First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Hi Frank

Your car looks lovely, glad you’re enjoying so far.

Porsche Wolverhampton have recently upgraded two units to 320kw, and if you didn’t know the OPC is on the roundabout of the M54 junction.

Be careful, the entrance to the OPC is literally just to the left of the road to get back onto the M54 and easy to confuse.
Thanks for that!

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Was the driver a straight swap? I may do this.
Please tag me also.. very interested.
Was a straight swap but that's the sub in my Panamera, haven't got the Taycan yet but most likely its the same driver, only the sub housing is different, just check it in the trunk.

Any 8" driver should fit, mine is a RF P3SD4-8 wired for 2ohms that took me two hours to install. With this the bass is strong and refined, not boomy anymore. If you like less bass get the 4ohm version.

The other thing I replaced was the center speaker, it sounds really bad because its louder and low quality driver. Didn't want to bother with adapters and I ordered the Burmester speaker because is a straight swap.

I can say the lows now sound as good as the Burmester subwoofer in a friend's Panamera and overall it sounds better.

I think that's the issue with Bose sound system, its just boomy and lacks deep bass.

For those who are not happy with the standard audio its pretty easy to add an amp and replace the speakers, just find a reputable shop to do it.

Andy0565

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IPace
Country flag
Whatever you’re listening to should enhance your driving experience. If you want to enhance your listening experience, get yourself the best hifi equipment you can afford, some great headphones and a comfy chair. Press play and close your eyes.

obviously not something you should do in a car!

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I also have the base audio system. Did not want the Bose because it reduces the size of the trunk. (the part under the floor).
The base audio system is not bad, but I think you clearly hear it is incomplete. It lacks volume in the lower frequencies.
I installed a 3rd party under seat subwoofer to add more power in the low frequencies without losing space. It is installed under the passenger seat.
It works well now. It confirmed my feeling that the quality is good but it just misses an extra low frequency speaker.
Shoot a picture to see how the shallow sub looks like.
Did you amp it or how are you powering it?

gtr_skyline

First Name
Prashan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo (on order)
Country flag
Good to read this thread and hear the base system isn't too bad. Received a quote from my trusted Car AV contact - it consists of new 3 way Audison speakers, including 8" woofers in the doors! The doors are fully sound proofed allowing the 8" woofer to produce really impressive bass.

The system is driven fully actively from an Audison 5 channel amplifier. £2200 and can be removed easily (car is a company car, etc).

P

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Shoot a picture to see how the shallow sub looks like.
Did you amp it or how are you powering it?
It is an active subwoofer. Powered via 12V connection to the fuse box in the passenger foot area.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Bose actually make excellent lifestyle products and the sound is generally above average. I have heard quite a few of their products over the years and i have always been impressed. Recently i tried various soundbars and the Bose 700 was the clear winner of the ones i tried and kept.
I don’t actually get the Bose hate, as someone who is heavily invested in audio from dj’ing in my younger years and now a huge home cinema fan i find the products generally very good for their intended purpose.
I agree 100% on the home/portable audio stuff, but for some reason it doesn’t always translate well into a car interior IMO. At home I have a mix of Klipsch, B&W, Sonos, Sony, JBL, and Bose around the house, office and garage. My Bose stuff is the clear #2 behind the Klipsch.

Love the Bose at home, but in the Taycan it’s pretty meh. Definitely gets boomy and loses clarity when you drive it hard, unlike the home stuff I have.

Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
Picked my car up yesterday. I haven’t really had much time to play with it, on first impressions it doesn’t seem as good as Bose in my Macan but holy cow the car is amazing 🤩
Not sure how to quote @Archimedes I have the Klipsch Thx Ultra 2 set in my cinema room and with the right amps they are stunning.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
how do you feed audio in it? I mean how you input the sound into it?

can you shoot a picture?
I did the same as Jasper in the audio cabling topic. Based on the info provided by tigerbalm:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/audio-cabling.10907/post-158252

You can get access to the cabling by removing the plastic covers on the middle side of the driver foot area. Then you can feel the audio cables. Using the images in the link above you can determine which cables are for the audio. You can connect the subwoofer signal input in parallel to one of the audio cables. And route the cable under the passenger carpets.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
That is fine by me, but maybe some people would find that a deal breaker.

