First cold snap of the year...just watch that range tumble!

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Here is a plot of distance vs temperature I did earlier this year for a series of tests using a MY20 4S with 20 inch tires year at different temperatures under range mode showing the shape of the distance curve. The course for each test was the same and the speed was targeted at 71.5 mph under cruise control.

I may fatten the curve up as temperatures get colder or try it on some of the other drive modes. I think all the Taycans are pretty similar under similar conditions. Differences of a few per cent age points are more likely the result of slight changes in test conditions than fundamental differences between the cars.

The straight line between points is probably a pretty good approximation though it's probably a gentle curve between points. Maximum range comes around 70F at just above 300 miles which Porsche says is the optimum temperature for the car. I put the EPA and WLPT figures for the Taycan on the chart. Clearly WLPT is a better metric than EPA. There might be more current estimates than the ones I used

Range vs Temperature.jpeg
Perfect - this is pretty accurate from what I've experienced at these temps!

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just completed the return journey from Edinburgh to Aberdeen and noted some interesting things compared to the same journey in reverse.

SOC (100%), same route, similar temps +/- 2 degrees.

PIRM suggested I took RANGE mode (which I did, previously took NORMAL) - 2 mins quicker (same route (!) - 39% SOC at end, Auto Max Speed 90 mph set (my standard setting is 70mph but overridden by PIRM) and Air Con had "no limitations" (again controlled by PIRM).

So I drove home in RANGE mode, AC at 22C (standard mode) and arrived home with SOC 40%. First time I've noticed the AC not being limited to ECO / ECO PLUS when in RANGE mode.

Cruise set to 70mph and noticed that when I had braked (to stop) and then pressed Resume that both front and rear motors (rather than just the front) were providing about equal drive (car was still in RANGE mode) until cruise speed was reached.

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
Went to Birmingham yesterday with my family to watch football.
Drove on Range mode both ways & covered over 225 miles. Average E Consumption was 3.1 ml/kWh. Just before joining M1 had to stop for about 40 minutes as there was an overturned car on M6. Total time in the car 5.03 hours.
Had 12% left with 34 mile range.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Went to Birmingham yesterday with my family to watch football.
Drove on Range mode both ways & covered over 225 miles. Average E Consumption was 3.1 ml/kWh. Just before joining M1 had to stop for about 40 minutes as there was an overturned car on M6. Total time in the car 5.03 hours.
Had 12% left with 34 mile range.
That’s interesting! Did you loose a lot of battery charge during the 40 minutes wait? That would possibly worry me getting stuck in a traffic jam with a low SOC.

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
Good to know. And this was around freezing temperatures?
Highly recommend to pre condition the car before departure for an hour. If possible with home charger as that will help with extra mileage.
Thanks.

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Interesting. Left my car outside for 2 weeks in the cold and it only lost 2km of range. This is miraculous compared with the old Tesla X. Drive yesterday to Geneva and back in temps from 1 - 3 degrees centigrade and consumption was about 10% down on usual

37BE9CC9-FFFF-4F52-AA4D-04D5779545D5.jpeg
Did you drive in Range mode?

last two days, I was playing with Range…found out that I like ECO AC as well.
also, my consumption went down a lot….the same routes, same driving conditions and same average speed (between 60-65km/h) from 26-28kwh/100 km, down to 22 kwh/100km (outside temp between 0 and +3).
On sunny but cold Saturday (+2)i’ve been on highway (over 240km), avg.speed 80+, consumption about 28 kwh/100km in Normal mode, then 25kwh/100km in Range.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
Perfect - this is pretty accurate from what I've experienced at these temps!
Great chart. I would echo that I see almost exactly these figures with my 4S with 20" wheels.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Here is a plot of distance vs temperature I did earlier this year for a series of tests using a MY20 4S with 20 inch tires year at different temperatures under range mode showing the shape of the distance curve. The course for each test was the same and the speed was targeted at 71.5 mph under cruise control.

I may fatten the curve up as temperatures get colder or try it on some of the other drive modes. I think all the Taycans are pretty similar under similar conditions. Differences of a few per cent age points are more likely the result of slight changes in test conditions than fundamental differences between the cars.

The straight line between points is probably a pretty good approximation though it's probably a gentle curve between points. Maximum range comes around 70F at just above 300 miles which Porsche says is the optimum temperature for the car. I put the EPA and WLPT figures for the Taycan on the chart. Clearly WLPT is a better metric than EPA. There might be more current estimates than the ones I used

Range vs Temperature.jpeg
Splendidly documented! Thanks.