whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I had my 4S for a bit before I purchased the Race Card Chip.
You can feel it when you start your app on the phone and it Connects to the car. Better acceleration then normal, Better Battery life depending on what Mode you put it on.
You have 3 Modes to choose from.
Sport
Comfort and
Economy mode.
Based on everything on the product website, this is a throttle remapping device, meaning it takes in the position of the accelerator pedal and passes it to the car's computers with a change. Essentially it changes your throttle response to your foot. So for example it may lower your acceleration unless you really jam the pedal. It can take into account how fast you're pressing the pedal too. This can give you throttle response you prefer (personal preference). This may give you better battery life by the pure virtue that it will limit how quickly you accelerate (akin to range mode). It will not give you higher max acceleration or power, since 100% throttle is 100% throttle (unless Porsche ECU has a bug and will accept values above 100% which the accelerator pedal would never give, but if that is the case, you may be stressing the battery and/or motors beyond their design envelope).

Some people different throttle mappings, which is why some Tesla driver's prefer to drive in "chill mode" which limits their acceleration unless they floor the accelerator, making the ride less "jerky". I think Porsche also changes throttle response based on driving modes. I don't have mine yet, but remember from the test drive that switching to SportPlus the throttle became a lot more responsive.

So for you the value of this device is that it provides throttle response which you prefer over Porsche defines ones. Enjoy! I suspect at some point in the future, manufacturers will add a custom throttle mapping feature to cars, perhaps Porsche custom drive mode will add a throttle map.
Sponsored

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don't shoot the messenger! I was just commenting on Jenner's observation. VW Group's integrity, or lack thereof, has been well documented in the diesel-gate scandal and I would not put anything past them at this point. But on the subject of pulse inverters, like Jenner, I would like to hear from some of our EE brethren on the site who have in fact looked under the hood and compared the 300 AMP to the 600 AMP inverter. Maybe they are distinct; maybe the 600 AMP is a bigger, beefier model. Or perhaps the conspiracy theory is correct and they are the same piece of kit with software changes that allow the TTS to crap out a little more juice on launch. (Something analogous to the difference between adaptive cruise and innodrive.) If software is in fact the only difference, I think that TTS owners have for sure been duped into thinking that they purchased a more robust/expensive inverter rather than a few lines of computer code. Personally speaking, I have no freak'n idea how pulse inverters are made and whether Porsche could even use software to limit the amps on the Turbo, but it certainly seems plausible.
600A PE is physically bigger and heavier than 300A PE. There is no conspiracy however. If Porsche was short on 300A ones and chose to install 600A in the front of Turbo cars, why would you feel TTS owners are duped? They get exactly what they agreed to pay for. Just because someone else might have gotten the same thing cheaper, so what? Do you feel duped because the same Porsche options in other countries costs half as much or less than in the US (check out UK configurator, then compare prices of option, you'll probably be surprised how much some of them differ)? As long as you get what you paid for, you are not duped. Who cares if someone else got same or even more for less money. We are not children, we make our own financial decisions and should stick by them. If you don't think a product is worth the money, don't buy it. If you don't see value is software defined features, don't buy them either.

PCASSOO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
I agree 100%
Everything is not for everybody.
Like the guy insulting my steering wheel.
No need for it.
Thanks also too the other person getting all the Technical information out there to.
It's a Great Car and I like making things mine.
Have a Great Day everyone... 😎

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
600A PE is physically bigger and heavier than 300A PE. There is no conspiracy however. If Porsche was short on 300A ones and chose to install 600A in the front of Turbo cars, why would you feel TTS owners are duped? They get exactly what they agreed to pay for. Just because someone else might have gotten the same thing cheaper, so what? Do you feel duped because the same Porsche options in other countries costs half as much or less than in the US (check out UK configurator, then compare prices of option, you'll probably be surprised how much some of them differ)? As long as you get what you paid for, you are not duped. Who cares if someone else got same or even more for less money. We are not children, we make our own financial decisions and should stick by them. If you don't think a product is worth the money, don't buy it. If you don't see value is software defined features, don't buy them either.
Maybe the term "duped" was a little strong. It would, if the inverters were physically identical, be more precise to state that the folks at Porsche were masters of obfuscation. Ignorant laymen, such as myself, would tend to think that 600 AMP inverters were physically different, better, somehow more expensive to produce, etc. than 300 AMP inverters. If the only differences between the two were software related, technical dullards like me might be disappointed to learn that they purchased simplistic computer code if they thought they were buying cool physical stuff. But it appears from schematics posted on this thread that the two inverters do in fact have unique physical attributes. My faith in Porsche and the VW Group has been restored!

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Now waiting for a tune that unlocks Taycan Turbo power in a Tayca GTS - two cars with the same batteries, motors, and inverters, but different horsepower ratings. Oh and please let me have the full power for a few seconds without invoking launch control.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now waiting for a tune that unlocks Taycan Turbo power in a Tayca GTS - two cars with the same batteries, motors, and inverters, but different horsepower ratings. Oh and please let me have the full power for a few seconds without invoking launch control.
How much would you pay for such a hack? Porsche charges $21K in the US. $15K a good deal for you? What if Porsche offered this unlock for $15K after a couple of years of ownership, would you buy it?

