Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
interesting - i guess this is like tuning the ECU on an ICE car sort of, if there is an EV equivalent. Curious how safe/stable it is. Wonder if anyone has it on their taycan yet

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My concern would be... ordinarily with "tunes" I'd wait until after the warranty period was up so as to not void, but with this extended battery warranty, I'm looking at 8 years, and I can't imagine Porsche will be kind to battery claims if you've juiced the performance. Kind of takes some of the wind out of the sails.

Deleted member 6348

My concern would be... ordinarily with "tunes" I'd wait until after the warranty period was up so as to not void, but with this extended battery warranty, I'm looking at 8 years, and I can't imagine Porsche will be kind to battery claims if you've juiced the performance. Kind of takes some of the wind out of the sails.
This. You can extract more performance out of the battery if you ignore Porsches safety and engineering margins. For some owners, cost for a new Taycan battery might be no big deal, but for most, it’s probably too much risk.

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
So this basically removes software limits? So it is like a hack, different than ICE tune, which increase boost etc.

The legal battles are foreseen. It will fun trial if the Turbo and Turbo S has all motors etc same, but only difference is the software (limit). Then breaking the car because of tune is not valid claim.

Love it that there is a tune (hack)

Happy Frog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf
Country flag
The base E tron gt has the same exact motors as RS. Just software reduced.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
The legal battles are foreseen. It will fun trial if the Turbo and Turbo S has all motors etc same, but only difference is the software (limit).
The Turbo S has – among other things – a different front inverter delivering 600 Amps to the front motor.

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The Turbo S has – among other things – a different front inverter delivering 600 Amps to the front motor.
The inverter (600A vs 300A) is as far as I know the only difference (beside default options) ? And the bigger inverter makes the short 750HP boost at launch possible right? (+ more regen I guess)

Do you know of other differences as well? (Just interested when as I am thinking of my next Taycan already :) )

(also, I guess the GTS == Turbo + software limitations, so we'll see if we get a software hack for that some day...)

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Do you know of other differences as well? (Just interested when as I am thinking of my next Taycan already :) )
Slightly larger diameter HV wiring harness to deliver more power consistently – especially to the front motors.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
To those commenting on the higher amp inverter and larger wiring are you 100% certain of this or is this what you have been told or read somewhere?

Sure Porsche can have the sales people "trained" to tell you something else, or print things in an owners manual but that doesn't make it true.

Can you back up these claims and show the differences via actual part numbers or pictures showing the physical differences between said wiring and inverter?

From a cost of manufacturing perspective the cheapest way is actually to make everything the same, order lots of the same parts, put it together with the same parts on the assembly line and then just change it up via software. Porsche, as many of you may already know, makes more profit per vehicle than anyone out there....usually this does not happen by using bespoke parts for a low run version of a model aka the Turbo S.

Tesla does this exact same thing with the Long Range vs the Performance models. They are the same thing (motor wise) and they will even sell you an OTA upgrade to bring the Long Range to the same performance as the Performance model for $2000 "Acceleration Boost"

For Tesla (similar to the different Taycan models) adding this does NOT make it a Performance model, as it is lacking the suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, spoiler, track mode, Tesla once claimed the Performance model received a larger rear motor but the "Acceleration Boost" provides the exact same 0-60 time so clearly this was just marketing and it doesn't "hurt" the car or the battery when everything is designed to handle the max from the start and they all share the same parts.

I'd love to see different part numbers and/or a physically different inverter unit and/or thicker wiring compared to thinner between Taycan models if anyone can prove it.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
From the Porsche newsroom: Taycan, Taycan 4S, Turbo and Turbo S – The powertrain - Porsche Taycan

Pulse-controlled inverters control the motors
The pulse-controlled inverter is the most important component for controlling the electric motors. In the Taycan, a pulse-controlled inverter is mounted on each drive module on the front and rear axles. The se pulse-controlled inverters convert the direct current supplied by the battery into the alternating current required to drive the electric motors. The reverse happens during braking where it converts the alternating current obtained during recuperation into direct current for charging the battery. In the Taycan Turbo S, a pulse-controlled inverter with a maximum current rating of 600 amps is used on the front axle (Taycan 4S and Taycan Turbo: 300 amps). An inverter with a maximum current of 600 amps is installed on the rear axle in all models. Both pulse-controlled inverters operate with a remarkably high efficiency of almost 98 per cent.

Two different rear motors using the same 600 amp inverter.
One front motor with two different inverters.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok what are the part numbers?
Without a part difference that is just the Porsche marketing machine IMHO.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
To those commenting on the higher amp inverter and larger wiring are you 100% certain of this or is this what you have been told or read somewhere?

Sure Porsche can have the sales people "trained" to tell you something else, or print things in an owners manual but that doesn't make it true.

Can you back up these claims and show the differences via actual part numbers or pictures showing the physical differences between said wiring and inverter?

From a cost of manufacturing perspective the cheapest way is actually to make everything the same, order lots of the same parts, put it together with the same parts on the assembly line and then just change it up via software. Porsche, as many of you may already know, makes more profit per vehicle than anyone out there....usually this does not happen by using bespoke parts for a low run version of a model aka the Turbo S.

Tesla does this exact same thing with the Long Range vs the Performance models. They are the same thing (motor wise) and they will even sell you an OTA upgrade to bring the Long Range to the same performance as the Performance model for $2000 "Acceleration Boost"

For Tesla (similar to the different Taycan models) adding this does NOT make it a Performance model, as it is lacking the suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, spoiler, track mode, Tesla once claimed the Performance model received a larger rear motor but the "Acceleration Boost" provides the exact same 0-60 time so clearly this was just marketing and it doesn't "hurt" the car or the battery when everything is designed to handle the max from the start and they all share the same parts.

I'd love to see different part numbers and/or a physically different inverter unit and/or thicker wiring compared to thinner between Taycan models if anyone can prove it.
The acceleration between long range + boost and performance still isn’t the same. Performance has a .4 or so second advantage to 60. But your post is correct in the sense that they hold back via software and then charge more

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also the Turbo S only has more power than the Turbo during launch control. That's it. The rest of the time the power is the same.
If it has upgraded hardware why can't it have that power all the time?

Again (to me) this just points to a software limit (on the Turbo) to upsell you on the Turbo S which is Porsche's entire model. I hate it, but I love Porsches so they get away with it lol.
Sponsored