DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
Hello everyone. I wanted to share some first impressions after one week of ownership. First, a little background. Eight years ago I bought an early generation (15,365th)Tesla Model S and have driven it for 165,000 miles with much success. Very little maintenance except the tires that seem to need replaced every 12,000 miles. As Tesla’s grew in popularity, they seemed to be everywhere here in Charlotte. I’d pulled up to an intersection and there would be one on every corner, especially as the Model 3’s grew in popularity. I was ready for something new, especially as Tesla didn’t update the Model S body style and although, it still looks good, I was tired of how it looked.

After doing a ton of research and watching every YouTube video ever made on the Taycan, in May of last year, I decided to purchase. I contacted Hendrick Porsche here in Charlotte and was able to secure a July allocation for an August delivery. Then came agonizing over all the options and colors. I finally decided on a dolomite silver 4S. I selected some options, that I’d come to second guess while waiting for the car, but once receiving I’m ecstatic how the car looks. My car finally went into production in July, but then sat, for some explained reason, and never completed production until December.

Every night before I went to bed, I read this forum and the people who also had lost July cars commiserated with me, but here’s the punchline...it also majorly freaked me seeing all the issues that my fellow forum members where having. I doubted the decision and half expected my car to arrive with no heat, alarm issues, PCM glitches and throwing other alarms every few miles. I know that I’m only a week in, but I wanted to share my experience after 350 miles and in the event anyone else was worried as they await delivery. This has been my experience...

Pros:
  1. The car‘s software has been bulletproof since I’ve taken delivery. I received the ‘activate’ email one day prior to when I was to take delivery and activated my MyPorsche account. When I got to the dealership, the set up was effortless and took less than five minutes.
  2. The PCM software is definitely a work in progress and the UI is no where close to the Tesla one, however, I used the PCM simulator a few month before I got the car and felt amazingly comfortable from day one. If you’re waiting, I’d highly recommend using the simulator a bit before taking delivery as it will help a great deal when you get in the car. Here is the link... https://your-digital-co-pilot.com/en
  3. As many have said, sitting in the car the first time, was truly remarkable. The cockpit design is amazing and the build quality of the interior far exceeded my expectations. I’ve had a Cayenne eHybrid in the past and Porsche has definitely upped its game.
  4. I did not upgrade from the standard leather and was worried about that, but the standard black seats are really nice and I’m incredibly happy with them. I have the premium package that came with the 14 way seats and they are very comfortable and adjust every way that I could imagine. Not sure what additional the 18 way gets you, but the standard 14 way are amazing.
  5. I ordered the Paldao wood trim and again, was second guessing the decision, but I love it. I think it makes the cabin more rich looking and the wood against the black interior makes a striking combination. The configurator pictures don’t do it justice and are much lighter than reality.
  6. First drive was shear bliss. The 4S is wicked fast without being nausea inducing. A friend of my has a Plaid and it takes about an hour to recover after launching. I didn’t upgrade to rear wheel steering or any of the suspension additions, but the I’m really impressed with the the steering and suspension especially in Sportplus mode.
  7. One addition I would highly recommend is the sports crono package. I could live with or without the clock, but having the drive mode selector on the steering wheel is amazingly handy and I actually have been driving in sports plus most of the time. Can’t imagine going into the menus to change drive mode.
  8. I know I might get panned for this one, but I love the sport sound too. Coming from the Tesla after eight years, it is so nice to have some engine noise and I think it sounds fantastic. It’s really unique in the market and driving trough a parking lot with it on definitely gets a lot of looks.
  9. The car itself is just beautiful as you all know. I got the front PPF wrapped and full ceramic and want to try and protect it as long as possible. It gets a ton of thumbs ups, and smiles. It’s just a beautiful car all around.
  10. I ordered the Mission E wheels and think the wheels make the car. I didn’t paint match them and the silver looks good with the dolomite. The tires are massive and I dread thinking about what replacements will cost. The dealer tried to sell me a $3,800 wheel insurance package, I opted against it. On a negative note, the car came with Goodyear Eagles. I was hoping for Michelin Pilot Sports and when I change them, will definitely switch to Michelin’s as I’ve had good success with those on the Model S.
  11. One splurge that I probably didn’t need, but happy that I got is the PCCB’s in yellow. It was an expensive option, but I love the look of those massive calipers behind the Mission E wheels.
  12. Plug and charge seems to work well so far...no issues at all.
  13. I’ve done 12 OTA software updates and they all worked smoothly with no issues.
  14. I love these all too and they work really well: Apple CarPlay, smart lift, the interior LED lights, homelink, Bose stereo...
Cons:
  1. The Porsche Connect / My Porsche app is complete garbage. I’ve tried them both and I’d say conservatively, it is able to connect to the car about 10% of the time. Forgot the really limited functionality, if you can’t connect to the car, it does no good. I’m really hoping this improves over time as it’s not good right now. It think for an EV where it’s a necessity to monitor charge level, this is a requirement and I hope they get it sorted quickly.
  2. I’m not sure about range yet. I upgraded to the 93 kilowatt battery and when I charge to 85%, it says I have 176 miles of range. My Model S that’s 8 years old changes to 202 at 85% and it’s only an 85 kilowatt battery. Now maybe the Taycan‘s 176 is really 176 and Tesla’s 202 is 150, but with the bigger battery, I was expecting to see more range out of the gate. Again, too early to tell. Having had a BEV for a long time, I don’t really worry about range as I plug in at night and she’s topped off in the morning, but it is curious.
  3. I hate the fact that the Taycan doesn’t lock and shut down automatically if you walk away with the key. After having the Tesla so long I got used to just putting the car in park and walking away. It powered down and locked automatically as it should. I’m constantly doing that with the Taycan and the car power stays on and it doesn’t lock. Yesterday I took my son to Panaera for lunch. Came out car was unlocked and fully powered. Now, I don’t think you can drive without the key present, but having to remember to power down the car and then actually use the key to lock it is a drag and is definitely going to require some reprogramming on my part.
  4. Need the forum help here. How in the world do you clean the inside of the rear window? Mine is dirty and the slope of the window and high shelf make it impossible to clean. Any suggestions would be helpful...
  5. This isn’t a Porsche thing, but I installed a Nexar Pro camera which uses WiFi to connect to my phone so the only way that I can use CarPlay is a wired connection. Incidentally, I purchased the ProClip Taycan phone holder for the rail and it works incredible well. I paired it with a magnet that I got on amazon and the phone is right at my finger tips.
  6. Because of the chip shortage, only receive one key and inductive phone charger doesn’t work, but again, don’t really need it.
I hope, for those of you waiting, these comments were helpful and happy to answer any question. I had a ton, but I’m so unbelievably happy with the purchase and you will be too. For me the waiting was so difficult, but happy to finally be behind the wheel!!!

