First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Summary

Dream-like effortlessness for car and driver. I’ve done more miles in the few weeks I’ve had it than my previous car did this year- the vast majority have been just for the fun of it, on country roads.

(My previous car was a Cayenne E-hybrid which has similar weight, length and width, hence I use it as my most recent point of comparison with the Taycan. It impressed me with its technical competence.)

General Driving Experience

Nice to be able to put my foot down without sounding like I’m trying too hard or feeling guilty for shattering the peace.

The real sound from the motors is plenty enough aural feedback for me- I wouldn’t want it to be artificially augmented.

Firmer ride than the Cayenne at corresponding suspension settings.

To my surprise, I’ve not noticed it shift gears.

Regen- I like the characteristic of the standard regen. Auto regen is impressive but this isn’t a car I bought to have less involvement in driving it (the same logic lead me to me pass on the ACC option).

Enthusiastic driving on country roads is returning around 2.9 miles/kWh. Mostly around…

Porsche Taycan First 3 weeks of ownership 105027edit

…Yorkshire Dales and the snappily titled North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (& UNESCO Global Geopark)
Where it’s nice to be able to drive enthusiastically without disturbing the naturally quiet environment (but needs additional care to avoid surprising all the sheep/cyclists/bikers on the roads).

PERFORMANCE

Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)

A big surprise. When I originally ordered a 4S I wasn’t interested in this option. The Turbo has it as standard but I still wasn’t interested until I felt it at work. The way it powers out of corners is stunning (most memorably right after an unexpectedly sharp crest). I’d now consider it for any power level of Taycan- recommended if you enjoy a playful rear end. (footnote- I need a safe environment to explore cornering behaviour at the limit, ideally Silverstone EC but they’ve advised they aren’t currently offering Taycans for anything other than the session included with each new vehicle order).

Air suspension with self-levelling and height adjustment incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)

Can’t match the Cayenne for smoothness, but has better feel of the road surface. I’ve made use of all the different ride heights and the lift option (I’m still fiddling with my few autolift to saved locations to try to get it to trigger more consistently. That said, “medium” height is clearing all but deeply rutted unmade roads). For driving on public roads I think cornering is impressively flat without needing PDCC.

Rear-Axle Steering including Power Steering Plus

Manages to U-turn in some places I didn’t think possible. In conjunction with PTV+, tight roundabouts can be fun. I’m finding that, unless I’ve bothered to line up perfectly with my garage before entry, it takes longer than my Cayenne did to reverse in because I’m not yet used to the steering behaviour.

Turbo-specifics

Stunning performance, feels effortless for car and driver (see also later section "Too much is not enough?").

Standing start without Launch Control isn’t noticeably slower in Sport+ (the speedo and my dashcam don’t update fast or frequently enough to measure accurately).

The accelerative potential combined with the quite coarse digital speedo make it challenging to take full advantage of (single carriageway) overtaking opportunities without briefly reaching unintended speed.

Can pull 1g in all directions along the vehicle’s latitudinal and longitudinal axes.

On familiar roads I’m now having to become more aware of small dips and crests that I hadn’t noticed previously as I hadn’t been up to the speed limit at that point.

COSMETIC

20-Inch Taycan Turbo design wheels

Look cheap close up (reminiscent of plastic wheel hub covers) but provide more gloss black contrast to the bodywork, and very easy to clean.

Panoramic roof, fixed

Love the airiness it brings to the cabin. In my driving position it runs ahead of me so I’m always aware of it, but have had no issue from that on sunny days even when I can see the sun through it. Much better than the windscreen at cutting heat transmission from the sun.

Exterior mirror lower trims painted in exterior colour, including mirror base painted in Black (high-gloss)

Quite prominent from within, so benefits from not having the default plastic base.

Door handles painted in black (high-gloss)

I like the high contrast with the body colour…but I’d overlooked that it makes them another fingerprint magnet.

Windscreen with grey top-tint

I’ve not noticed it (neither have I yet felt the need to use the visor).

