psglas

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Audi RS4, Defender 90
Country flag
I've just taken delivery of a CT4, after driving a Taycan 4S for 12 month but I traded that back in July as I got a good offer given the supply issues. I'm trying to get to grips with charging again as I didn't ever figure out the best approach first time around. I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to get a view from people with the latest software.

Basically, I have cheap electricity (Octopus Go), circa 5p per kwh from 00:30 to 04:30. I don't use the car daily so don't need it at a specifc charge level each day. I just want to leave it plugged in to get 28kWs each night at the cheap rate. Even if it's at 5%, I want it to wait until 00:30 and just charge for 4 hours.

Option 1 : I have an Andersen chrage and can programme it to switch on at 00:30 and off at 04:30. With no charging profiles set the car will take a charge for 4 hours but it then gets a charging error and won't charge the next night. You need to unplug and plug in each day. Same happened with the 4S.

Option 2: Setup a charging profile and switch off the Andersen schedule but AFAIK when I tried this with the 4S, if it was below 25%, it would start charging immediately.

Anyone managed to crack this ?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I've just taken delivery of a CT4, after driving a Taycan 4S for 12 month but I traded that back in July as I got a good offer given the supply issues. I'm trying to get to grips with charging again as I didn't ever figure out the best approach first time around. I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to get a view from people with the latest software.

Basically, I have cheap electricity (Octopus Go), circa 5p per kwh from 00:30 to 04:30. I don't use the car daily so don't need it at a specifc charge level each day. I just want to leave it plugged in to get 28kWs each night at the cheap rate. Even if it's at 5%, I want it to wait until 00:30 and just charge for 4 hours.

Option 1 : I have an Andersen chrage and can programme it to switch on at 00:30 and off at 04:30. With no charging profiles set the car will take a charge for 4 hours but it then gets a charging error and won't charge the next night. You need to unplug and plug in each day. Same happened with the 4S.

Option 2: Setup a charging profile and switch off the Andersen schedule but AFAIK when I tried this with the 4S, if it was below 25%, it would start charging immediately.

Tricks question.
Only way I can see this working is also a daily routine. When you plug in calculate the needed energy you can put into the battery in the time you have available. Then estimate the charge level this will get and set a timer to finish at 4.30 at that charge level. If not used during the next day you will have to do a similar exercise.
Not what you wanted to hear but I do not find any other way of doing this.

kl98cwg

First Name
DF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag

I have Octopus Go and an Ohme charger as I thought that combination would do the job, but after similar issues with charging errors the closest I could get to this was using the car settings:

Profile: configured with a minimum charge level of 25% (unfortunately you can’t set it lower) and preferred charging time of 00:30 - 04:30
Timer: configured with a departure time of 04:30, repeating daily, target charge level 85% (or whatever) and precool/heat off

If the car is at less than 25% when you plug in then it will immediately charge up to that level and pause, which I don’t think you can avoid (I personally can’t recall ever plugging in at home when it is less than 25%!); after that it will make use of the cheaper tariff between 0:30 and 4:30.

Seems to work for me!

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I have Octopus Go and EO Mini Pro 2. Taycan is set to the General profile, and the EO Mini Pro 2 is set to be active between 00:30 to 04:30, and never missed a beat.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I thonk the OP is asking whether the car can just be left plugged to the charger for a number of days and each day it will charge from 00:30 to 04:30 then stop......then continue the next night if more charge needed?

The immediate charge if below 25% is a separate issue. Just assume that will happen unless you change the setting in the car - but can only be higher.

I think with my EVSE (Sync EV) once it finishes the charge it says it must be disconnected before a new charge can be started.
However this isn't strictly true.......

I always let the car do the timers and leave the charger in 'dumb' mode.
I have had it complete an overnight charge and then pressed Direct Charge on the Porsche app and it has started charging again.
But I've never left it untouched for more than one night to see what happens.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Only use the features of the car and disable everything in your EVSE.

Create a profile and a daily timer to cover the charging period and window of operation.

Minimum charge can't be reduced below 25% but charging will pause once this threshold has been reached and control passed to the daily timer.

Look upon the minimum charge setting as an emergency measure in case you need to go somewhere unexpectedly (whether you have access to other vehicles or not).

Timers and profiles have not changed since launch so don't expect different behaviour.

