DANgerous

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Edit: Updated with pics (looks like any other white Taycan from the outside so just included some internal pics which might be of interest to those configuring leather)

Hi all, after ordering in March I finally took delivery of my MY21 RWD Taycan! Here are my first impressions. I’m aware that some of these things are just down to me not yet sussing everything out, but maybe people can help out where necessary. All opinions are my own.

Spec: Carrera White RWD, 20” Turbo Wheels, Burmester, Bordeaux Red full leather with contrasting red stitching (it’s a brighter red on the red leather, and contrasting against the black), race tex roof liner, panoramic roof, 14 way seats with heat/ventilation, surround view, steel springs, 22kW on board charger, electric charger port, sport chrono, passenger display, sport sound, storage package, retracting mirrors, ambient lighting, 4 zone climate control. + mats, ”frunk” and boot liner, junior car seat, seat protector (to go under car seat), seat protector (to go on the back of driver/passenger seat), PMCC.

Overall: I’m over the moon right now. Never owned a Porsche before. Lifetime level purchase.

* Feels amazing to drive. Plenty of oomph when I need it, great handling.
* Looks amazing, obviously.
* The full leather interior is really nice, so much nicer than the one I test drove which must have been standard (which I thought was fine at the time)
* Interior quality is exceptional. The screens really make the car look modern and high tech.
* The Turbo Wheels look I lot better than I thought they would from the configurator/pictures. I couldn’t afford the ones I really wanted but having seen the Turbo wheels in the flesh, I’m happy.
* Got two keys and was expecting one.
* Passenger display looks cool as I am sitting here with some music on.
* Burmester sound quality is absolutely superb.
* Door handles popping out, electric charging port, comfort access (minus steering column) are nice modern touches.
* Ambient lighting is really nice.
* Surround parking is useful for parking in tight spaces. Looks a bit weird with the fisheye camera, but serves its purpose.
* I can’t tell the difference between the steel springs and the air suspension that was in my test drive car. Happy days.
* Google Maps on CarPlay seems better than the stock navigation app.
* Charging worked first time on my home charger with PMCC.
* I love the sport sound!
* Boot (trunk) gesture to open it is great. I’ve had 100% success rate.
* Touch screens are nice, haptic feedback is nice where implemented.
* 14 way adjustable seats comfy, very adjustable as one would expect.

Dislikes:
* Two keys, but apparently each one is not tied to a particular driver. My 11 year old Audi Q5 had this feature and was great because I am much taller than my other half. So it will be annoying for us to have to press the 1 or 2 memory buttons. Please someone tell me I’m mistaken!
* CarPlay is a bit meh. Never used it before. It was a pain to get it working the first time. Haven’t played with it much though, to be fair.
* No wireless CarPlay for IOS? I see online that it’s possible, but I can’t figure out how to use it.
* Need to use CarPlay for high audio quality (Tidal/Apple Music) and for decent navigation.
* Tidal app on CarPlay. How do you actually search for any music? I seem to be able to select only things I’ve put in my playlist before, which isn’t a lot because I only recently subscribed. Am I being dim?
* To use CarPlay I’ve had to plug in a USB-C to Lightning cable (which I had to buy today, come on Porsche - include it!). Plugging in under the arm rest… great if you want to keep the phone inside and keep it plugged in. But I want it out of there (I need it to get in/out of car parks) and don’t want to have to keep plugging/unplugging it. I managed to sneak the cable out of the side and closed the armrest lid, but it’s not great!
* Related to above, no great place to put a phone other than in the cup holders.
* Passenger display doesn’t seem very useful as many have stated. But it does look cool.
* No physical controls for air vents. Wouldn’t want to try adjusting these while driving. This is a design error in my opinion.
* Panoramic roof doesn’t open. Looks nice though from in and out.
* No electric steering column due to chip shortage. I realise others are much worse off than me here so can’t complain too much.
* Not many controls for Burmester audio. Not that I think they’re really needed (probably why they’re not there), but I would have thought such a high end system would have a lot of controls / snazzy displays, but instead there are only a few options.
* Storage package? Come on…
* Got an electrical fault error on the first time I turned the car on. Off/on didn’t clear it although there seemed to be no impact to driving. I stopped for coffee, when I came back and turned the car on the error cleared. Phew…
* Had to buy floor mats. Not thrown in.
* Double the price of my home market (UK) in HK due to eye-watering tax. Could have got a Turbo S and a couple of small cars back home for the price… (I’m still happy)
* I have to go to work tomorrow instead of driving it all day long.

