didn't buy any of the charging upgrades like Mobile Charger Connect. Don't feel I am missing out. Charging is super easy.
- My sales agent at my dealership has been just awesome through this whole experience. Track Your Dreams was disappointing though.

That's all I can think of for now. I am one happy owner and find excuses to go driving.
Great review but no point in changing your calliper colour, you can't really see them with those aero wheels

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
After 10 min in HOLD mode, the car automatically switches to PARK mode.

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Random question: For those who have it, how much did the dealer charge for the tire/wheel protection plan?
Sponsored