For enthusiasts not too tired of looking at someone else's build….

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hope this isn't a rude question but how good is it?

I have been an audiophile for over 50 years and my main stereo cost more than the Taycan but I mainly listen to classical music and almost all of that has too big a dynamic range to enjoy in any car system I have heard so far - the quiet bits get lost in background noise and the loud bits are beyond any system's capacity to play properly I have heard yet.

Normally I just end up listening to a compressed-for-radio classical music channel, which is not bad in the car (but absolutely appallingly bad on the home system) rather than my own music files.
I would be concerned to pay much extra for Classic FM only listening...
Have you compared the lossless classical music streaming service Idagio with FM radio? Although, as others have posted, we do not know what losses occur in the analog/digital conversions between the streaming service on your phone and the car's audio system. Also consider that the Taycan provides a much quieter cabin than pretty much any other car, particularly if you specify the noise and thermally insulated glass. In my opinion, the combination of lossless streaming and an unusually quiet cabin makes the Burmester system a worthwhile upgrade.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Have you compared the lossless classical music streaming service Idagio with FM radio? Although, as others have posted, we do not know what losses occur in the analog/digital conversions between the streaming service on your phone and the car's audio system. Also consider that the Taycan provides a much quieter cabin than pretty much any other car, particularly if you specify the noise and thermally insulated glass. In my opinion, the combination of lossless streaming and an unusually quiet cabin makes the Burmester system a worthwhile upgrade.
It is the potential quietness of the cabin that makes me think it may be worthwhile but haven't seen any measurements of how much quieter it is than an IC engined car.
IME here in the UK it is often road noise which dominates cruising on the motorway anyway.

With a high background noise compressed (I mean here dynamic compression not file compression) sounds better - or at least all of it can be heard - whereas on a good system at home the opposite is true IME.

I have tried all sorts of recordings over the last 40 years in cars and a good classical music recording has always lost the quiet bits in background noise and been unable to play the loud bits.

It basically follows the science. If the level is high enough for the quiet bits to be audible over the noise the crescendi would be loud enough to damage hearing if prolonged, even if the system could achieve it which maybe the Burmester can!

If I listen to rock music in the car I have a tendency to drive faster...