I’ll update again after a decent spell of ownership and we’ll see where my opinion and/or knowledge has changed.
Porsche Taycan First impressions after day 1 of ownership 05D5BEC3-40CF-4F43-88C5-2F382881CA5E
Porsche Taycan First impressions after day 1 of ownership DC51BD45-AE0B-4CAC-9F6E-ED97045C6909
Porsche Taycan First impressions after day 1 of ownership 216B797A-981B-48DA-B6EA-D5AE39407DF6
Porsche Taycan First impressions after day 1 of ownership 27B9A577-E70E-45E8-A591-F15598417C9E
Porsche Taycan First impressions after day 1 of ownership 8B062146-58BC-40D1-AE54-C31A0AF4B48C

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Congrats! White/red owner as well. I would love to see your deviated stitching - never seen red with red. Wireless carplay works well for me. You have to go into the DEVICES menu to activate (once your phone is paired) and after that it should connect everytime. The good to know app and/or owners manual will help.
Porsche Taycan First impressions after day 1 of ownership PPF & ceramic

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag
Glad to hear you're enjoying the car!

Dislikes:
* Two keys, but apparently each one is not tied to a particular driver. My 11 year old Audi Q5 had this feature and was great because I am much taller than my other half. So it will be annoying for us to have to press the 1 or 2 memory buttons. Please someone tell me I’m mistaken!
* CarPlay is a bit meh. Never used it before. It was a pain to get it working the first time. Haven’t played with it much though, to be fair.
* No wireless CarPlay for IOS? I see online that it’s possible, but I can’t figure out how to use it.
The Good to Know app in the App Store has some guidance on using multiple-key fobs. You can assign key fobs to Porsche profiles in the PCM. Check the app out for the details.

Wireless CarPlay requires pairing with the cable. But once paired, you should be able to select the phone in the PCM and it will connect wirelessly.

OP
OP

DANgerous

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Love you guys. Thanks for the tips, can’t wait to iron out these issues of mine!

Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, Audi TT, BMW 5
Country flag
Glad to hear you're enjoying the car!

The Good to Know app in the App Store has some guidance on using multiple-key fobs. You can assign key fobs to Porsche profiles in the PCM. Check the app out for the details.

Wireless CarPlay requires pairing with the cable. But once paired, you should be able to select the phone in the PCM and it will connect wirelessly.
I'm afraid both of them are not available in Hong Kong's market (not sure about those later stocks).

OP
OP

DANgerous

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I'm afraid both of them are not available in Hong Kong's market (not sure about those later stocks).
Oh no, for the key assignment are you saying that’s not available in HK or just the “good to know” app? Presumably I can just download the app from the US app store?

Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, Audi TT, BMW 5
Country flag
Oh no, for the key assignment are you saying that’s not available in HK or just the “good to know” app? Presumably I can just download the app from the US app store?
Key assignment is not available in HK.

OP
OP

DANgerous

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Key assignment is not available in HK.
That's devastating that it's available elsewhere but not in HK. I can't imagine why it isn't available. I wonder if there is any way around it?

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
That's devastating that it's available elsewhere but not in HK. I can't imagine why it isn't available. I wonder if there is any way around it?
I think you just need to register another user account with Porsche. Then use each key when logged into each account. you should then have settings saved for each key as individual users. That’s what I needed to do so my wife’s key saved her seat/mirror settings separate to mine.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
Wireless CarPlay uses wifi, so I believe you need to have it enabled in the car before it will work. On my car wifi was disabled by default. If I remember correctly, you enable it by going to the devices page, then the "..." in the bottom corner, and there should be an option somewhere in there. You only need to turn on wifi, not the wifi hotspot or anything else.

With wireless CarPlay my phone rarely leaves my pocket (nor my wife's her purse), so phone storage is less important. But on those occasions that I need to take it out, I generally put it under the climate control display. It slides around a little, but not too bad. Maybe don't leave it there on a track day, but for normal driving it's fine.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
congrats on the nice trim.
- you can change the fisheye view when reversing with a rear view with less fisheye . just press the icon at the very left of display (in the black sidebar, lower third) to switch between fisheye and the other one.
- agree on Google maps but one way to pre-condition your battery for fast charging is to input a fast charging station into the PCM navi and drive there using that navi (not google)
- Both Tidal and Apple Music do not allow for searching within CarPlay. you need to use your phone (kind of defeating the purpose of safe driving...)
- I use a cupholder phone holder (fine for me but others might find it ugly)
- passenger display has a limited sub set of features. you can turn it on also when driving without a passenger (search around here for the trick). I like it to show "media" and use central display for CarPlay

* Surround parking is useful for parking in tight spaces. Looks a bit weird with the fisheye camera, but serves its purpose.

* Google Maps on CarPlay seems better than the stock navigation app.

Dislikes:

* Need to use CarPlay for high audio quality (Tidal/Apple Music) and for decent navigation.
* Tidal app on CarPlay. How do you actually search for any music? I seem to be able to select only things I’ve put in my playlist before, which isn’t a lot because I only recently subscribed. Am I being dim?

* Related to above, no great place to put a phone other than in the cup holders.
* Passenger display doesn’t seem very useful as many have stated. But it does look cool.

Last edited:

Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
Congrats on the new car! I thought the air vent adjustment being screen only would be a major pain but as it turns out I adjusted them once and have left them alone since then. All the options for the instrument cluster seem daunting at first but I've found the learning curve to be a rewarding part of the ownership experience.
Sponsored