2-Tone Black/Bordeaux Interior Leather

Happy that I kept the standard black accents as I didn’t want to introduce another colour to the 2-tone black/red cabin (because the Frozen Blue exterior visible from inside provides enough deviation from those colours).

Bordeaux Red seat belts

Relieved that they don’t overdo the red with the 2-tone leather- hadn’t previously seen the combo first hand.

Trim B-Pillars Race-Tex

I can see it’s getting brushed on entry/exit, will need to keep an eye out for signs of wear to test my assumption that it’ll show less than on the standard plastic trim.

Illuminated door sill guards in black brushed aluminium

The “Turbo” embossing on headrests is so shallow that it’s barely noticeable from outside, and the tailgate is debadged (though awaiting just “Taycan” to be added), but I wanted to let front passengers know what they are letting themselves in for, hence this option. The script of their plate is partly visible from the driver’s seat, but thankfully it only lights up on doors that are open.

FUNCTIONAL

14-way Comfort front seats

Very comfortable and supportive. Did a 4+ hour run (with just 2 brief stops) on my 3rd day of ownership, much less upright seating position than I was previously used to- no discomfort or stiffness on getting out. I’m still fine-tuning the steering wheel fore/aft position (it’s getting closer- I originally felt I was hanging off it at full throttle!).

Seat ventilation (front)

Most convenient and fastest way to get personally chilled.

ParkAssist including Surround View

All cameras are fine.

Lane Change Assist

Pricey, but spec’ed it as I came from a Cayenne that I felt needed it. My initial impression of the Taycan is that rearward visibility in the door mirrors is very good (due to the width tapering towards the tailgate) so assistance is less necessary.

Sport Chrono Package (standard on a Turbo) including compass display on the dashboard

Although higher in the eye-line than in a Cayenne, I don’t find it obtrusive.

4+1 Seats

Haven’t found that the rear centre headrest impedes rear vision.

BOSE® Surround Sound-System

It’s OK- I mainly have music for long boring journeys, but thankfully in the car’s honeymoon period I haven’t felt the need other than a quick check with various recordings.

Tracker Security Service

Spurious alerts if I stand beside the car with the transponder and the car isn’t locked or powered off inside (because the motors are powered up on entry but not switched off if either of the latter 2 actions taken).

DYSFUNCTIONAL

Centre console storage compartment

I’m not a bloody octopus! Virtually inaccessible to a driver due to the shape of lid and lack of latching open.

Displayed speed limit

Displays an incorrect speed limit quite often (never noticed that problem in the Cayenne so I guess it’s related to sign recognition rather than map data).

Excess speed warning- could do with an audible warning as well as the pulsing sign on the instrument panel.

Keyfob (virtually identical to the one for the Cayenne I had for 3 years with no issue)- accidental unattended opening of tailgate against garage internal wall (luckily stopped by my vertical strip of wood I’ve mounted to line up centred when reversing, otherwise would have scraped against rough blockwork), and separately of the doors and bonnet.

Overly cautious traction control unless in Sport+?

Hesitant delivering power immediately after sharp crests and humpback bridges, once significant traction should again be possible.

Too Much is Not Enough?

When I test drove a 4S last October, I was intimidated by its full-throttle acceleration (not just from a standing start), because it instantly made me feel unpleasantly odd in a way I can’t well describe, but it was enough to make me back off for fear of becoming less than 100% in control. When I did my Silverstone Experience in February, I’d ordered a Turbo (despite the 4S being more than enough in the acceleration department, I’d managed to upsell myself to the extent that I claimed it was a sensible decision) but I politely declined the opportunity to test its launch control potential.

I came from a Cayenne E-hybrid, which on paper isn’t that far off the 4S acceleration times (and is similar max power and weight), but I’d never experienced anything abnormal when launching it.

