First cold snap of the year...just watch that range tumble!

Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
I've seen my range drop by 10-15% since it has gotten what passes for cold here in North Texas which is between 5-10 C. On a recent run to Houston and back, I saw my highest consumption figure of 2.4 miles per KWh but it was cold and I was running at Texas interstate speeds (allegedly 80+). My estimated range used to show as 255 miles on an 85% charge, its now at around 200 miles.
Sponsored

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Do you? I am in UK and I don't
Yes - only when I do the foot wiggle to close the trunk. No beep on button push to open, close, lock or via the key fob - just the wiggle.

I suspect all cars have it but at PDI it may have been enabled with various other country specific settings either in error or per procedure.

I'd rather it didn't beep!

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Interesting. Left my car outside for 2 weeks in the cold and it only lost 2km of range. This is miraculous compared with the old Tesla X. Drive yesterday to Geneva and back in temps from 1 - 3 degrees centigrade and consumption was about 10% down on usual

Porsche Taycan First cold snap of the year...just watch that range tumble! 37BE9CC9-FFFF-4F52-AA4D-04D5779545D5

• Wow
Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
22.3kwh/100km with average speed 79km/h???
Wow, that's amazing. :clap:

Yan355

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 GTS, Cayenne, Audi A7
Country flag
Yep same here seen around a 10% drop from a max of 208 in range at 95% now around 188miles at 1-5deg C

Running the 21 CT alloys and off road kit.

Hopefully the increased range software in the GTS will eventually be farmed out to the rest of us.

In the meantime will just have to manage ??

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Not aware of anything standard on US spec cars that isn't in Europe, other than those bright orange indicators and a boot / trunk opening beep?
glass roof?
Maybe not on all models though.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
22.3kwh/100km with average speed 79km/h???
Wow, that's amazing. :clap:
Mainly driving at 120 or 100 according to Swiss Highway limits but average reduces due to a couple of slow Km’s getting from/to highway to office and a damn tight multi story car park that I crawl round ?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Thx - I have a long drive tomorrow and will start with 100% SOC so I'll try and capture all telemetry for that. It's got warmer here 6C - 9C.
Am I the only one who gets the impression - from reading range accounts on this forum - that the typical Taycan's range in the UK seems lower than in the US, without an obvious culprit? If there would be some truth to it, what could be the reason? Humidity? Low-octane electricity?

Last edited:

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Am I the only one who gets the impression - from reading range accounts on this forum - that the typical Taycan's range in the UK seems lower than in the US, without an obvious culprit? If there would be some truth to it, what could be the reason? Humidity? I doubt it would be the average weight of driver and passengers...
Maybe better roads for coasting, less hills, etc... means more effective recuperation...?
(maybe we should make a poll about weight of drivers & passengers :giggle: )

On the other hand... see @Swissbob ... there are hills for sure, and his consumption is almost ideal...
I'm easy driver, according to my coworkers, I'm driving too slow, but I couldn't get even close to his numbers...

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Maybe better roads for coasting, less hills, etc... means more effective recuperation...?

On the other hand... see @Swissbob ... there are hills for sure, and his consumption is almost ideal...
I'm easy driver, according to my coworkers, I'm driving too slow, but I couldn't get even close to his numbers...
Or maybe the smoothness of the road surface. The difference in road noise when arriving from France through the Tunnel to UK roads is staggering. So rough roads, more noise and less range!

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag

That’s a very well maintained stretch of Swiss highway and pretty flat as it runs along Lac Léman (aka Lake Geneva)

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

The name "Swissbob" alone suggests this image of a superfast bobsleigh swishing down the track without any effort...

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Am I the only one who gets the impression - from reading range accounts on this forum - that the typical Taycan's range in the UK seems lower than in the US, without an obvious culprit? If there would be some truth to it, what could be the reason? Humidity? Low-octane electricity?
Its an obvious and unsurprising one really - temperate climate versus much warmer ones. Climates with mid 20's (and higher) all year long will get significantly more range as this forum bears testament to (340 miles in Florida is the highest I've seen compared to a UK best of 60 miles less than this in the summer months). Cold batteries versus our regular warm one will also take their toll. So in summary, ambient temperature and battery temperature are key.

What's less clear is that as soon as you start with something like 340 miles @ 100% SOC, what happens when you power on and have AC cooling - how much and how quickly does that 340 become 320 / lower and before you know it that enviable headline range becomes something quite different?

I think US folk based in New York, Chicago and essentially 'North' will experience similar ranges to UK / Northern Europe.
Sponsored

Last edited: