First Road Trip from DC to Syracuse: What do I need to know?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I know there is a lot of information and tried searching, but could not really find what I seek (could be user error).

I remember my first long road trip in the Tesla nearly 7 years ago and it was pretty nerve wracking as I knew so little about EVs and charging (and the Charging network for Tesla was still terrible). After a few trips, I learned the tricks and was no longer nervous.

I’m wondering whether there is a list of things that new Taycan owners should know before they go on a first long road trip?

For example, what is the recommended percentage charge at destination I should use given all the horror stories I have heard about malfunctioning charging stations? Is 10% enough, or are people going for15-20%? I know you can set percent charge for final destination, but can you do the same for interim charging stops (or do people break the trip up and treat each charge as the final destination)?

How good is the Porsche router? Can you rely on it, or are people relying on third party apps like abetterrouteplanner? Any tricks to navigation or car settings? What’s most reliable way to find functioning high-speed chargers?

Is there an ideal speed for range (in my Model X, range would drop precipitously at 70+)? Do people feel the need to draft other vehicles much? Also, how sensitive are these cars to aero? I’m thinking about using Porsche performance roof box that I own, but if it really kills 15-20% range, maybe I’m better off shipping to destination to avoid the box? Also have sto and go front plate mount, and was thinking of removing just to improve aero a bit more, but that may be overkill.

Also, anyone know anything about chargers on that route that I should know?

In short, what do you know about road-tripping in Taycan now that you wish you had known before your first road trip?

Many thanks in advance
Sponsored

Last edited:

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Are you going up 95 -> 476 -> 81? If so, there's plenty of electrify america stations up along that way such that you have plenty of buffer between stations if you're super anxious about range. The stations all look reliable on Plugshare.

I rely on ABRP to do pre-trip planning. I use the PCM nav to get from charging point to charging point. To make it easier, I set each potential stop in my favorites to find them quickly (for me and my co-pilot).

Go with the box on top. You've plenty of stations along the way.

I'm doing a 500 mile one-way trip this weekend and doing my pre-planning the same way.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I know there is a lot of information and tried searching, but could not really find what I seek (could be user error).

I remember my first long road trip in the Tesla nearly 7 years ago and it was pretty nerve wracking as I knew so little about EVs and charging (and the Charging network for Tesla was still terrible). After a few trips, I learned the tricks and was no longer nervous.

I’m wondering whether there is a list of things that new Taycan owners should know before they go on a first long road trip?

For example, what is the recommended percentage charge at destination I should use given all the horror stories I have heard about malfunctioning charging stations? Is 10% enough, or are people going for15-20%? I know you can set percent charge for final destination, but can you do the same for interim charging stops (or do people break the trip up and treat each charge as the final destination)?

How good is the Porsche router? Can you rely on it, or are people relying on third party apps like abetterrouteplanner? Any tricks to navigation or car settings? What’s most reliable way to find functioning high-speed chargers?

Is there an ideal speed for range (in my Model X, range would drop precipitously at 70+)? Do people feel the need to draft other vehicles much? Also, how sensitive are these cars to aero? I’m thinking about using Porsche performance roof box that I own, but if it really kills 15-20% range, maybe I’m better off shipping to destination to avoid the box? Also have sto and go front plate mount, and was thinking of removing just to improve aero a bit more, but that may be overkill.

In short, what do you know about road-tripping in Taycan now that you wish you had known before your first road trip?

Many thanks in advance
I've actually travelled that route this summer and it went well (I pretty much stuck to the interstate system). A fair number of EA chargers (and New York State has, also, EVolve chargers that are associated with EA and give free Plug and Charge also). Syracuse itself has an EA charger and 2 EVolve chargers fairly close to each other. If you use Tripadvisor, with an amenity filter, you may even be able to find a hotel with a charger. (It is nice to have a Tesla tap in case you want to use a Tesla destination charger). The Porsche navigation system sometimes struggles with charger locations ...so research where they are ahead of time and know that descriptions (e.g located at Target ....) can be helpful. Good luck!

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you going up 95 -> 476 -> 81? If so, there's plenty of electrify america stations up along that way such that you have plenty of buffer between stations if you're super anxious about range. The stations all look reliable on Plugshare.

I rely on ABRP to do pre-trip planning. I use the PCM nav to get from charging point to charging point. To make it easier, I set each potential stop in my favorites to find them quickly (for me and my co-pilot).

Go with the box on top. You've plenty of stations along the way.

I'm doing a 500 mile one-way trip this weekend and doing my pre-planning the same way.
Thanks. Yes, I think Waze is sending mostly up 81.

So if we use the box, do you "compensate" for the range loss somehow for ABRP or in Porsche?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've actually travelled that route this summer and it went well (I pretty much stuck to the interstate system). A fair number of EA chargers (and New York State has, also, EVolve chargers that are associated with EA and give free Plug and Charge also). Syracuse itself has an EA charger and 2 EVolve chargers fairly close to each other. If you use Tripadvisor, with an amenity filter, you may even be able to find a hotel with a charger. (It is nice to have a Tesla tap in case you want to use a Tesla destination charger). The Porsche navigation system sometimes struggles with charger locations ...so research where they are ahead of time and know that descriptions (e.g located at Target ....) can be helpful. Good luck!
I'm staying at the Marriott or the Jefferson Clinton (I think I have reservations at both and need to cancel one). I plan on giving it a good charge at the nearest supercharger before calling it a night.

And I have a Tesla adaptor, but I assume that's just for private charging sites (e.g., hotels) since Tesla, to my knowledge, hasn't opened chargers up to Porsche in the US as it has in the EU, right?

Last edited:

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Thanks. Yes, I think Waze is sending mostly up 81.

So if we use the box, do you "compensate" for the range loss somehow for ABRP or in Porsche?
In ABRP there is a reference consumption @ 65 mph in the settings. Mine is setup in miles/kwh, and I use 3 miles / kWh when I use my yakima box; 3.2 when I don't have a yakima box attached. Drive around with the top box on and you'll see what your consumption is and use that or use a conservative estimate. Obviously ymmv depending on driving style.

Porsche will adjust the guessometer with as you drive and I find it fairly accurate.

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In ABRP there is a reference consumption @ 65 mph in the settings. Mine is setup in miles/kwh, and I use 3 miles / kWh when I use my yakima box; 3.2 when I don't have a yakima box attached. Drive around with the top box on and you'll see what your consumption is and use that or use a conservative estimate. Obviously ymmv depending on driving style.

Porsche will adjust the guessometer with as you drive and I find it fairly accurate.
Extremely helpful. This is exactly the type of practical advice I needed to hear. I didn't realize that the Porsche app would adapt based on changed quickly enough to help.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm staying at the Marriott or the Jefferson Clinton (I think I have reservations at both and need to cancel one). I plan on giving it a good charge at the nearest supercharger before calling it a night.

And I have a Tesla adaptor, but I assume that's just for private charging sites (e.g., hotels) since Tesla, to my knowledge, hasn't opened chargers up to Porsche in the US as it has in the EU, right?
tesla tap is NOT useable at Tesla superchargers (and superchargers not yet useable in US; supposedly coming). Tesla destination chargers are mostly at hotels. You can find Tesla Destination Chargers here:
https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=43.186684241954396,-78.799388125,42.981574075215825,-79.326731875&zoom=12&search=Niagara Falls, NY, USA&filters=destination charger

(change destination as desired)

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do all NY EVolve charging stations allow free EA Plug & Charge for Taycans? I tried to find this on Evolve web site but for charging station details, it links to PlugShare.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
use Plugshare to evaluate the reliablity and recent successful charging at chargers you plan to use on route - have back up locatons incase you run into problems

a little planning will save a lot of headache…

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do all NY EVolve charging stations allow free EA Plug & Charge for Taycans? I tried to find this on Evolve web site but for charging station details, it links to PlugShare.
In my personal experience, the EVolve chargers that show in the EA app or web site DO allow free Plug n Charge (which surprised me, to be honest ..but I was happy!)

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
OK. I see that some EA NY sites in the EA website are listed as EVolve, but not all EVolve sites are on EA website, including the one I was interested in. Thanks.

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag

Many thanks in advance
Just drove from Syracuse to Hartford CT area; also have drive from Hartford to central NJ; you shouldn't have any trouble. This is the approach I used (not saying this is the correct/only) way:

i planned the trip on ABRP with 15% minimum remaining before recharge
ABRP isn't the most user friendly program but it works; when the trip was planned I copied the grid into Excel (or Google Sheets, either is fine) and printed it out as the main reference tool. The grid shows each stop, expected charge at arrival, duration of charge, and planned charge at departure. Very helpful.
At each stop I entered the next one into the NAV while also using Google Maps to check the overall trip traffic for trouble.
I found the default ABRP settings for the car (4s) were very conservative but that fits my personality.
No issues at all on the trip; went very smoothly and chatted with some interesting people at stops. Even bumped into one person 2x.
Always with PlugShare handy to help find an alternate if there was an issue, but didn't need it.
Added about 1hr total to the trip for charging; liked taking the breaks but 25 min can seem like a long time.

OP
OP
TDinDC

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks all for the advice.

On this trip, I should not need anything other than Tesla converter given the abundance of chargers, right? Space will be at a premium. Thanks

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
If you've easy access to L2 chargers, be it J1772 or Tesla Destination Chargers, you're probably good with just the Telsa L2 adapter. Leave the adapter in the car in the floor of the trunk. You'll never have to remember if you've got it or not. Just not easy access when the trunk is full.
Sponsored