In just a few days’ driving my new Turbo, forcing myself to build up to launching it just to check it performs as claimed, I now only experience a hint of abnormality. The speed of my adjustment makes me think that the physical effects are minor (and remain undiminished), whereas the main sensation, now gone, was caused by psychological and/or physiological functions, for example the body feeling it was in free-fall in an unexpected direction, or the unfamiliar lack of noise to accompany the acceleration. Whatever, I suspect that staying relaxed, rather than tensing up in anticipation or reaction, has made a big difference.

I seem to have undergone a similar shift in perception of braking forces- a few times I’ve been surprised that the hazard warning lights have activated when I didn’t feel the deceleration would warrant that.

As I’ve got used to the car’s overall performance ability, I’ve become more relaxed while driving enthusiastically, and it doesn’t feel as dramatically quick- if I wasn’t timing it and seeing the world rushing towards me as fast as ever, I might even think that the car had become slower.

And finally…

Frozen blue metallic

Surprised at the overwhelmingly favourable unsolicited comments from people of all ages and levels of interest in cars. Combined with a red interior, opinion is divided even among people who love the blue, but it’s a classic ‘50s combo and was seen on the 356 (in Meissen blue). I chose it to match the exciting/fun character of the Taycan. The front occupants see enough of the wings to enjoy an interesting colour choice.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Great write up…. Enjoy your ride.
Cheers! Hopefully for yourself and our fellow forum members still waiting to take delivery, my feedback adds to the validation that your wait, though probably frustrating, can be well worth it. Hope you get yours sooner than expected.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Congrats on your new turbo. Glad you got to feel its full potential by launching it. I may try it on mine some day.

ASTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great read, thanks for sharing this!
I have recently pulled the trigger on a 4S FBM and I am having second thoughts about not speccing the following two options, I am wondering if you could expand on your experiences having tried both?

Rear Axle Steering: in your opinion how noticeable is it when finessing around in tight parking lots, and conversely what is your impression on how it impacts handling during enthusiastic driving?

Lane Change assist: I haven't read much about this feature. I haven't specced it on my build because I am pissed that Porsche is charging $$$ for an option that I feel should be standard on all cars produced after 2015. In your experience, do you think you would have been less confident about your blind spots without this option?

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Rear Axle Steering: in your opinion how noticeable is it when finessing around in tight parking lots, and conversely what is your impression on how it impacts handling during enthusiastic driving?
It's a definite benefit in slow, tight, manoeuvres, though I'm still not used to predicting the trajectory (despite the camera trajectory lines) so I'm having to make more corrections when parallel parking with kerb or when lining up through my single garage doors.
I'm sceptical about the stability benefit at high, but still legal, speeds.
I definitely feel it makes the car more agile in tight cornering, but I've not had the opportunity to compare it directly with an otherwise identical vehicle that doesn't have the feature. (EDIT- I should add that I have been able to directly compare Cayennes with and without this feature, and noted significantly better agility in tight cornering with it even before I was advised of the difference between the vehicle spec's. IIRC though, the Cayenne version has a broader turning arc for the rear wheels than does the Taycan.)

Lane Change assist: I haven't read much about this feature. I haven't specced it on my build because I am pissed that Porsche is charging $$$ for an option that I feel should be standard on all cars produced after 2015. In your experience, do you think you would have been less confident about your blind spots without this option?
I'm with you on that...in fact, it seems like the sort of safety feature that could soon be mandated by law, instead of being an expensive option. I'd say that the view in the mirrors is good enough to make this assistant unnecessary, though maybe one day it'll avert disaster if I slip up.

Last edited:

X-ray

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Tesla Model Y LR, Mercedes GLS580
Country flag
Great write up. I agree with all your assesments especially that rear wheel steering is awesome and the center console is a massive failure.

X

ASTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's a definite benefit in slow, tight, manoeuvres, though I'm still not used to predicting the trajectory (despite the camera trajectory lines) so I'm having to make more corrections when parallel parking with kerb or when lining up through my single garage doors.
I'm sceptical about the stability benefit at high, but still legal, speeds.
Thank you so much for your reply! I am definitely leaning towards adding RAS to my order before the lock-up.

Enjoy your beautiful car, I hope it will give you plenty of joyful km!

