Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
And the bigger inverter makes the short 750HP boost at launch possible right? (+ more regen I guess)
Regen is battery limited (not motor or inverter limited).

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
To those commenting on the higher amp inverter and larger wiring are you 100% certain of this or is this what you have been told or read somewhere?
Yes, it's in the technical manuals. The front inverter is rated for almost double the current in Turbo S over Turbo. It might be that it's the same inverted with half the power transistors unpopulated, but still different hardware.

Tesla does this exact same thing with the Long Range vs the Performance models. They are the same thing (motor wise) and they will even sell you an OTA upgrade to bring the Long Range to the same performance as the Performance model for $2000 "Acceleration Boost"
No they do not. I've been driving and hacking Teslas for almost a decade now, including all Model S'es before the Plaid generation. Even in the early days when all Model 3's came with performance motors, Tesla never offered that software unlock at any price, though if you are a skilled hacker or know one you could pay, you could have unlocked those cars. This is no longer true today (it was only true for a very limited time window of production cars, same as 85KWh batteries in S75's - one batch was delivered in EU, Tesla also never offered to unlock, but hackers could).

For Tesla (similar to the different Taycan models) adding this does NOT make it a Performance model, as it is lacking the suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, spoiler, track mode, Tesla once claimed the Performance model received a larger rear motor but the "Acceleration Boost" provides the exact same 0-60 time so clearly this was just marketing and it doesn't "hurt" the car or the battery when everything is designed to handle the max from the start and they all share the same parts.
None of this is true. Care to provide a link to Tesla store where the Acceleration Boost can be purchased, or any link to any source which says how to purchase it?

I'd love to see different part numbers and/or a physically different inverter unit and/or thicker wiring compared to thinner between Taycan models if anyone can prove it.
From Porsche technicians' manual:
Porsche Taycan First true BEV tuning available? HGP-Turbo software for maximum battery performance / acceleration & raising Vmax speed limiter (for RS Etron-GT) 1671174321325

Note that Turbo front PE (Power Electronics) unit is 3.1kg lighter too, software doesn't weight that much.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also the Turbo S only has more power than the Turbo during launch control. That's it. The rest of the time the power is the same.
If it has upgraded hardware why can't it have that power all the time?

Again (to me) this just points to a software limit (on the Turbo) to upsell you on the Turbo S which is Porsche's entire model. I hate it, but I love Porsches so they get away with it lol.
Larger front power electronics on the Turbo S. My educated guess is they don't enable it all the time because it would reduce the lifetime of the battery. I suspect that is the primary reason why the overboost is locked down to launch mode only - to limit how often people use it. If it was available every time you put your foot down, it would be used orders of magnitude more often, and reduce battery lifespan, costing Porsche money in warranty coverage.

Note that for all EV's, even Teslas, it is well known that launches and fast DC charging is what causes the most battery wear. Tesla even had a "launch gate" when hackers have exposed that they had a counter for number of launches, and after some threshold they would reduce the max power of the car for the remainder of its life. Similar for DC charging, excessive charging can land you with limited max charging current or limited Vmax on the battery, which means not able to charge to the same SoC as before (the software will recalibrate and 100% will just be where say 85% was before).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I find it interesting they mention increasing the Vmax limit, but claim all protections are still in place. What Vmax are we talking about here, and why the limit was put in place by Porsche. A lot of limits are placed on parts to make them last. For example, I work with automotive companies which put chips in the cars like SoC's or memory chips, but run then at lower clock speeds and voltages than identical parts running in phones or tablets. Why? Because phones and tablets are expected to live a lot shorter than the car, so silicon manufacturers model the life of the chip differently, and if you only want 4 year lifespan you can in fact run it faster and get more performance out of the same chip. If you want it to last 12+ years, you need to de-rate it, not unlike aircraft engines by the way.

taycan_sportturismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 BMW 320i xDrive
No they do not. I've been driving and hacking Teslas for almost a decade now, including all Model S'es before the Plaid generation. Even in the early days when all Model 3's came with performance motors, Tesla never offered that software unlock at any price, though if you are a skilled hacker or know one you could pay, you could have unlocked those cars. This is no longer true today (it was only true for a very limited time window of production cars, same as 85KWh batteries in S75's - one batch was delivered in EU, Tesla also never offered to unlock, but hackers could).
Can you share more about this? What aspects of your cars did you hack? Were you able to get more performance out of them?

To add my $0.02, heat is the biggest enemy of EVs. As long as you manage your heat in the drive train, you can extract as much performance as you want. At this point, you become limited by the current the batteries can deliver and limits of inverter components (mainly MOSFETs).

Motors really don't care as long as you keep them cool. Even if you reached magnetic saturation (when the interacting magnets & motor windings stop providing additional torque even w/ more current into the windings), the main byproduct of that is heat which we're assuming is taken care of. After that, the last risk you run into is demagnetization of the permanent magnets from excess external magnetic field from the windings. Check out this informative thread on DIYElectricCar about a 210kW EV Yamaha race bike with a custom quad-stator axial motor for more tidbits. It's above my knowledge & well worth the read: https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/ripperton-electric-track-bike.41173/

And as discussed previously, the reason performance limits are put into place is to limit degradation and extend life of batteries, and limit physical degradation of drive train components. Really, this is a game of "How much additional performance can I get out of this car and retain a reasonable lifetime and reliability?"

Take the 2JZ or LS engines for example... overbuilt or stout components = reliability at obscene power levels.

PCASSOO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
Vivid has a Race Card Chip that essentially turns the 4S almost into a Turbo S for around $300.
I'm now doing a 0-60 mph in 3 Seconds.
Just took my car in for Codes being thrown because I disconnected my
12 V Battery.
Dealer said nothing about the Race Card Chip being in it.
The codes are now all cleared from the Steering Wheel Swap.
LOVING EVERYTHING NOW...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you share more about this? What aspects of your cars did you hack? Were you able to get more performance out of them?
I primarily focused on the MCU/IC, not as much on BMS or motors/inverters. I also never tweaked/tuned any performance characteristics, my hacking has been educational - I like to know how things work, how well they are protected from attacks (or how easily they can be hacked).

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Vivid has a Race Card Chip that essentially turns the 4S almost into a Turbo S for around $300.
I'm now doing a 0-60 mph in 3 Seconds.
Just took my car in for Codes being thrown because I disconnected my
12 V Battery.
Dealer said nothing about the Race Card Chip being in it.
The codes are now all cleared from the Steering Wheel Swap.
LOVING EVERYTHING NOW...
Where is this on their website?

taycan_sportturismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 BMW 320i xDrive
I primarily focused on the MCU/IC, not as much on BMS or motors/inverters. I also never tweaked/tuned any performance characteristics, my hacking has been educational - I like to know how things work, how well they are protected from attacks (or how easily they can be hacked).
Got it. I agree - I hate when things are behind a black box. I like to understand the inner workings of stuff and how I can improve them for my applications (like going fast!)
Sponsored