ohniner

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan
Country flag
While I know there are many variables in realized range but some experienced responses would help.
We have a 2023 rear drive only but with performance battery option. I’ve mapped out all the DC chargers along our route but what is a reasonable expected range if using range mode and just keeping up with traffic on a not very busy interstate.
Sponsored

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Where are you going? Is it along a heavily travelled route like I-95?

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In case you have not read them, a couple of good forum threads about Taycan road trip planning:

Estimated range, road trip charging planning: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/new-user-questions-about-estimated-range.5582/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...in-a-taycan-tips-suggestions.4072/#post-55986
Detailed charging planner steps: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charging-planner-new-feature.7178/#post-102869
Roadwarrior EV charging kit - a kinder, gentler version: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...and-useful-road-warrior-ev-charging-kit.6812/
Edited Jan. 1, 2024 - Tips for first-time road trip:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...immediate-long-road-trip-advice-sought.16491/

Last edited:

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
While I know there are many variables in realized range but some experienced responses would help.
We have a 2023 rear drive only but with performance battery option. I’ve mapped out all the DC chargers along our route but what is a reasonable expected range if using range mode and just keeping up with traffic on a not very busy interstate.
I recently headed from Florida up 95, to 26, to 77 and finally up 81. Not the greatest area for lots of rapid charging, but enough. Your car will not be the problem (range going along with traffic should easily be 240/250 miles from a full charge, maybe less if you have 21" wheels). Your body will need a pit stop before the car battery runs out of electrons. The problem is the charging network. 3 out of 5 EA sites were nerfed on the trip. 43 kW from a 350 charger, 62 kW at another. When they work as they should you will barely have time for a bathroom trip but you can't count on getting what the Taycan is capable of receiving. Plug Share reviews will let you know recent charging experiences and maybe plan where to make a quick stop and where you might need to make a longer stop and have a meal. Leave a little time cushion in your planning and don't stress an extra 15 or 20 minutes if that happens. EA pretty much sucks about half the time, but there are charging options all over. ABRP and Plug Share are your friends.

edit:
Sorry, it looks like you have the smaller battery. You will need to adjust my range estimate downward roughly 15% to the 210 mile range.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ohniner

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan
Country flag
I recently headed from Florida up 95, to 26, to 77 and finally up 81. Not the greatest area for lots of rapid charging, but enough. Your car will not be the problem (range going along with traffic should easily be 240/250 miles from a full charge, maybe less if you have 21" wheels). Your body will need a pit stop before the car battery runs out of electrons. The problem is the charging network. 3 out of 5 EA sites were nerfed on the trip. 43 kW from a 350 charger, 62 kW at another. When they work as they should you will barely have time for a bathroom trip but you can't count on getting what the Taycan is capable of receiving. Plug Share reviews will let you know recent charging experiences and maybe plan where to make a quick stop and where you might need to make a longer stop and have a meal. Leave a little time cushion in your planning and don't stress an extra 15 or 20 minutes if that happens. EA pretty much sucks about half the time, but there are charging options all over. ABRP and Plug Share are your friends.

edit:
Sorry, it looks like you have the smaller battery. You will need to adjust my range estimate downward roughly 15% to the 210 mile range.
we have the performance battery plus (93.4 kWh) is that the smaller battery?

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Atlanta to Savannah I75S to I16E

Gotcha. That drive is not as easy at it looks. I would recommend to charging to near 100% at the EA location in Forsyth, GA and if you keep the speeds under control you should be able to make the 190 miles to the EA station in Savannah.

Key is to keep the speed well under control.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
we have the performance battery plus (93.4 kWh) is that the smaller battery?
Performance battery is the smaller one, Performance battery plus is the bigger one. Leave it to Porsche to make the batteries sound almost identical. It's the "plus" that is the differentiator. Go with the longer range estimates.

It might cost you a few bucks but EVgo and Charge Point do offer anywhere from 50 kW charging to 180 kW at the newer locations. If it's timed with a lunch stop even 50 kW will put back a decent amount of range. Be flexible and charge when you can. Watching the remaining range and checking the charging options ahead keeps me amused on a long drive. Might drive other people nuts in which case CCS charging isn't a good option. It's not like travel in an ICE vehicle, or even in a Tesla, but it's easily done if you can adjust if necessary.

Last edited:

Oyinko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
With my Taycan GTS, I average 33kWh/100 miles on highway driving around 70mph. It effectively gives me 270 miles of real range.

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
With my Taycan GTS, I average 33kWh/100 miles on highway driving around 70mph. It effectively gives me 285 miles of real range.
Did you mean 'theoretical range'? 285 * 330 / 1000 = 94 (and .05, ok) - but that's not all usable.

I'm getting only recently closer to ~250mi of potentially-real range - based on the car's own measurements/estimations of range and SoC (ie 218mi at 87% -> 250mi@100%, and I've averaged consistently over 30kWh/100mi).

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Well if you count 500km as long range, I managed 21Kwh/100km on the maiden voyage (no recup).

Unfortunately, whenever I take the car for... spirited city driving, I can't keep it below 35Kwh/100km...

Oyinko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did you mean 'theoretical range'? 285 * 330 / 1000 = 94 (and .05, ok) - but that's not all usable.

I'm getting only recently closer to ~250mi of potentially-real range - based on the car's own measurements/estimations of range and SoC (ie 218mi at 87% -> 250mi@100%, and I've averaged consistently over 30kWh/100mi).
The most I have seen in the odometer was maybe 260 miles but I don't worry too much about this.
The usable battery capacity is 83.7 kWh on a Taycan with Performance Plus Battery.
If my math are correct: 88.3/33kWh for 100 miles = 267 miles of range.

Taycan2023y

First Name
Sandeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Porsche Taycan First long distance trip range IMG_2704
Drive mode sports plus/sports. Electric sport sound on heated seats on. Driving through mountain ranges. 19.3kwh. 368.8 travelled.

e92er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Gotcha. That drive is not as easy at it looks. I would recommend to charging to near 100% at the EA location in Forsyth, GA and if you keep the speeds under control you should be able to make the 190 miles to the EA station in Savannah.

Key is to keep the speed well under control.
Dang. My first long distance drive I’m doing when I get my car is going to be ATL to St Simon. I’ve been looking at ABRP and PlugShare and that stretch from Forsyth to Savannah is going to give me range anxiety.
Atl to Asheville a week later though looks like it’ll be a fun drive with a few detours on some mountain roads!

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
that stretch from Forsyth to Savannah is going to give me range anxiety.
Why? it looks pretty normal to me. I wouldn’t even give it a second though with the available chargers along route unless they are showing as down.
Sponsored