Weston

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have Octopus Go and an Ohme charger as I thought that combination would do the job, but after similar issues with charging errors the closest I could get to this was using the car settings:

Profile: configured with a minimum charge level of 25% (unfortunately you can’t set it lower) and preferred charging time of 00:30 - 04:30
Timer: configured with a departure time of 04:30, repeating daily, target charge level 85% (or whatever) and precool/heat off

If the car is at less than 25% when you plug in then it will immediately charge up to that level and pause, which I don’t think you can avoid (I personally can’t recall ever plugging in at home when it is less than 25%!); after that it will make use of the cheaper tariff between 0:30 and 4:30.

Seems to work for me!
Really? I have the same set up and it works a treat. Plug the car in at night, it initially gets a charging error (same thing happened with my Ipace) but then when the charger comes to life in the early hours everything works perfectly.

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Really? I have the same set up and it works a treat. Plug the car in at night, it initially gets a charging error (same thing happened with my Ipace) but then when the charger comes to life in the early hours everything works perfectly.
ditto - works really well for me. (Octopus and Ohme with a Taycan)

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Yes it’s cracked. I’m on the same rate and (as shown by other members) you need to set a profile AND timer so charging is between the preferred times. Nothing needed at the wall charger. Just two things to cover though: a) if you have set max charge to - say - 85% then then you need to re-charge when the car gets to around 60%. This is because you need a charge amount that can be reache in the 4 hour slot. The silly PORSCHE SYSTEM works on the finish time (in this case 4:30), and will ignore the start time if a longer time is needed to reach. Your set 85%
b) if you have the standard 7.4kW single phase charger work on the 25% needed charge. So if you are at, let’s say, 40% charge in the car, then change the timer profile from 85% to 40% + 25% = 65% and plug in for day one. Then the next day change it back to 85% and it will charge from 65% to 85%, all within the 4 hour low rate slots. If you don’t it will start charging before 12:30 so it reaches 85% by 4:30.

until Porsche improve the software, this is the workaround I’m using.

kl98cwg

First Name
DF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
As you say, you get charging errors - I’m more comfortable not getting errors :)
I’m interested to know what you set the car for when using the Ohme to control charging. I guess you don’t have any charging timer configured, but do you have a charging profile and, if so, do you keep “Direct Charging” enabled all the time?

Weston

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 Taycan 4s
Country flag
As you say, you get charging errors - I’m more comfortable not getting errors :)
I’m interested to know what you set the car for when using the Ohme to control charging. I guess you don’t have any charging timer configured, but do you have a charging profile and, if so, do you keep “Direct Charging” enabled all the time?
Ah, I see where you are coming from.

I don’t do anything to the car, no profile etc. just plug and play.

I will see what happens if I set a profile which matches the Ohme charge times.

Gotti

First Name
Gotti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Yes it’s cracked. I’m on the same rate and (as shown by other members) you need to set a profile AND timer so charging is between the preferred times. Nothing needed at the wall charger. Just two things to cover though: a) if you have set max charge to - say - 85% then then you need to re-charge when the car gets to around 60%. This is because you need a charge amount that can be reache in the 4 hour slot. The silly PORSCHE SYSTEM works on the finish time (in this case 4:30), and will ignore the start time if a longer time is needed to reach. Your set 85%
b) if you have the standard 7.4kW single phase charger work on the 25% needed charge. So if you are at, let’s say, 40% charge in the car, then change the timer profile from 85% to 40% + 25% = 65% and plug in for day one. Then the next day change it back to 85% and it will charge from 65% to 85%, all within the 4 hour low rate slots. If you don’t it will start charging before 12:30 so it reaches 85% by 4:30.

I've been looking for this explanation. Thank you. I'll try this. The set up is bonkers don't get why they can't keep it simple

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I've been looking for this explanation. Thank you. I'll try this. The set up is bonkers don't get why they can't keep it simple
It’s not as hard as you would think to change the max charge limit. I just go into the timer using the Porsche Connect application on my phone. Drop it down to 70% for the first night charge, then back to 85% for the second night. If you don’t use the car it can stay plugged in over the couple of days. It might be a work-around, but you do get the benefit of 5p kW/h for all the charging.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag

So on the bigger battery with a usable 83.4kw and the Porsche Mobile Plus which typically gives me about 6.8kw then over 4 hours I should be able to add about 32% in one night say 30% for ease and margin of error?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
So on the bigger battery with a usable 83.4kw and the Porsche Mobile Plus which typically gives me about 6.8kw then over 4 hours I should be able to add about 32% in one night say 30% for ease and margin of error?
Yes.... I set my minimum charge to 55%, with a target of 85% between 00:30 and 04:30 and it manages it.

It may or may not do it from 50% SoC depending on ambient temperature etc.

👍
Sponsored