First somewhat trip did not go so well...

Bresdo1962

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Went to a place that is 75 miles away and left with my car at 85% with 211 mile range. Figured I could make it there and back without charging. Almost all highway driving and when I got there had only 29% left....and getting an alert for a flat tire...checked the tire and nothing wrong. Looked at the PSI and was at 37 same as the other 4 tires. Could not get the alert to stop. Since I would not make it back home stopped off at an Electrify America at a Wall Mart. I am suppose to get 3 years free but had to pay $15.00 to get the car up to 70%. Took about 30 minutes and was on a 350 charger but watching it was getting less than 100.

I drove the car in normal mode the whole way and not sure why my range is so bad...Next year I need to dive 2000 miles to LA and afraid I am going to need to stop every 100 miles to get charged up...not a good feeling. This will be the only long trip I will ever make since I will be shipping the car to Kauai and will never have a long drive ever again.
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Something doesn't seem right, how fast where you going?

For the 3 years charging, did you do the order in the porsche connect store? Did you try to use the app to authorize the charging? Do you have plug and charge enabled in the PCM?

OP
OP
Bresdo1962

Bresdo1962

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I used a charger last week to test it and it was EA as well and no charge that time...

According to my trip report I averaged just over 70 MPH for the one way trip.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Do you have your credit card linked to the account? I know that hung up a lot of people including myself. Didn't think to add it since account was free, but still needs to be there for it to work.
Speed kills range........ and elevation maybe?

OP
OP
Bresdo1962

Bresdo1962

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Whole trip was very flat. Actually very flat. Like I said last week used a EA machine and it connected to my car and no need for anything, just started charging. Not sure why this EA spot requires me to pay

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Ok, it sounds like the station maybe didn't support Plug-and-Charge...in which case you should start the session in the My Porsche app.

Which station was it, so we can check it out?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Went to a place that is 75 miles away and left with my car at 85% with 211 mile range. Figured I could make it there and back without charging. Almost all highway driving and when I got there had only 29% left....and getting an alert for a flat tire...checked the tire and nothing wrong. Looked at the PSI and was at 37 same as the other 4 tires. Could not get the alert to stop. Since I would not make it back home stopped off at an Electrify America at a Wall Mart. I am suppose to get 3 years free but had to pay $15.00 to get the car up to 70%. Took about 30 minutes and was on a 350 charger but watching it was getting less than 100.

I drove the car in normal mode the whole way and not sure why my range is so bad...Next year I need to dive 2000 miles to LA and afraid I am going to need to stop every 100 miles to get charged up...not a good feeling. This will be the only long trip I will ever make since I will be shipping the car to Kauai and will never have a long drive ever again.
Something is very wrong there.....

That puts your range at less than 150 miles on a flat road at 70mph.

I bet those error warnings are not a coincidence.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag

211 miles range at 85% is about 250 at 100%. That is based on previous driving and would indicate a historically low average speed leading up to your trip. You really can't rely on that range number for a highway drive at speed limit + 15-20%. Best to plug the destination into the nav and see what the car estimates based on route and elevation. Monitor as you go and adjust your speed accordingly. I always model a trip on A Better Route Planner with realistic speed built in so there are no surprises.

If your tires are showing 37 psi warm, after a fast highway drive, you are probably running them too low, especially if they are 21's. Low tire pressure will kill your range. Mine are about 40-42 psi all around after a highway blast.

Some EA installations don't support plug and charge yet, so you need to use the My Porsche app to initiate. Still should be free though. EA dispenser tells you cost even though it is free. If the battery is cold or at higher states of charge, you aren't going to see anywhere near the 260-270 kW rate of charge e even on a 350 kW dispenser. Preconditioned battery (navigate to an EA station) and state of charge < 10% and the thing rips to 260 kW. For a while anyway.

Range mode is not worth bothering with IMO. Hurts the ride and doesn't add much to the equation, especially with the new software which idles the front motor more aggressively in Normal. If you averaged 70 mph for the trip out and 625 Wh/mile, you were doing some serious speed on the highway. That always hurts. You should have easily been able to do 150 miles on 85% at speed limit + 10%.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Next year I need to dive 2000 miles to LA and afraid I am going to need to stop every 100 miles to get charged up...not a good feeling
I drove 4000 miles round trip from Dallas to NorCal and back.
Here were my stops and the times with associated overhead.

I found myself looking forward to each stop. Some of them had a lot of "overhead" (shown in green) due to switching from broken pumps, waiting my turn, etc.

Porsche Taycan First somewhat trip did not go so well... PNG image
Sponsored