f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I ended up dropping the Bose sound system option on my CT 4S when I fixed the spec because of the extra delay it would cause.

There has been lots of comment on the audio varying from the standard system is so bad it is a reason not to buy the car to it is perfectly adequate.

I haven’t been on a long journey yet but my first impression is good.

It has clear diction and none of the “chesty” colouration common on systems with exaggerated bass.

It probably lacks the top audio octave from 10kHz to 20kHz but that would be normal given directionality and drive unit location but there are only overtones up there.

The biggest thing I noticed compared to the Bose demo was the paucity of adjustments, basically just bass/treble and forward/lateral balance - no computed surround mode.

That is fine by me, but maybe some people would find that a deal breaker.

I have not decided whether it goes loud enough and only DAB radio source so far - I haven’t found where in the menus one may choose anything else yet…

So sound wise it is uncoloured and fine IMO, I will add to this thread when I get more experience with a wider range of source material.
Sponsored

Sand dancer

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 996 turbo S, Taycan Spt Tur due Jan '23
Country flag
I ended up dropping the Bose sound system option on my CT 4S when I fixed the spec because of the extra delay it would cause.
There has been lots of comment on the audio varying from the standard system is so bad it is a reason not to buy the car to it is perfectly adequate.

I haven’t been on a long journey yet but my first impression is good.
It has clear diction and none of the “chesty” colouration common on systems with exaggerated bass.
It probably lacks the top audio octave from 10kHz to 20kHz but that would be normal given directionality and drive unit location but there are only overtones up there.

The biggest thing I noticed compared to the Bose demo was the paucity of adjustments, basically just bass/treble and forward/lateral balance - no computed surround mode.
That is fine by me, but maybe some people would find that a deal breaker.

I have not decided whether it goes loud enough and only DAB radio source so far - I haven’t found where in the menus one may choose anything else yet…

So sound wise it is uncoloured and fine IMO, I will add to this thread when I get more experience with a wider range of source material.
Thanks for the report. I took the same decision for my RWD ST (delivery due early Jan ‘23) after I specifically test drove a CT with the standard system.

I’ve driven some god-awful cars in all kinds of terrain with varying specs of sound systems and the only one that stands out as being poor for me was in my Renault 18 GTL back in 1989 🤣

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I also have the base audio system. Did not want the Bose because it reduces the size of the trunk. (the part under the floor).
The base audio system is not bad, but I think you clearly hear it is incomplete. It lacks volume in the lower frequencies.
I installed a 3rd party under seat subwoofer to add more power in the low frequencies without losing space. It is installed under the passenger seat.
It works well now. It confirmed my feeling that the quality is good but it just misses an extra low frequency speaker.

SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan on order
Country flag
I also have the base audio system. Did not want the Bose because it reduces the size of the trunk. (the part under the floor).
The base audio system is not bad, but I think you clearly hear it is incomplete. It lacks volume in the lower frequencies.
I installed a 3rd party under seat subwoofer to add more power in the low frequencies without losing space. It is installed under the passenger seat.
It works well now. It confirmed my feeling that the quality is good but it just misses an extra low frequency speaker.
Hi Ben, any chance you could share with us what you installed?

I see from your profile you have a Tesla, how does the Taycan base audio compare to the Tesla? I have an M3P with premium audio and that is more than adequate for my needs.

Thanks

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Hi Ben, any chance you could share with us what you installed?

I see from your profile you have a Tesla, how does the Taycan base audio compare to the Tesla? I have an M3P with premium audio and that is more than adequate for my needs.

Thanks
I forgot the exact type. But it is 7cm high. And about 20cmx30cm long. I assume all these solutions are very similar. It is called an "under seat active sub woofer". You just have to make sure it has a high power input (to take the signal from the other speakers. Else you have to find an audio out on the mediasystem. Which I did not find easy access too)
I've put the cables under the passenger floor carpet into the center console. Connected it in parallel to the audio cables of coming out of the mediasystem going to the other speakers. And took 12V from the fuse box (and adding an extra fuse for safety).
If you know basic electronic, it was not that difficult to do. Some other people also did it.

