lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Between point A and B (100 Miles) I start getting a message about a tire pressure warning. We were on the highway.

I stopped at a gas station and evaluate the damage. The inside of the tire had a big puncture and because of the location, I was not able to use any repair plugs (I always have tire repair plugs in my cars). I filled up with the full bottle of sealant and fill up with air to 45 psi. Went back on the road with peace of mind as I have the Porsche portable tire inflator available. After 10 minutes the pressure went back down and stop at another gas station and refill with air. I said not a big deal, I can stop every 15 minutes and refill with air.

Went back on the road and at 20 PSI I stopped and pull out the 12V tire inflator. The inflator was not working, was dead, and not usable.

I called Porsche assistance and require a tow truck. 30 minutes later I got a text message telling me they can’t find any. I waited 60 minutes and call them back. Still can’t find any truck.

I called AAA and 45 minutes all the family traveling 80 miles back home in a tow truck.

I brought the car on Monday morning at Porsche as I have tire insurance. No luck, no identical tire are available from any tire supplier. 5 days later still waiting for a replacement tire. Next week I may have to replace 2 of the tires from another brand. I just do not want to pay for 4 tires. They said they found one in an other Porsche Dealer.

The story here is to make sure your tire inflator work. Read the manual on how to fill up the sealant. Just get ready when it happens to you.
Sponsored

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag

Going from Lisbon to the Algarve on a Sunday. Kid just got out of the hospital after a surgery. 43C high summer. Suddently rear right tire bursts on the highway.

I pull to the side, check the tire. Cut wide open. My sealant and compressor look ridiculous in my hands. Call insurance which dispatches tow and taxi. They take an hour. Tow takes us to a village in the middle of nowhere. The only tire shop there is about to close. They don't have the right size of tire. They don't have those universal spares.

Tow and taxi do what they have to do. Take me, my family and car 200km until home. Whole ordeal took 4h

I ordered the optional spare bicycle tire the next day. Never needed it again but it's a peace of mind.

I get that nowadays nobody changes tires but let's be honest. That sealant is pretty useless unless you have a nail induced flat and the sealant is still valid.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
This is one reason i run a set of winters and summers - then have a backup if needed.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
You can always go runflats and lose comfort
spare, carlift, tools are are needed to switch, which most of the time is not the best experience for your car. Do you know where to lift your Taycan? Without incurring damage on it’s bottom?
in a shop they lift at 4 point, on the road only one, uneven pressure at the wrong single place is bent bottom.

Taycan2023y

First Name
Sandeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Can we change to run flats ? It is something I’m dreading as I wait to collect my new car.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Aren't runflats noisy as hell and limited to 80km distance before risk of total failure?

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Yes and yes
Sponsored