A945FE7D-4E7A-4CF7-9F36-6B4F8BF354C6.jpeg

84D1EEA4-57AE-4AD0-8BFB-7C1E37C877F3.jpeg

BCE79CDC-EFDE-4A9C-AE8A-CE38DFE89F59.jpeg
Thanks for sharing your experience. Great spec too; the Mission-e wheels look just right with your configuration.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Mine does. I’d actually like to figure out how to keep the car on after locking so I can keep dogs or a kid in there with climate and music while I run into a store/restaurant to pickup an order.
Use the preheat/cool function for this via the app Won't enable PCM however.

Odd you can lock with power still on - must be a US feature.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I believe this is configurable via the PCM, because my car does not behave this way.
I can't see an option in the PCM to enable / disable this.

I have the comfort locking option.

Not mentioned in PGTK App either.

From a safety point of view I think it's good I can't lock the car when powered on.

There may be region specific features that provide this but I can't see why for obvious reasons.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I'm not even close to waiting for delivery - still waiting an allocation for over half a year now. Thanks @Bajas21 for the link, though I hope the real PCM is more reliable than the simulator. Here is what I got when I went to the link.
Porsche Taycan For those awaiting delivery, my experience after my first week... 1642412403218

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm not even close to waiting for delivery - still waiting an allocation for over half a year now. Thanks @Bajas21 for the link, though I hope the real PCM is more reliable than the simulator. Here is what I got when I went to the link.
1642412403218.png
Yep - they broke it at the weekend. It may be "undergoing maintenance" - perhaps coloured PCM 6.x enhancements as have been leaked in the confuserator option pictures.

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
I hope, for those of you waiting, these comments were helpful and happy to answer any question. I had a ton, but I’m so unbelievably happy with the purchase and you will be too. For me the waiting was so difficult, but happy to finally be behind the wheel!!!
Really helpful. I do like reading the experiences of owners - particularly the good ones, otherwise the forum does end up being over biased on the negative.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Yep - they broke it at the weekend. It may be "undergoing maintenance" - perhaps coloured PCM 6.x enhancements as have been leaked in the confuserator option pictures.
If they are planning to be successful with connected cars and agile OTA updates, Porsche needs to learn how to software updates without bringing down services.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If they are planning to be successful with connected cars and agile OTA updates, Porsche needs to learn how to software updates without bringing down services.
Agreed but much of what we've seen to this point (apps etc) have been 3rd partied. I see they now have a group (VW) agreement with Microsoft for cloud services but not clear how that relates to the current software / app offerings.

Porsche will succeed regardless such is the desirability of their products but they'll never be a competent provider of software for some time to come.

Pretty sure also that OTA for 'everything' is not coming to the brand any time soon given the lack of standards and myriad of vendors in the Porsche / VAG supply chain. Personally, cometh that day I would disable OTA and rely on dealer campaigns to update.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Congrats on your new wheels, she's a bute! Nice write up. My experience to yours is very similar.

One other suggestion for your "walk away and lock" situation: I'm not sure if this is because I have comfort access (not sure if you do), but I don't power my car off when I get out, I just touch the little groove on the door handle. This locks the car and powers it off. I never ever use the key, I just have it in my pocket.
Almost same here.
But I switched it off and then I touch "the little groove" twice... so alarm won't start making noise....

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Nice write up OP.

Cleaning rear window question....

I ended up using a (new) floor mop thingy with a swivel head on the end of a handle and doing it from the front seat.

It hasn't worked.
?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I wonder why lol!
Yes.... It was a stupid idea ?

However the back window has still got some marks on it (suckers / stickers?) which like the OP I find annoying when looking in the mirror.

I should know this - but do the back seats fold down and the parcel shelf come out? If so, I will do that and get in the boot with some glass cleaner and a micro fibre cloth.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes.... It was a stupid idea ?

However the back window has still got some marks on it (suckers / stickers?) which like the OP I find annoying when looking in the mirror.

I should know this - but do the back seats fold down and the parcel shelf come out? If so, I will do that and get in the boot with some glass cleaner and a micro fibre cloth.
Seats fold but the shelf doesn't move - permanently fixed - hence the challenge.
Sponsored