jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
Is the sub trunk a lot bigger when you get the standard audio system ?
Sponsored

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
FWIW, I have the Bose system in my CT4 and I would rate it a solid "meh". My wife's Mini costs nearly 70% less than the CT4 and its optional Harman Kardon is in a different league altogether.

So I fully follow your choice of getting your Taycan sooner and cheaper with the standard audio, especially as the Bose would have only netted you a "meh" instead of "good enough"

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
FWIW, I have the Bose system in my CT4 and I would rate it a solid "meh". My wife's Mini costs nearly 70% less than the CT4 and its optional Harman Kardon is in a different league altogether.
I agree. We just purchased a 2023 Mini Cooper SE Iconic and the HK audio is noticeably better than the Bose in our CT4. I was quite surprised when the Motoring Advisor turned the audio on..

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I haven’t tried Hot Rats at high volume yet though…

I am about to put some Christine McVie on my home stereo.
If I may, I’d suggest some Dutch metal, like Within Temptation (amazing soprano)…or, British band The Renaissance (Annie Haslam, voice of an angel).

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Woah! Your previous mentions of musical preferences had not prepared me for that.
Hoping you avoided the 1980s reissue with his jarring modern replacement of the original drums and bass tracks- no audio system could make that one sound good.
I bought the LP when it was released and an early CD before they screwed up the sound with a re-mix.
I havve broad taste really but listen 80% to classical works, big and small.

I put PJ Harvey on whilst I was looking into defining a charging profile and it was actually pretty good without any particular exaggeration of any frequency band.

I was prepared to be disappointed by the standard audio but it is more to my taste than some “up-market” boom generators I have heard.

One of my friends designs loudspeaker drive units for a lot of clients and one thing his company does is voicing sound installations for big clients.

He was hired by one of the high end audio companies whose brand name is used for car audio installations and ended up with something he was very proud of only to find clients of the upmarket car were often very young footballers who were used to a boom box in a Corsa and were unimpressed.

He ended up “ruining” the SQ to please the car's customers he said.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
FWIW, I have the Bose system in my CT4 and I would rate it a solid "meh".
Agree. Until you listen to it side by side with the base stereo.

Honestly, I think all of the Porsche sound systems are unwhelming. IMO, the base stereo shouldn’t be an option; BOSE should be standard; and Burmester should be a $2k option.

NuJerzPorsche

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

Honestly, I think all of the Porsche sound systems are unwhelming. IMO, the base stereo shouldn’t be an option; BOSE should be standard; and Burmester should be a $2k option.
this is perfect. I’m still surprised that Burmester system is that much and I’m surprised there’s even a “base” audio in a car of this price.

Reactions: B61

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Yes, I know that it will not be perfect, and what you are hearing will not be the same as sitting in the actual vehicle . . . BUT . . . you should still hopefully be able to hear differences between the various option levels.
I doubt whether you would tell any difference with an iPhone microphone - the microphone recording this would probably be the limiting factor. This would only work with decent quality audio recording equipment. Nice idea though.

Finbo

First Name
Finlay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I don’t rate Bose and not paying for Burmester so will stick with basic. It’s poor on bass, I feel Dire Straits Money for Nothing is a good single to see if there’s any bass on a stereo. Have a Sonos in kitchen and it hammers the Taycan in a big open space

it is what it is, Radio 5 Live and Podcasts as said is my car listening so happy with basic

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I doubt whether you would tell any difference with an iPhone microphone - the microphone recording this would probably be the limiting factor. This would only work with decent quality audio recording equipment. Nice idea though.
Open to anything. I have a Blue Yeti (https://www.bluemic.com/en-us/products/yeti-x/) and could use that with my computer and whatever app/program would be best. Obviously, the highest quality intake and recording means (that are widely available) would be best. It would just be nice to eliminate as many variables as possible to get three audio files. Playback would be entirely in the hands of the listener, but if the intake were identical for all three systems, it would be interesting to see if you could perceive any differences.

Ultimately it doesn't matter as I have mine with Burmeister and wouldn't change it even if it's not "worth" it financially. FWIW, I like the Burmeister. Is it overpriced? Sure. Does the sound quality exceed my needs for an automobile? Absolutely. Best stock auto system I have ever had (appreciating that no stock systems can compete with even mid-level home setups).

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag

In a 150k+ car , the Burmester should be stock

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
OK, I have done more listening.
The basic sound system has a clean even frequency response (for a car system) with low colouration (for a car system).

What it doesn't have is a multitude of features.
No graphic equaliser.
No surround sound computation.

I am not sure if I will find it goes loud enough at speed on the motorway, so I'll report on that later.

What I like most is the even frequency response giving good voice reproduction, no chestiness or "bass" boom - bass in cars is rarely actual low frequency because of physics and often exaggerated frequency response in the bass harmonics region to give the impression of bass (a well tried and effective technique in small volume speakers) which makes male speech sound like everybody has a cold.

In the absence of a computed surround, except when there is extreme stereo separation, most of the sound seems to come from the speaker nearest to your seat. This is exactly as would be expected from the physics and the fundamental limit to accurate audio in a car IME.

To get a spacious impression in a car a lot of manipulation to the sound is needed, it may sound nice, it ain't accurate but something along those lines is part of getting car audio to be pleasing, and as the multitude of opinions about various installations and various cars attest it is a matter of taste which works best for you.
Sponsored

Last edited: