First real OTA update for the Taycan 2020 and 2021 happening April 27th…

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
"*Each vehicle start should include the locking and removal of key (>6 ft) from the vehicle for at least 2 minutes to confirm the vehicle is “asleep.” This process may need to be repeated as many as 7 times in some cases."

WTAF!? 7 times??? This might actually be my issue. I've tried the above a few times, but still no Apple Podcasts or Google Search. I haven't tried it 7 times I don' think though. Maybe I'll allocate a block of time tomorrow and just keep repeating it over and over 🤔

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
My biggest gripe with this server revision isn't even that it is weird or convoluted (which it is). It's that they don't tell you what is even going to change. Example: If successful, in menu x you will see change y. I didn't expect any meaningful changes to my actual PCM, since I suspect this is related to server capabilities and not local features, so there is literally nothing that would allow me to confirm that it had happened other than perhaps participating in a future OTA update because it succeeded or missing out on an OTA update because it didn't. Very frustrating. I assume that there is a reason that they are so cryptic about it (embarassment, fear of security vulnerability. etc.), but it doesn't make it any less aggravating.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
I got the prompt for the PCM update today and it all worked fine.

When you listen to the message in the update screen it tells you what is going to change and be updated. (I tapped on listen to update message.) Essentially it said that the PCM will get snappier and faster and will specifically load Navigation entry a bit quicker along with some other things. Sounded like the boot order was changed to things people want to use the second they turn on their car.

PCM 6.0 is just a pipe dream I guess.

Duc959

First Name
FR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
share.octopus.energy
Vehicles
RR Vogue Autobiography, Ducati Panigale V2
Country flag
I have the car complaining about this update, however I am unable to install it. PCM keep saying I can't download due to another function running?

4EVer

First Name
Viv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, iD3 Pro S, E-Up!
Country flag
I have the car complaining about this update, however I am unable to install it. PCM keep saying I can't download due to another function running?
Mine’s the same. Just can’t get the update to install so I tried booking it in with the dealer but the earliest date I could get was over 5 weeks away
Porsche Taycan First real OTA update for the Taycan 2020 and 2021 happening April 27th… F975186C-4834-4E10-9C07-86F8BDE852B5

Cyberdriver888

First Name
Håkon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Mine’s the same. Just can’t get the update to install so I tried booking it in with the dealer but the earliest date I could get was over 5 weeks away
F975186C-4834-4E10-9C07-86F8BDE852B5.jpeg
+1. The dealer can’t do anything about it either as it’s OTA. They have to log a ticket. Have managed to install it and what did the trick?

4EVer

First Name
Viv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, iD3 Pro S, E-Up!
Country flag
+1. The dealer can’t do anything about it either as it’s OTA. They have to log a ticket. Have managed to install it and what did the trick?
Still waiting for my appointment with the dealer. I’ve tried resetting the PCM and then trying to load the update but it still says ‘function not possible‘ etc. Having read your comment Im going to try calling Porsche customer services to see what they say

4EVer

First Name
Viv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, iD3 Pro S, E-Up!
Country flag
Still waiting for my appointment with the dealer. I’ve tried resetting the PCM and then trying to load the update but it still says ‘function not possible‘ etc. Having read your comment Im going to try calling Porsche customer services to see what they say
UPDATE:

So I contacted Customer Services via email [email protected] and received the following reply:

I have received feedback on the technical ticket regarding the Online Software update error message appearing in your vehicles PCM.
Your vehicle is required to visit a Porsche Centre to have a Manual Software update completed, this is because the software update cannot currently be completed Over-The-Air. In the meantime, our experts have provided instructions to complete, this should temporarily make the Software update message disappear from your vehicle PCM display.
Please complete the following steps in your vehicles PCM display to see if this removes the Online Software update error message.
  • In your vehicle PCM display select ‘Updates’.
    • Once in the ‘Updates’ screen, place two fingers at the top right of the screen and hold them there for several seconds.
    • This should then bring up the REM (red developer menu) in your vehicles PCM display.
    • If the REM (red developer menu) appears select the option ‘Reboot to normal mode’.
    • This should then take you back out of the REM (red developer menu) and the Online Software update error message should disappear.
I followed the instructions, rebooted from the REM, and then got 11 messages informing me that updates were installing. Having waited a while to install 10 of the Infotainment system updates, this left a single message informing me that the ONA5 ‘Function Improvements’ update was ready to be installed.

I followed the installation instructions and this time it began to install. At 13.50 I exited the vehicle and locked it, as per the instructions, and could see that it was installing by the message on the instrument cluster:

Porsche Taycan First real OTA update for the Taycan 2020 and 2021 happening April 27th… 1657193082439

When I returned to the car at 15.50 I got the following message:

Porsche Taycan First real OTA update for the Taycan 2020 and 2021 happening April 27th… 1657193082498

So this appears to have successfully installed ONA5. I’ve not yet had much of a chance to see what improvements there are but can report that the PCM has far less lag.

This morning I thought I’d check to see if there were other OTA updates and I found the following message:

Porsche Taycan First real OTA update for the Taycan 2020 and 2021 happening April 27th… 1657193082701

Again I seem to have successfully installed this so I believe the system is now up to date.

It appears therefore that my car had some sort of blockage which was not allowing it to install the ONA5 (and subsequent ONA7) update, or the 10 infotainment updates, and rebooting the PCM via the REM sorted it.

Perhaps using the REM is a safer way to sort problems rather than going through the process of disconnecting the 12V battery, as has been described elsewhere on this forum?

I have now sent an update to Customer Services asking whether my system is in fact fully up to date and, if so, whether I can now cancel my appointment with the dealer. I do hope so!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
UPDATE:

So I contacted Customer Services via email [email protected] and received the following reply:

I have received feedback on the technical ticket regarding the Online Software update error message appearing in your vehicles PCM.
Your vehicle is required to visit a Porsche Centre to have a Manual Software update completed, this is because the software update cannot currently be completed Over-The-Air. In the meantime, our experts have provided instructions to complete, this should temporarily make the Software update message disappear from your vehicle PCM display.
Please complete the following steps in your vehicles PCM display to see if this removes the Online Software update error message.
  • In your vehicle PCM display select ‘Updates’.
    • Once in the ‘Updates’ screen, place two fingers at the top right of the screen and hold them there for several seconds.
    • This should then bring up the REM (red developer menu) in your vehicles PCM display.
    • If the REM (red developer menu) appears select the option ‘Reboot to normal mode’.
    • This should then take you back out of the REM (red developer menu) and the Online Software update error message should disappear.
I followed the instructions, rebooted from the REM, and then got 11 messages informing me that updates were installing. Having waited a while to install 10 of the Infotainment system updates, this left a single message informing me that the ONA5 ‘Function Improvements’ update was ready to be installed.

I followed the installation instructions and this time it began to install. At 13.50 I exited the vehicle and locked it, as per the instructions, and could see that it was installing by the message on the instrument cluster:

73052509-A6AB-4CB5-A18F-6A5868D38B9C.jpeg

When I returned to the car at 15.50 I got the following message:

A7AB1900-2A80-4FB1-8EB1-137C480AAFEB.jpeg

So this appears to have successfully installed ONA5. I’ve not yet had much of a chance to see what improvements there are but can report that the PCM has far less lag.

This morning I thought I’d check to see if there were other OTA updates and I found the following message:

D2E09C99-5E40-4C83-8306-D88AF8CDB6B7.jpeg

Again I seem to have successfully installed this so I believe the system is now up to date.

It appears therefore that my car had some sort of blockage which was not allowing it to install the ONA5 (and subsequent ONA7) update, or the 10 infotainment updates, and rebooting the PCM via the REM sorted it.

Perhaps using the REM is a safer way to sort problems rather than going through the process of disconnecting the 12V battery, as has been described elsewhere on this forum?

I have now sent an update to Customer Services asking whether my system is in fact fully up to date and, if so, whether I can now cancel my appointment with the dealer. I do hope so!
Apologies if I missed it but can you remind me the model year and actually the build date of your 4S - trying to figure out if my car simply does not need the ONA7 as on my last visit to the dealership it was not available to my car - wondering if I do this reset might it appear! Other possibility is that it loaded on background itself but can’t seem to verify this.

4EVer

First Name
Viv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, iD3 Pro S, E-Up!
Country flag
Apologies if I missed it but can you remind me the model year and actually the build date of your 4S - trying to figure out if my car simply does not need the ONA7 as on my last visit to the dealership it was not available to my car - wondering if I do this reset might it appear! Other possibility is that it loaded on background itself but can’t seem to verify this.
My car is a ‘21 MY. I took delivery March 11 ‘21 so guess it must have been manufactured in February.

I think it’s worth you trying the REM reboot regardless as it doesn’t seem to affect any preinstalled favourites or personalised settings. I’m sure if I’d not done it I wouldn’t have got all the infotainment system updates, despite having the ‘install updates automatically’ box ticked.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
My car is a ‘21 MY. I took delivery March 11 ‘21 so guess it must have been manufactured in February.

I think it’s worth you trying the REM reboot regardless as it doesn’t seem to affect any preinstalled favourites or personalised settings. I’m sure if I’d not done it I wouldn’t have got all the infotainment system updates, despite having the ‘install updates automatically’ box ticked.
I wonder if there is any facts about this roll out by country. According to my Service guy, there has not been a roll out in France as yet.

I just can not understand why Porsche are so secretive about roll out schedules etc??

Daniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I wonder if there is any facts about this roll out by country. According to my Service guy, there has not been a roll out in France as yet.

I just can not understand why Porsche are so secretive about roll out schedules etc??
What do you mean by “roll out “?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
What do you mean by “roll out “?
What I mean is when can this update be expected to be activated in each country. It does not seem that all countries get the update at the same time. Guess the back end has extremely low capacity, given all the connectivity issues around
Sponsored