First U.S. Tesla Supercharger Location With Universal "Magic Dock" CCS Compatible Plug Potentially Discovered

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Not really a wishlist, just the minimum viable design.

A Taycan (or any front fender chargeport vehicle) will only reach if parked perpendicular to the typical back-in spaces, thus blocking other chargers. Lack of a standardized charge port location was a huge miss on the part of automakers.

If they're going to "open the network" as Elon said, they should be implementing the double cables as they are doing overseas. One charger per station will not be well received.
Yes I have first hand experience of it here 😎

By the way the two cables you see here (and elsewhere) on Tesla tombstones are a Mennekes Type 2 connector (for the original Tesla S and X) and a CCS2 connector (for Model 3 and Y and latterly retrospective for S and X)

These are 150kW V2 chargers and only one cable is ever active in a charge session. Not only that but the V2 generation are power-split with 2 stalls sharing a single SuC cabinet. So you're sharing a peak, best case 150kW cabinet output power with your neighbour.

The final thing is Tesla are 400V architecture only - you will be power limited to a max of 50 kW in a standard Taycan unless you have to 400-800V DC booster option fitted.

An awful lot of engineering and upgrades would need to happen to make Tesla SuC tombstones truly multi-headed with simultaneous charging from all connectors.

On the other hand adding another charging lead to the tombstone (or the "magic dock" in the US) with a different connector for them is pretty easy - they did it here in 2018/19 with all the existing V2 stations. V3 SuC sites here are 'just' one single standard lead & connector here - CCS2 - but higher output and not shared!
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
No Tesla supechargers have a CCS adapter and there are no CCS adapters out there on the market that would work for Tesla fast charging, and if you see one advertised its a scam because there is no way for the Tesla chargers to handshake with the car and approve a charging session if Tesla hasn't even set up that capability yet. Is the Tesla charger just going to go "oh weird i dont recognize this car, eh have juice anyways why not ill just charge Elon's credit card" obviously not.

This move was done simply to get government funding to expand the network. I highly doubt Tesla is going to spend the time/money to retrofit the thousands of current supercharger stalls across north america for full CCS capability.
but they are already doing it…this no longer a theory - they have announced new sites w/CCS support - and they have announced they are adding the "magicdock" to existing superchargers - so I think you are a bit pessimistic - are you opposed to a functional fast charging network?

or just blindly hate Elon?

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
but they are already doing it…this no longer a theory - they have announced new sites w/CCS support - and they have announced they are adding the "magicdock" to existing superchargers - so I think you are a bit pessimistic - are you opposed to a functional fast charging network?

or just blindly hate Elon?
Did they announce they're going to add the magic dock to existing superchargers? They haven't even announced anything about this "magic dock" it's all an accidental leak.

I'm only speaking from experience from Tesla's refusal to upgrade V2 superchargers to V3. And there are 2 brand new supercharger sites in Baton Rouge about to open up in the next 1-2 weeks where i live, and none of those have the "magic dock." So Tesla is continuing to roll out brand new supercharger stations without the dock. If they were intent on making all stations accessible, you'd think they'd already be building it out at new stations? Most V3 station stalls aren't even labeled either, 1A/1B, 2A/2B etc... like they are in europe, so clearly when these stations were planned out there was no future expectation they'd be used by anyone other than Tesla.

If I'm wrong and Tesla retrofits all the stations to everyone, then that'll be great. Do i expect it to happen though? No

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the thing with the magic dock is it's not that big of a retrofit - it's essentially an adapter that works with existing architecture…hawthorn has a magic dock on it..so it's no longer theory.

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
Not taking credit for having spotted this, but saw this posted on the F-150 Lighting site.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/superch...veals-magic-dock-ccs-compatibility-hawthorne/

hawthorne-supercharger-ccs-jpg.jpg
Hey Everyone.... Ok so I took a quick trip (1.7 miles from my work) to this Supercharger site. Not yet having owned an electric vehicle I'm far from an expert but a quick look at each of the 20 Superchargers on this site, in a Target Store's parking lot, I could not see any discernable difference between the chargers. All of them had just one cable and all appeared to be the normal tesla connector. Several of the stations were in use so I didn't all go creeper mode on them and do an up close inspection on each one as to not disturb or rile anyone up. There are also 2 Charge Point units there that I'm assuming had the CCS adapters. Soooooo..... it's very likely that the mention of CCS in the description has very little to do with the Tesla units and are more of an informative bit to let people know that there are CCS chargers there as well. Hope this helps..... and apologies if it crushes the hopes that some of you may have for CCS adaptation with Tesla at this site.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Hey Everyone.... Ok so I took a quick trip (1.7 miles from my work) to this Supercharger site. Not yet having owned an electric vehicle I'm far from an expert but a quick look at each of the 20 Superchargers on this site, in a Target Store's parking lot, I could not see any discernable difference between the chargers. All of them had just one cable and all appeared to be the normal tesla connector. Several of the stations were in use so I didn't all go creeper mode on them and do an up close inspection on each one as to not disturb or rile anyone up. There are also 2 Charge Point units there that I'm assuming had the CCS adapters. Soooooo..... it's very likely that the mention of CCS in the description has very little to do with the Tesla units and are more of an informative bit to let people know that there are CCS chargers there as well. Hope this helps..... and apologies if it crushes the hopes that some of you may have for CCS adaptation with Tesla at this site.

Appreciate you going all stealth mode and checking out the charger, but the linked article already mentioned there were no updates to the physical chargers.

The website leak is referencing that Tesla may have tipped their hand a little prematurely that this site may be one of the first to bring CCS compatible charging, once Telsa decides to roll that functionality out.

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
Appreciate you going all stealth mode and checking out the charger, but the linked article already mentioned there were no updates to the physical chargers.

The website leak is referencing that Tesla may have tipped their hand a little prematurely that this site may be one of the first to bring CCS compatible charging, once Telsa decides to roll that functionality out.
Yes I read that too but figured it was worth taking a look at them. I also was pointing out that the mention of CCS compatibility in the description is probably not Tesla tipping their hand at what's to come but merely a side note about CCS chargers being available.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/usa-white-house-all-can-charge-at-tesla-by-end-of-2022.11830/

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Tesla Supercharging will always be a last resort, back up charging option for me. I did a Scottdale run from Denver in my Cross Turismo last month, and am in the middle of a road trip to Houston in my Ford F-150 Lightning right now and have not encountered a single issue or delay at any of the 17 different Electrify America chargers in six states I have used in the past month while on the road trips.
Sponsored