First cold snap of the year...just watch that range tumble!

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
I wonder what the rationale was for including it as standard equipment in NA but not in the EU?
Porsche NA squeezes out a lot from the producer, as a big and strong market.
EU (divided to 27 independent states) has no packages, less standard equipment etc. And higher net prices in general.
It results NA the least profitable market to Porsche, that is generally good for the buyers (more value for money).
It just hits back now a bit, as the producer prioritizes higher margin markets so NA receive very limited number of cars with the reason of the limited producing capacity (semiconductor issues).
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I wonder what the rationale was for including it as standard equipment in NA but not in the EU?
It will be country specific - 44 countries in Europe, 28 of them are in EU, UK had a brain freeze and decided it was a good idea to Brexit and so aren't within EU (sadly). So many of the EU countries will likely have the heat pump as std but not all.

Hungry can be quite warm (much warmer than UK) but also quite cold - I guess its fair enough to have it an option providing the reason to option or not is well explained.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I would just add that I notice that defrost crushes my range. If I go light on defrost, my range typically goes from ~300 miles in the summer to 225-250 miles if the weather is around 32F and down to ~200 miles if the temperature drops to 10F or lower. If I hammer the defrost, range will go below 200 miles especially if it is really cold out.

I have a 4S with the larger battery and 20" Pirelli snow tires.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Thanks guys. Ok, will keep it. To the full price it is a kind of nuts.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
On winters 20" , car mostly in normal and occasionally in range, 0-5 C, I do 25-27 kwh/100 km. (so 3.7-4 km or 2.3-2.5 miles per kw) but only on longer trips.

Having fun in similar conditions means for me 35-39 kwh/100 km (2.5-2.8 km or 1.55-1.7 miles per kw).

observed lately over a total 2k km

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
It was cold here overnight (-5) and I needed to make a trip this morning.
Trip data for that trip was 43.9 kw/h 100ml, while my average from new in August (3000 miles) is 33.8 kw/h 100 ml.

Also noticed that the rear door handle is stuck in the out position even though the door locks and unlocks. Hoping it's frozen and starts working again when it warms up.....?!?
You can push it in (with a bit of effort manually) and it will pop open on 'unlock' but won't retract back in on 'lock' (which doesn't sound like it's frozen).
We'll have -5 tonight... so I'll report about my drive tomorrow morning.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
We'll have -5 tonight... so I'll report about my drive tomorrow morning.
Will you have it pre heat and charge completed at a time when you leave? Observe the battery temperature when you start and see if it raises during the trip, please.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Will you have it pre heat and charge completed at a time when you leave? Observe the battery temperature when you start and see if it raises during the trip, please.
It’s already charged to 70% (since yesterday, when i had just a short drive.)

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Porsche NA squeezes out a lot from the producer, as a big and strong market.
EU (divided to 27 independent states) has no packages, less standard equipment etc. And higher net prices in general.
It results NA the least profitable market to Porsche, that is generally good for the buyers (more value for money).
It just hits back now a bit, as the producer prioritizes higher margin markets so NA receive very limited number of cars with the reason of the limited producing capacity (semiconductor issues).
May be true, indeed...

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
For those of us who live in colder climbs watch out for the big range hit when you get to 2 deg C (35F) and below.

I managed a poor 1.8 miles / kWh (normally 3.0) this weekend - snow - on a distance of 32 miles. At SOC 85% I had 204 miles range, pre-heated the car to 22C (whilst on the PMCC), set off, AC 23C (ECO mode), heated seats & wheel on, max 60 - 65 mph, range mode engaged for most of the journey, final SOC around 145 miles (can't remember exactly).

If it weren't for the PB+ I would be getting really anxious as to how quickly the energy runs out and setting AC off isn't really an option (window demisting).

Are others seeing similar range degradation (I assume so)?

Here's hoping Porsche are keeping up with Mercedes (???kW battery, new tech), Lucid (114kW battery), others with real world range of 500+ miles in the near future.
Showing 2.8 miles per KWH right now after todays 50 mile round trip i.e. today, it was zero when I left home and about 3 degrees. Heated seats and Steering wheel on, temp at 27 degrees in car and fan on pretty high on feet as it was freezing and I like toasty feet when driving! Drove in normal mode as range reduces the heating. In reality I would get around 200 miles in this weather and 250 ish in Summer so a 20% difference but that's fine

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
May be true, indeed...
Not aware of anything standard on US spec cars that isn't in Europe, other than those bright orange indicators and a boot / trunk opening beep?

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
When the temperatures drop the car needs to be plugged in overnight to get some heat into the battery. Witness some YouTube videos from Winnipeg where winter temps are -20C/-4F for months on end with frequent drops to -40C/-40F. The cold weather in Minnesota has to come from somewhere.

When battery temperatures drop, the internal resistance goes up and output drops. And it gets hard to charge the battery. When its really cold, charge when the battery is warm or spend a looo..ooong time charging when its cold. Or move to Florida. (bit of hyperbole)

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
My last charge was a record low 211 miles. Best high was 281. Pretty scary !

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
When the temperatures drop the car needs to be plugged in overnight to get some heat into the battery. Witness some YouTube videos from Winnipeg where winter temps are -20C/-4F for months on end with frequent drops to -40C/-40F. The cold weather in Minnesota has to come from somewhere.

When battery temperatures drop, the internal resistance goes up and output drops. And it gets hard to charge the battery. When its really cold, charge when the battery is warm or spend a looo..ooong time charging when its cold. Or move to Florida. (bit of hyperbole)
Are you saying that I have to plugin for overnight, and set slow charging?

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I had a similar story. Car fully frozen (always outside). Hit pre-heat from my phone, unfortunately that failed to work so had to resort to warm water over the screen. Everything on to heat us up. Journey of around 30 miles, some 20% of battery used and it will be back on charge tonight. It’s a good job we don’t do long journeys very often. . . . .
Sponsored