The audio system in the Tesla was better, but it is not fair to compare it. It was the top-end audio system vs the base system of the Taycan.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I’ve driven some god-awful cars in all kinds of terrain with varying specs of sound systems and the only one that stands out as being poor for me was in my Renault 18 GTL back in 1989 🤣
Probably didn't matter what you had if you were listening to the Radio 1 on MW back then.
😂

And if your cassette would play 'metal' tapes.

Sand dancer

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 996 turbo S, Taycan Spt Tur due Jan '23
Country flag
Probably didn't matter what you had if you were listening to the Radio 1 on MW back then.
😂

And if your cassette would play 'metal' tapes.
Bang on, and by metal tapes I hope you mean Motörhead etc rather than Ferrous Oxides 😉

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
No sub and no power to really drive music. Sounds better than an old am radio, but I found that it lacked any depth to it, so it sounded tinny to me. Over time the base system in my 911 just wore on me.

Howie

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS STCayenne 992GT3 Ferrari488spider 993C2
Country flag
Not happy with the audio in my GTS ST compared to my Cayenne, both are standard factory issue but the Cayenne has a much richer tone and depth of bass.

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
so it sounded tinny to me.
The standard system in my Taycan certainly isn’t tinny. It lacks “air and sparkle” due to the location of the speaker drivers but no more than I expect, one needs the Burmester system to get high tweeters pointing at the passengers but then the distance between high and mid drivers makes proper crossover integration impossible, I presume they use digital signal processing to mask it.

It doesn’t have the overblown bass of so many car systems which make male speech chesty.

It is pretty natural sounding as car systems go IME.

I haven’t tried Hot Rats at high volume yet though…

I am about to put some Christine McVie on my home stereo.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
It would be interesting to do a cross forum test by picking a common audio file and means for playing it (e.g., use same song through apple play, Spotify, or whatever) connected to the car in the same way and then playing at an agreed upon volume. Then we could record the playback using an agreed upon means (e.g., take a video using iPhone) and post it. Not perfect by any means but may be interesting to hear the same music played through the same means for connecting on base, Bose and Burmeister, and of course recorded the same way. We could agree to record while sitting the phone on the center console with microphone facing forward (or whatever means people agree on). Then, everyone could post their clips here to see differences. I know it is not perfect, but frustrating that lack of supply makes it very difficult to compare real life differences between option levels.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
It would be interesting to do a cross forum test by picking a common audio file and means for playing it (e.g., use same song through apple play, Spotify, or whatever) connected to the car in the same way and then playing at an agreed upon volume. Then we could record the playback using an agreed upon means (e.g., take a video using iPhone) and post it. Not perfect by any means but may be interesting to hear the same music played through the same means for connecting on base, Bose and Burmeister, and of course recorded the same way. We could agree to record while sitting the phone on the center console with microphone facing forward (or whatever means people agree on). Then, everyone could post their clips here to see differences. I know it is not perfect, but frustrating that lack of supply makes it very difficult to compare real life differences between option levels.
But then you have the issue of sound and speaker quality of the device you are listening from + the quality of the initial recording in the first place.

Ultimately, the only way you will know is by sitting in the car and listening.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
But then you have the issue of sound and speaker quality of the device you are listening from + the quality of the initial recording in the first place.

Ultimately, the only way you will know is by sitting in the car and listening.
Yes, I know that it will not be perfect, and what you are hearing will not be the same as sitting in the actual vehicle . . . BUT . . . you should still hopefully be able to hear differences between the various option levels.

Last edited:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I haven’t tried Hot Rats at high volume yet though…
Woah! Your previous mentions of musical preferences had not prepared me for that.
Hoping you avoided the 1980s reissue with his jarring modern replacement of the original drums and bass tracks- no audio system could make that one sound good.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61