First U.S. Tesla Supercharger Location With Universal "Magic Dock" CCS Compatible Plug Potentially Discovered

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Apologies for the dumb question to hopefully be Taycan owner in May. What is preventing us with CSS to charge at Tesla chargers and superchargers using the adapter. I assume that the charger must identify the car as a Tesla in order to allow charging, is that correct?

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Apologies for the dumb question to hopefully be Taycan owner in May. What is preventing us with CSS to charge at Tesla chargers and superchargers using the adapter. I assume that the charger must identify the car as a Tesla in order to allow charging, is that correct?

Tesla super chargers are connected to a server on the back end that will verify vehicle VIN before beginning to charge.

Also, there is no acceptable Tesla to CCS adapter for high speed charging available as of yet that I know of. The TeslaTap or similar adaptors are for lower charge speed destination chargers.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Tesla super chargers are connected to a server on the back end that will verify vehicle VIN before beginning to charge.

Also, there is no acceptable Tesla to CCS adapter for high speed charging available as of yet that I know of. The TeslaTap or similar adaptors are for lower charge speed destination chargers.
+1 for this post

but it confuses me why people think the TeslaTap would work - if you just look at the TeslaTap it has _NO_ connectors for the fastDC pins on a CCS port - there is no way it would ever work.

what is stopping all CCS vehicles from using Supercharger network in North America is:
  • lack of an authorized physical adapter for the different shape plugs
    • protocol compatibility - once you have the physical plug issue dealt with you now have to have both the supercharger and the vehicle "speak" CCS - this is likely a software issue
  • lack of any physical hardware changes required to all existing superchargers in North America
    • roll out plan is unclear - will Tesla retrofit all superchargers? some? most? few? only-new locations? Urban? V1? V2? V3?
  • [plausible] lack of final software updates for the superchargers to recognize/support CCS vehicles - this is an internal roll out issue for Tesla
  • lack of the feature being "enabled" on the Supercharger's back end servers.
  • lack of enabled support for a non-Tesla to begin a charging session - likely scenario is that you'll use the Tesla app w/Tesla account to start/stop supercharging for non-Tesla's
  • there are probably more issues, but the list above is most likely the major issues
all that being said this is coming - but it will take time.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
There is no physical stall that has the magic docket yet.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
It’s a bit simpler with ‘public’ Tesla SuC over here in UK and Europe…

Authorisation is done using the Tesla app. You just input what stall/tombstone you’re at and away you go.

The SuC sites that have been opened up here are all V3 so they have just one CCS2 tethered cable that runs up to 250kW @ 400V.

If I’m charging my T at a V3 site I use a Tesla supplied CCS2 adapter - even though that’s effectively the de facto standard now - when my car was built 2017, the car only had a Tesla specific Mennekes Type 2 connector.

I’d doubt there’ll be any insolvable issues stateside and Canada - the hardest is convincing the dyed in the wool Teslarati you’re not an enemy of the state plugging in there 😅

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I’d doubt there’ll be any insolvable issues stateside and Canada - the hardest is convincing the dyed in the wool Teslarati you’re not an enemy of the state plugging in there 😅
[/QUOTE]

This.

I would rarely use a Tesla supercharger, unless I had too for an extreme case. I have no desire to interact with your average Model 3 owner. Not trying to be rude, but I had enough of that bull$hit in 2018 before the huge tidal wave of Model 3's started rolling out. I would be charging my Model X or Model S and have random people walk up and say they had ordered a Model 3 and expect me to engage them like long lost family. No more.

With EA locations opening up in eastern Montana and on I-80 in Wyoming, the only place where I would really need a charger is in between Albuqurque and Las Cruces in New Mexico. Francis Energy was awarded the state wide fast charging business for New Mexico's portion of the VW settlement, but they are even worse than Electrify America since they have made no progress in the 18 months the award was issued. If New Mexico were smart, they would rescind the bid and give it to Chargepoint or Electrify America. Heck, even EA has opened up 3 chargers in Arizona in remote locations in the past 6 months on behalf of Arizona Public Service.

Anyway, I am sure some people in parts of the country where Electrify America has yet to saturate highway routes are excited for Tesla to open up their network, but for me it is not a game changer. I am lucky to live in a state where we have more Electrify America chargers in one city than Electrify America has in a huge state like Texas. Anyway, it is always good to have redundancy in case there are EA issues.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
What I find interesting here is that this supercharger station is about 2 miles from the SpaceX HQ and the Tesla design center in Hawthorne. I wonder if the Tesla engineers in Hawthorne are doing some testing with non-Tesla EVs.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Teslas have been charging on ChaDeMo plugs for years and now have a CCS to Tesla adapter as well. I guess the Tesla Fanboys forget about the fact they have been able to use CCS chargers way before we will be invited to use TSuCrs.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Country flag
Can't wait for the Superchargers to open!

There's been a lot of discussion about this Magic Dock thing and cable length. Anything less than 4 extended length CCS cables per station will result in mayhem and a very bad look for Tesla. Hopefully they are smart about this.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Teslas have been charging on ChaDeMo plugs for years and now have a CCS to Tesla adapter as well. I guess the Tesla Fanboys forget about the fact they have been able to use CCS chargers way before we will be invited to use TSuCrs.
teslas using chademo chargers is not very common. why use a slower chademo unit when there are so many faster superchargers available. I had a chademo adaptor and I was thrilled to be able to sell it

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Anything less than 4 extended length CCS cables per station will result in mayhem and a very bad look for Tesla. Hopefully they are smart about this.
Mmmm. Good luck with that wish list 😅

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
No Tesla supechargers have a CCS adapter and there are no CCS adapters out there on the market that would work for Tesla fast charging, and if you see one advertised its a scam because there is no way for the Tesla chargers to handshake with the car and approve a charging session if Tesla hasn't even set up that capability yet. Is the Tesla charger just going to go "oh weird i dont recognize this car, eh have juice anyways why not ill just charge Elon's credit card" obviously not.

This move was done simply to get government funding to expand the network. I highly doubt Tesla is going to spend the time/money to retrofit the thousands of current supercharger stalls across north america for full CCS capability.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Country flag
Mmmm. Good luck with that wish list 😅
Not really a wishlist, just the minimum viable design.

A Taycan (or any front fender chargeport vehicle) will only reach if parked perpendicular to the typical back-in spaces, thus blocking other chargers. Lack of a standardized charge port location was a huge miss on the part of automakers.

If they're going to "open the network" as Elon said, they should be implementing the double cables as they are doing overseas. One charger per station will not be well received.
Sponsored