For the people who have tried both options, how much did I screw up by not speccing Rear Axle Steering?

MonkeyEsq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a 4S as my first Porsche and I admittedly did not do as much research as I should have into the options and got a vehicle without RAS. I saw a 4S in the color (Gentian Blue) and wheels (Spyder), I wanted, and just went full steam ahead not looking at anything else.

The car does feel heavy, but it still drives great. I was scouring the web and I noticed people say it's a must have. For the people who have actually tried both, how much am I missing out on?
Sponsored

Last edited:

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have a 4S as my first Porsche and I admittedly did not do as much research as I should have into the options and got a vehicle without RAS. I saw a 4S in the color (Gentian Blue) and wheels (Spyder), I wanted, and just went full steam ahead not looking at anything else.

The car does feel heavy, but it still drives great. I was scouring the web and I noticed people say it's a must have. For the people who have actually tried both, how much am I missing out on?
I have RAS. I had a loaner twice without. The difference is obvious. The loaner had a heavier steering feel. I got used to it after a few hours. Parking was no problem.

Do you have power steering plus? You can order it as function on demand.

you will be fine. Enjoy your car.

OP
OP

MonkeyEsq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have RAS. I had a loaner twice without. The difference is obvious. The loaner had a heavier steering feel. I got used to it after a few hours. Parking was no problem.

Do you have power steering plus? You can order it as function on demand.

you will be fine. Enjoy your car.
I do have Power Steering Plus. Oh well, now I know for next time, thanks.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
I tested with and w/o extensively. The RAS has only two advantages:

1. when driving relatively slow in cities, narrow roads, parking garages etc.
2. when driving fast it stabilizes the car and also improves handling significantly.

It doesn't do anything if you're not driving.

If the latter scenario is your main use case, DON'T BUY IT! ;-)

Kidding, I was so impressed. Bought it.
Actually along with all other ride-improving features (PDCC, …) Awesome!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I have RAS (coming up to a year with it) and have had a good few hours in demonstrators that didn't have it. IMO, RAS is a nice-to-have- slightly improved manoeuvrability and handling- but is by no means a must-have. The Taycan is a great car even without RAS (as you probably already know, it's still fine on tight and twisty roads and parking situations and is by no means the barge that some people suggest it would be without RAS).

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I'm still getting used to the dimensions of my Taycan. I'm getting there slowly but I'm able to park in narrower and narrower spots every day. Mind that I'm in Europe where narrow streets and tiny parking spots are the norm. The Taycan always fills a full spot. Sometimes it's actually wider. It's a learning curve.

I don't have RAS. I believe it makes the car more maneuverable but in my case, the learning is about the dimensions of the car and not about being able to steer it into whatever position. Decades of practice with that.

What I've been realizing is that the cameras and 360 views are to be used as complementation. Not as your primary mean to park. They're a bit confusing so the trick for me is to park traditionally and only look at the cameras to confirm certain angles and distances.

I assume that in the States you have much wider roads and parking spots. I only see advantages for RAS in high speed cornering etc.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I have it, but to be honest, I doubt I would notice if you suddenly took it away. It only turns like 4 degrees. But I’ve never driven a car without it.

The car is so heavy so it will never handle like a 911.

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
My taycan has RAS and while I have not driven a taycan without my comparison comes from a Pan Turbo that had PDCC. Biggest difference I see is when backing into parking spots. In the beginning I would almost always over steer and end up crooked in the spot. I have also noticed that when doing very high speed turns that it feels like the rear of the car is slipping but it's not (at least I don't think it is). I don't hear tire screeching or lose control but the rear end definitely feels like its sliding. I am contributing that to RAS but it's unconfirmed.
Anyone experience that?

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Return it and get one with RAS! :devil:

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
We have a Cayenne with RAS and bought the Taycan without it. Turning radius seems just as tight as the Cayenne. Handling is great “as is.” Don’t miss it.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
…..bottom line, if you have not got it and never had it on another car (RAS)…..then nay bother, you won’t miss it 😉

My advice it not to waste your time thinking of what you should of spec’d because of other’s opinion, just enjoy what you have and as the months/years go by, just make a list of this you would like to add next time based on your experience……..

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am a racing car designer and specced it for the toe-out into slow corners and toe-in at high speed to aid stability.
It was an engineer’s choice, I will rarely profit from its sophisticated vehicle dynamics assistance as a driver. I don’t do track days.
Also the standard car’s 5 link rear suspension with rubber bushes is designed as a passive way to achieve the high speed and lift off stability (absent from pre-993 911s)!

I do notice a very good turning circle which is good for the mini-roundabouts around where I live and turning into my drive.

Ironically I probably will only gain from the vehicle dynamics benefit it was designed for swerving around potholes but gain every day from its side effect of tighter turning at low speed.

I wouldn’t bother at all not having it for normal driving.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I have also noticed that when doing very high speed turns that it feels like the rear of the car is slipping but it's not (at least I don't think it is). I don't hear tire screeching or lose control but the rear end definitely feels like its sliding. I am contributing that to RAS but it's unconfirmed.
Anyone experience that?
No, not on road or track (maybe I have the car's stability & traction management systems to thank for that). While RAS is intended to improve stability in high-speed corners, I guess that if you go fast enough, the rear will still slide.

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I don't have it and I don't feel I missed anything except I save the cost for it !!! I truly enjoy my 4S without it and the driving of the Taycan without it is totaly superb.

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Cayenne E Hybrid, ‘23 Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I only have RAS because it came as part of the Performance Pack here in the US, wouldn't have spec'd it otherwise. It was "cheaper" to get the package as I wanted PDCC and PTV+, than to option them separately. I do notice it helps with tight turning areas, but have never found t a necessary option, as some others do.
Sponsored