So sound wise it is uncoloured and fine IMO, I will add to this thread when I get more experience with a wider range of source material.
Deal breaker - BOSE is it unless buyer springs for Burmester.
Side note; FINE = Freaked out, Insecure, Neurotic, Emotional.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I also have the base audio system. Did not want the Bose because it reduces the size of the trunk. (the part under the floor).
The base audio system is not bad, but I think you clearly hear it is incomplete. It lacks volume in the lower frequencies.
I installed a 3rd party under seat subwoofer to add more power in the low frequencies without losing space. It is installed under the passenger seat.
It works well now. It confirmed my feeling that the quality is good but it just misses an extra low frequency speaker.
which underseat subwoofer did you go with?

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
Exactly. Hate is a bit strong for me, but I avoid Bose at home. I find the delivery to be a bit bright and clinical. Personal taste though.
Yeah, hate is a bit of a strong word. But I have had a couple of Harmon Kardon products just break the same week the warranty expired and it's also happened to friends.

My dislike of Bose started when friends "upgraded" to their Satellite-Subwoofer system, and I thought they sounded bad. Compared to the ATC speakers I liked at the time it was night and day.
But really took hold when I was involved with sound systems and playing music out (DJing, live playing) - if there was Bose involved I knew it was going to sound pretty damn bad and nobody cared about the sound system. If it was Turbosound (or now something like Funktion One, Meyer, Martin Audio) it was a good start. The only product I have heard from Bose that I thought was good for its purpose was the noise cancelling Quiet Comfort headphone, they are good on a flight. But so much is marketing with Bose.

But the Bose in the Taycan is just about good enough that I am fine with it - does the job.

Bose actually make excellent lifestyle products and the sound is generally above average. I have heard quite a few of their products over the years and i have always been impressed. Recently i tried various soundbars and the Bose 700 was the clear winner of the ones i tried and kept.
I don’t actually get the Bose hate, as someone who is heavily invested in audio from dj’ing in my younger years and now a huge home cinema fan i find the products generally very good for their intended purpose.
I have my cinema that I personally built for a point of reference.
Edit, are the Bose drivers in the Taycan actually different to the base system? It wouldn’t surprise me if all that was different was a more powerful amplifier and some dsp tweaks.

EBA66676-682A-46F3-AD84-57C8286E114E.jpeg

54B19809-45FB-4368-88D3-725EB3830F2D.jpeg
That looks like a fun build, though that acoustic foam looks like it will only attenuate the highs somewhat but not clear from the photos. But you probably treated the sidewalls and back wall if you went to all that trouble. I can post my studio build somewhere if you are interested but it feels like we are going quite off topic already!

There is a number of lifestyle products, and more serious stuff that I prefer over the processing+cheap drivers sound of Bose.

But the audio system in a car for me is just there to help pass the time on the more boring aspects of a drive and it sounds like F1eng is happy enough with the base system doing the same.

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
So on our longish trip to North West Wales where we have family we listened to some music.
We didn’t have the sound on for the whole journey but listened to an Alison Balsom album which I had ripped onto a USB stick in ALAC.
It was really pretty good, for a car system.
The trumpet timbre was good, so the frequency response must be even, and despite the fact it is a full dynamic range classical recording the quietness of the Taycan (on P Zero winter tyres and with sound insulated glass) allowed us to enjoy it all - rare in a car because the quiet bits of Bach normally get swallowed by wind, tyre and engine noise in a car.

I have listened to PJ Harvey too whilst here (my wife doesn’t like…) and was pleased the bass was present and correct and not over emphasised.

I would say the “stereo” imagery was poor - typical of an unmanipulated car stereo where one side speaker is so much closer than the other side.

So on balance my wife was pleased (she is a professional musician) and I felt it was way better than I had feared based on the strong opinions I have seen on this forum.

I should say here that my frame of reference here is live unamplified classical music concerts and a dedicated sound system room at home, not other car systems or little speakers you can talk to, so I am confident in my analysis that the system is low in colouration and even in frequency response.

I can see why maybe people who like typical car audio may not like it though ;) the imaging is basic.
Sponsored