Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Under considerable social pressure from @feye and @NC_Taycan , I launch(-controll)ed my car for the first time today after seven months of ownership. @NC_Taycan challenged me to report the first word I would utter while experiencing such a launch. In his case, it was "holy" followed by a shorter description of excrement. Having obliged today, I must say that my first and only word was as divine as his but I did not have the time to get to the digestive system. I just said "nondedju" in my native Flemish, which is a bastardization of the French "nom de Dieu". And I only have a 4S...

Being a scientist, I never saw any rational use of launch control and regarded it as a good-to-know-that-it-is-there feature without practical relevance such as top speed. I still think that it is magnificently irrelevant but would label it as a ThinkNothingFeelEverything experience where getting to 60 or 70 mph - objectively speaking not that fast - produces a visceral joy. In a way, it is the opposite of my ThinkEverythingFeelNothing experience in the Concorde which I flew once in the nineties at Mach 2 - objectively speaking extremely fast - without feeling a thing, visceral or otherwise.

What are other forum members' experiences with launch control? Is it a gimmick which wears thin after a couple of times? Or is it an integral part of the Taycan's lasting identity? Would a Taycan Turbo S launch even be comfortable?
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Under considerable social pressure from @feye and @NC_Taycan , I launch(-controll)ed my car for the first time today after seven months of ownership. @NC_Taycan challenged me to report the first word I would utter while experiencing such a launch. In his case, it was "holy" followed by a shorter description of excrement. Having obliged today, I must say that my first and only word was as divine as his but I did not have the time to get to the digestive system. I just said "nondedju" in my native Flemish, which is a bastardization of the French "nom de Dieu". And I only have a 4S...

Being a scientist, I never saw any rational use of launch control and regarded it as a good-to-know-that-it-is-there feature without practical relevance such as top speed. I still think that it is magnificently irrelevant but would label it as a ThinkNothingFeelEverything experience where getting to 60 or 70 mph - objectively speaking not that fast - produces a visceral joy. In a way, it is the opposite of my ThinkEverythingFeelNothing experience in the Concorde which I flew once in the nineties at Mach 2 - objectively speaking extremely fast - without feeling a thing, visceral or otherwise.

What are other forum members' experiences with launch control? Is it a gimmick which wears thin after a couple of times? Or is it an integral part of the Taycan's lasting identity? Would a Taycan Turbo S launch even be comfortable?
I have the Turbo S. Had the car a month and launched about a half dozen times. I love it. I would use it more but am very careful to only do it on secluded country roads with no potential of cross traffic. Probably too cautious.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
"Being a scientist, I never saw any rational use of launch control and regarded it as a good-to-know-that-it-is-there feature without practical relevance such as top speed."

There's your problem! ;) It's a Porsche - not everything related to the Porsche experience is rational. The DNA is racing and performance. Most people need a vehicle for A to B duties, nobody needs a Porsche.....

Have a great weekend sir! ?

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
"Being a scientist, I never saw any rational use of launch control and regarded it as a good-to-know-that-it-is-there feature without practical relevance such as top speed."

There's your problem! ;) It's a Porsche - not everything related to the Porsche experience is rational. The DNA is racing and performance. Most people need a vehicle for A to B duties, nobody needs a Porsche.....

Have a great weekend sir! ?
Guilty as charged…

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
I have taken 10+ petrolhead friends on rides in the last year.

I have a good road without any people, traffic, disruptions.
Just... perfect... for LC.

They're not stupid. They know what's coming. ish.
I always talk a little bit, pass the word over to them. Gently getting ready for LC. (It's so easy - that's what's fantastic!). As they talk, in the middle of their sentence... we go.

Back against the seat.
Head slamming on the headrest.
Eyes wide open.
*wide*
Gasping for air.

And then either "HERREJÄVLAR!!" or "SATAN" or "GODDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM".
We hit 200 in, what? 10 sec.

We both enjoy it immensely.
Haven't converted anyone yet. Matter of $$$.
But certainly have opened eyes to "the other side".

My point?

It's a nice to have.
It's a way of showing the potential in a very easy way.
It's fantastic to have.
It's a way to give myself 180+ bpm whenever I want.
Did I say nice to have? I mean essential to my welfare.

Have a good one, lads!

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
What a great post @Kingske! I've had my Turbo S for about a month. I've done launch control a handful of times. No words come out of my mouth, just uncontrollable giggles like a little child. Then my stomach comes back down out of my chest and I giggle some more.

It's not scientific, but it sure as hell is fun!

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have taken 10+ petrolhead friends on rides in the last year.

I have a good road without any people, traffic, disruptions.
Just... perfect... for LC.

They're not stupid. They know what's coming. ish.
I always talk a little bit, pass the word over to them. Gently getting ready for LC. (It's so easy - that's what's fantastic!). As they talk, in the middle of their sentence... we go.

Back against the seat.
Head slamming on the headrest.
Eyes wide open.
*wide*
Gasping for air.

And then either "HERREJÄVLAR!!" or "SATAN" or "GODDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM".
We hit 200 in, what? 10 sec.

We both enjoy it immensely.
Haven't converted anyone yet. Matter of $$$.
But certainly have opened eyes to "the other side".

My point?

It's a nice to have.
It's a way of showing the potential in a very easy way.
It's fantastic to have.
It's a way to give myself 180+ bpm whenever I want.
Did I say nice to have? I mean essential to my welfare.

Have a good one, lads!
This is the most happy text I have read during the entire COVID pandemic era. Thanks!!

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m in the same boat as you were. Going into my sixth month of ownership and still haven’t exercised LC.

I do think about it just about every time I hop in the car but that’s as far as it gets. This is gonna sound corny but it’s almost like proposing for marriage—you want to propose at some memorable place, or give her the biggest rock that can envelope her finger, or get on your knees… With LC, it’s like I get anxious or I’m waiting for the right moment to do it…. or maybe should just jump in with both feet and get it over with, or maybe I need the peer pressure you had to motivate me, or something.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I've used launch control 30+ times now. It's like a drug.

The first time I did a launch I gasped for air about 2 seconds in. It was some sort of natural reflex. I assume my brain though I was falling or something and couldn't figure out what was going on.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
When I took my teenage son and a friend for a trip on the LC ride, I told them to put their heads against the headrest. As is usual with teenage boys, they objected. I could have told them to continue breathing and that would have been an bad idea. My son's friend's reaction afterwards? "OK, I understand." As a bonus we did an LC start at a light before a nice graceful cloverleaf onto another highway. I showed them just how late into a turn you can brake (despite the 5000 lbs). My son's friend's comment as his sphincter tightened going into the turn (after LC): "OK, he's not slowing down yet..."

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@PT Addiction You're next - git r done. Find a stoplight. Irritate the people behind you by slowing down for a yellow. No more excuses or we're going to spam your TaycanForum notifications with mentions of shame...
Wow, the Speed Enforcer! Your last name must be Hamilton... :)

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@PT Addiction You're next - git r done. Find a stoplight. Irritate the people behind you by slowing down for a yellow. No more excuses or we're going to spam your TaycanForum notifications with mentions of shame...
That cuts deep.

But it's the nudge I need to let her rip as soon as I get a section of road to myself.

Last edited:

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Wow, the Speed Enforcer! Your last name must be Hamilton... :)
Depends on whether he's about to blame his family for any tickets.

Wish I was in Monaco for the GPs every year.
Sponsored