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
How much would you pay for such a hack? Porsche charges $21K in the US. $15K a good deal for you? What if Porsche offered this unlock for $15K after a couple of years of ownership, would you buy it?
Good question. Would I pay $15K for a software uplock from 440kW to 500kW? Definitely not - otherwise I would have gone with the Turbo instead of the GTS at order time. Frankly I don't need more power, but I'd like more power, and I'd bite at say $4-5K. Heck, I dream idly of Porsche getting tired of articles talking about how a Kia EV6 GT "is as fast as a Taycan" and just giving all of us a free software power bump, but in the end I'd be willing to pay a few grand for it. But not $15K.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe the term "duped" was a little strong. It would, if the inverters were physically identical, be more precise to state that the folks at Porsche were masters of obfuscation. Ignorant laymen, such as myself, would tend to think that 600 AMP inverters were physically different, better, somehow more expensive to produce, etc. than 300 AMP inverters. If the only differences between the two were software related, technical dullards like me might be disappointed to learn that they purchased simplistic computer code if they thought they were buying cool physical stuff. But it appears from schematics posted on this thread that the two inverters do in fact have unique physical attributes. My faith in Porsche and the VW Group has been restored!
I think the issue is that people see hardware and software differently, with hardware being worth money, and software not so much. Thanks to Apple, people learned to pay for apps, and don't throw fits like "How dare someone ask for money to enable me to 3D scan objects with my iPhone! The phone came with the LiDAR and all hardware needed to do that, now they are trying to rip me off by charging for the software!". You car is becoming a computing device on wheels, not much different than the iPhone. I think people need to realize that and move on - software absolutely has value. Not just that, I would prefer that Porsche sold all hardware capable of Turbo S performance, and gave me the option to buy it later if I wanted it at a price much cheaper than trading up from say a 4S to Turbo S. What's wrong with that?

I really hope some manufacturer will actually market it right, for example, Porsche, you can buy an actual RWD, 4S, GTS, Turbo or Turbo S like today, but they would add one more - Taycan SD (Software Defined). Say the SD was more expensive than RWD but less than 4S, but it came with all the hardware from Turbo S, just locked down to the trim performance you paid for (with say $3,000 premium for it being SD if you paid for less than Turbo S), with the option to pay the price difference (maybe even depreciated at the same rate as the car) in the future to upgrade if you want to. Would you buy buy a software defined Taycan, or stick with the hardware defined trim? Would you think Taycan SD is a ripp-off ($3K to make it unlockable all the way to Turbo S performance, with Turbo S discounted by $3K so it doesn't cost you any extra)?

Say the pricing would look like this:
Taycan CT4 - $97,700
Taycan CT SD locked to CT 4 - $100,700
Taycan CT 4S - $113,000
Taycan CD SC locked to 4S - $116,000
Taycan CT GTS - $136,000
Taycan CT SD locked to GTS - $139,000
Taycan CT Turbo - $155,900
Taycan CT SD locked to Turbo - $158,900
Taycan CT Turbo S - $190,000
Taycan CT SD unlocked - $190,000 (same price as Turbo S since it's the same thing)
Upgrade from any SD to any SD, the original price difference minus depreciation

Do you think many people would jump on the software defined Taycan to leave the door open for a future upgrade? What if the upgrades were even less to compensate for the fact that different trims are not just performance, but included options, but upgrading a Taycan SD would be performance only.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good question. Would I pay $15K for a software uplock from 440kW to 500kW? Definitely not - otherwise I would have gone with the Turbo instead of the GTS at order time. Frankly I don't need more power, but I'd like more power, and I'd bite at say $4-5K. Heck, I dream idly of Porsche getting tired of articles talking about how a Kia EV6 GT "is as fast as a Taycan" and just giving all of us a free software power bump.
What you're actually saying is that you would like the feature, but not willing to pay full price for it. Welcome to marketing, Porsche prices the performance in such a way as to maximize profit, as any business should. Maybe sometime in the future, they could offer a software defined Taycan (see my post above).

Last edited:
OP
OP
rs38

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
If Porsche was short on 300A ones and chose to install 600A in the front of Turbo cars,
why do you or the original author even consider this? everyone can check it with his $30 OBD dongle...
Porsche does not upgrade for free, they stop the ordering or manufacturing process until parts are back to normal. Or have you seen cars being equipped with PCCB because PSCB was short? ;)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
why do you or the original author even consider this? everyone can check it with his $30 OBD dongle...
Porsche does not upgrade for free, they stop the ordering or manufacturing process until parts are back to normal. Or have you seen cars being equipped with PCCB because PSCB was short? ;)
Maybe it’s like the steering columns and they install manual inverters instead of electronic inverters. 🤣

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I honestly don't know. Coming from Tesla world, I have in fact seen reported higher end parts used, such as a batch of S75D's cars shipped with 85KWh software locked batteries in Europe, or shipping performance drivetrains in Long Range Model 3's for some production window. I have not seen Porsche do that, but hypothetically they could. Perhaps they learn from Tesla that it's better to ship with less profit than not ship at all? Given the car market nosediving right now, Porsche might me wishing they shipped more cars during the peak demand, even if each car had less profit in it. Or maybe not, maybe they focus on margin over total profit, I don't know.

guess2098

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan GTS, 23 EQS580 SUV
Country flag
I don't think Porsche will use 600a on a 300a parts.
they make more turbo than turbo s that is for sure. lets says 600a is $100 more expensive than 300a. said 5,000 units of turbo build. that is $500,000 just blow away. unless they can't even get a 300a part within 6 mo. this is just very small assumption. if it is $300 or $1000 or $2000 more. we are talking about up to 10M lost. if I don't have 300a, I rather build more turbo s. business is all about making money, this is not just a dollar or two difference.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I'm now doing a 0-60 mph in 3 Seconds
And before?
You can't claim more power without showing actual data.
And to have usable data you have to be able to repeat the results at least twice (more is better).
I guess we'll never know.
Feelings lie, numbers don't. 😉
Sponsored