First cold snap of the year...just watch that range tumble!

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Finally enjoy your Porsche. This car is not about consumption but drive.
Focusing on this, maybe your car is Tesla.
If you are concentrating on consumption from the beginning of your drive your car will never generate heat in the system. Electric cars should push hard first to warm up (opposite of ICE cars).
Personally I will rarely use Eco in my Porsche when arrived. Only in the case if I am in danger to get to the next charger on longer trips. On short trips who cares, rather enjoy the unique dynamics.
I am an experienced owner (12+ months in the Taycan) so the reduction in range is not unexpected.

Point of the post was simply to highlight that winter is here and our range will drop significantly.

In respect of warming up a battery - difficult to do in heavy snow / freezing rain etc when on the road...safety comes to mind but I know what you mean.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
On shorter trips maybe not, but on highway trips when the system generates heat the heat pump is able to use it to heat the cabin.
On the other hand heat pump looses its efficiency at lower temperatures. it is most effective in the range of 10-20C. Below -5C no effect at all, since no usable heat in the system.
That makes more sense - so I was in 1C territory and below at the weekend (even now).

I'm off to Edinburgh this week (126 miles) so I'll see how the range pans out and more importantly the RANGE mode handles it.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
For those of us who live in colder climbs watch out for the big range hit when you get to 2 deg C (35F) and below.

I managed a poor 1.8 miles / kWh (normally 3.0) this weekend - snow - on a distance of 32 miles. At SOC 85% I had 204 miles range, pre-heated the car to 22C (whilst on the PMCC), set off, AC 23C (ECO mode), heated seats & wheel on, max 60 - 65 mph, range mode engaged for most of the journey, final SOC around 145 miles (can't remember exactly).

If it weren't for the PB+ I would be getting really anxious as to how quickly the energy runs out and setting AC off isn't really an option (window demisting).

Are others seeing similar range degradation (I assume so)?

Here's hoping Porsche are keeping up with Mercedes (???kW battery, new tech), Lucid (114kW battery), others with real world range of 500+ miles in the near future.
On snow wheel resistance increasing dramatically, this could be the main reason. Additionally continuous wheel slip also does not help.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I didn't capture it but it was chilly - I think 12C to 13C, which clearly isn't ideal either.

I did preheat the car whilst connected to the PMCC so it had some attempt to heat before departure.
Also getting massive hits to range at the moment, but really depends on battery temp. PB+. Outward journey of 60 miles recently after heating the battery to 24C used up 26% of the battery. Coming back the next day, the battery was only at 14C, and the return leg (in otherwise similar conditions - ambient temp of approx 2-4C) used up 31% of the battery. A short 5 mile journey through London (which took about an hour!) the other day used up 5% of the battery. Those short journeys are absolute killers. I reckon even at 2C you could squeeze 220-240 miles out of the car, but it would have to be all in one go. If you are taking multiple journeys, your overall range is hammered as the car and battery have to get heated up every time.

In relation to the heat pump, I believe that the configurator information is just saying that the heat pump has a positive effect on range compared to not having a heat pump and only speccing the regular a/c - i.e. the heat pump version helps efficiency as compared to a car air conditioning system not based upon heat pump tech. When I switch the air con off completely, I also get a large jump in estimated range, but as with Winge, the windows very quickly get fogged up in this weather.

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
On snow wheel resistance increasing dramatically, this could be the main reason. Additionally continuous wheel slip also does not help.
I realise that too but not the reason - road was not covered in snow (surface was black).

The bottom line (I think) is a cold battery and AC heating.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I realise that too but not the reason - road was not covered in snow (surface was black).

The bottom line (I think) is a cold battery and AC heating.
OK, I misunderstood this: "I managed a poor 1.8 miles / kWh (normally 3.0) this weekend - snow - on a distance of 32 miles"

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a Range Calculator on EU/UK websites by models and wheels to see bearing temperature per heat pump on/off added with AC ECO/AC ON/OFF combinations seeing (hopefully) objective effects.
According to this OP HAS RIGHT, at any temperature AC OFF is the most effective way independently if the car has heat pump or not.

I really overrated the heat pump. Maybe should take off from my config saving some cash.
It is interesting to see how marginal the impact of it.

Last edited:

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
No Range degradation as such however in -2 this morning my PCM was doing all sorts of weird things - for starters the setting for only the settings screen was in german but everything else was in English :D

• Wow

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
The ambient temperature dropped from about 20C to about 5C over the last three weeks and my range dropped by about 15%. Based on my experience last winter, I expect a 25% drop (vs summer) when daytime temperatures start to drop well below freezing.

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
There is a Range Calculator on EU/UK websites by models and wheels to see bearing temperature per heat pump on/off added with AC ECO/AC ON/OFF combinations seeing (hopefully) objective effects.
According to this OP HAS RIGHT, at any temperature AC OFF is the most effective way independently if the car has heat pump or not.

I really overrated the heat pump. maybe should take off from my config saving some cash.
It is interesting to see how marginal the impact of it.
We have no option but to take it.

Apparently it does offer advantages (and was added to Teslas and other brands as it is more efficient to heat with than without - perhaps targeted at colder climates) but is temperature dependent itself. I'm no engineer but I guess to get things working in the most efficient way a certain amount of energy is needed to get the various components to temp before any harvesting etc can take effect. In colder temps this becomes a greater challenge as the starting position is generally a colder battery.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We have no option but to take it.

Apparently it does offer advantages (and was added to Teslas and other brands as it is more efficient to heat with than without - perhaps targeted at colder climates) but is temperature dependent itself. I'm no engineer but I guess to get things working in the most efficient way a certain amount of energy is needed to get the various components to temp before any harvesting etc can take effect. In colder temps this becomes a greater challenge as the starting position is generally a colder battery.
Probably, but with switched off AC it is OFF as well. Wintertime, (when frosting is not a case) I would keep AC OFF (according to that what I learn from this topic) so no role.
Saving 2-4 miles with it will never get back the EUR900 (it is individually configurable in my country) investment and the range is extended marginally, but only with AC ON, that drops range significantly.

In Tesla case it is added for free...

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Probably, but with switched off AC it is OFF as well. Wintertime, (when frosting is not a case) I would keep AC OFF (according to that what I learn from this topic) so no role.
Saving 2-4 miles with it will never get back the EUR900 (it is individually configurable in my country) investment and the range is extended marginally, but only with AC ON, that drops range significantly.

In Tesla case it is added for free...
On the NA configurator, the heat pump is listed as standard equipment on my 2022 4s.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
It was cold here overnight (-5) and I needed to make a trip this morning.
Trip data for that trip was 43.9 kw/h 100ml, while my average from new in August (3000 miles) is 33.8 kw/h 100 ml.

Also noticed that the rear door handle is stuck in the out position even though the door locks and unlocks. Hoping it's frozen and starts working again when it warms up.....?!?
You can push it in (with a bit of effort manually) and it will pop open on 'unlock' but won't retract back in on 'lock' (which doesn't sound like it's frozen).

• Wow