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
.... but I've not had the opportunity to compare it directly with an otherwise identical vehicle that doesn't have the feature.
I test drove 2 cars (RWD and a 4S; one with RAS and one without) on busy small town streets, small country lanes, some B roads and a dual carriageway.

I drove these cars back to back.

Although, I did notice the RAS feature at low speeds, did not really notice it at higher speeds.

Even at low speeds, I did not really miss the RAS in my back to back testing.

One of the reasons may be is that I currently drive a BMW 5 series and also drive a long wheel base 7 series. So maybe, I am used to driving a long car and do not really struggle with managing that on UK roads.
The Taycan without the RAS seemed to be manoeuvre better than both the 5 and 7 - so I did not really feel the 'absolute need' for RAS.
Maybe, I only tested it for a short while.... hence did not see its 'true potential'.

Admittedly, I did not test parking in small places.
But then I am used to parking the 5 and 7 (so am comfortable with long/wide cars).
Also, I think the reverse/ surround cameras on the BMWs are way ahead of the Taycan - so that may be responsible for my comfort in parking and manoeuvring wide/long cars.

I was very concerned about RAS prior to ordering; hence test drove back to back (to make an informed decision) - and then made a decision not to order RAS.

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I test drove 2 cars (RWD and a 4S; one with RAS and one without) ...
Which one had RAS? There's reportedly quite a difference in handling characteristics between the RWD and AWD Taycans, which might make it more difficult to assess the contribution of RAS in isolation.

I did not really feel the 'absolute need' for RAS.
I concur- it's a fine car even without RAS. Personally, for my use case of preferred driving style and conditions, I feel the option is reasonable value (as much as anything can be in the world of Porsche pricing😁).

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was very concerned about RAS prior to ordering; hence test drove back to back (to make an informed decision) - and then made a decision not to order RAS.
Thanks for this assessment. I too am coming to the Taycan from a 5 series and have been having second thoughts about not speccing RAS (based on how beloved the feature seems to be on this forum). The turning circle on the Taycan is smaller than the 5 series, and to me the BMW has always felt nimble enough so I couldn’t justify the price increase.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Which one had RAS? There's reportedly quite a difference in handling characteristics between the RWD and AWD Taycans, which might make it more difficult to assess the contribution of RAS in isolation.

I concur- it's a fine car even without RAS. Personally, for my use case of preferred driving style and conditions, I feel the option is reasonable value (as much as anything can be in the world of Porsche pricing😁).
It was the 4S that had the RAS... and to be honest, it was the RWD version (without the RAS) that felt more nimble.

Take this (felt more nimble) with a pinch of salt - just my feeling.
The test drives were only for an hour each - so only a limited time on a limited set of roads. I did drive both cars on the same roads though.

I personally liked the RWD (for its driving characteristics), but missed the oomph of the 4S - hence went for the 4S.
(the incremental price differential for the 4S on the salary sacrifice scheme was small).

If one can afford RAS, why not !

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for this assessment. I too am coming to the Taycan from a 5 series and have been having second thoughts about not speccing RAS (based on how beloved the feature seems to be on this forum). The turning circle on the Taycan is smaller than the 5 series, and to me the BMW has always felt nimble enough so I couldn’t justify the price increase.
Agree... the Taycan felt more nimble than my F10 series 535; so it was an easy decision on the RAS.
As you rightly state, I have never struggled with the turning radius in my 5 - so I was happy without the RAS on the Taycan order.

If one can afford any add-ons (not just the RAS), then absolutely have it !

My 535 was a fully loaded new order build with almost every extra option available at the time (other than individual colour), and I still cherish the add-ons that I got.

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
It was the 4S that had the RAS... and to be honest, it was the RWD version (without the RAS) that felt more nimble.

Take this (felt more nimble) with a pinch of salt - just my feeling.
I've not tried the RWD, but your perception is in line with most road test reports of it, which attribute it to lower weight and better handling balance than the 2 motor variants. Notable that you felt it still had that advantage without RAS when compared with the 4S with RAS.
Sponsored