HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
Same here. But then I remind myself the P85D I leased was 125k, and nowhere near to how the Taycan looks like. Please post your impression after the test-drive.
I was impressed.

First what I think Tesla does better: I think Tesla's nav/tech screen is better in the model 3. Way more intuitive and basically the same as having an ipad for nav, etc...compared to Porsche's. The backup camera is dreadful on the Porsche, crystal clear on the Tesla. More trunk space on the Model 3 even though I think it's a smaller car.

What Taycan does better: Everything else. Which, let's be honest, it should for double the price. Buttons are a good thing for lots of features. The driving dynamics are so much better. Suspension keeps the car flat around turns, yet absorbs bumps better than the Model 3.

I'll be honest and say that if I wasn't pretty well off, I'd stick with my Model 3 Performance. It gets you 80% of the way there for 50% of the money. But if you want the best, and you really enjoy driving, the Taycan is it. You feel like a Driver God while in this car. Anyone can be dusted off the line. Cornering on rails. And of course, it looks amazing. It's tough to put a value on that.

Anyway, I put a deposit down on a Turbo S.
Sponsored

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Model 3 Performance. It gets you 80% of the way there for 50% of the money. But if you want the best, and you really enjoy driving, the Taycan is it. You feel like a Driver God while in this car. Anyone can be dusted off the line. Cornering on rails. And of course, it looks amazing. It's tough to put a value on that.

Anyway, I put a deposit down on a Turbo S.
That's always the situation with cars. I put 40k in performance upgrades into an M5 that already stickered close to 120k. A highschool kid with a used 335 he got for 15k could put another 5 into it and double my horsepower. There is always a less expensive option to get performance. But we like our creature comforts and peripherals like handling and quiet cabins.

In my mind, the only thing I give Tesla the edge on is the software flexibility. I actually don't like a giant ipad on the dash. I've kind of gotten used to it in my wife's X and it doesn't bother me but I think it looks bad in the model3 - personal preference. But their ability to remotely pull logs and diagnose is pretty dang impressive but itself. Then add they can push a fix in real-time? When they did that for us it was a major WOW moment. Their mobile service is good too. But otherwise it's an F in every category (which is why we look forward to selling the model X). And honestly my negative taste is largely how expensive the Model X is. I think Model 3 is going to dominate in their price class.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
And of course, it looks amazing. It's tough to put a value on that.
I had a deposit on a 3 when it first came out as a graduation gift for one of my kids. But they could just over the looks. I know it is a personal preference, but they said the front looked like a VW Beetle mated with a frog. Now whenever we see one on the road, I just hear "ribbit".

I know, I know, plenty of people like that look and the single screen, but it was a hard no for us.

Got a 3 year lease on a Bolt and a bunch of Apple stock instead. That worked out well ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
TaycanNJ

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
That's always the situation with cars. I put 40k in performance upgrades into an M5 that already stickered close to 120k. A highschool kid with a used 335 he got for 15k could put another 5 into it and double my horsepower. There is always a less expensive option to get performance. But we like our creature comforts and peripherals like handling and quiet cabins.

In my mind, the only thing I give Tesla the edge on is the software flexibility. I actually don't like a giant ipad on the dash. I've kind of gotten used to it in my wife's X and it doesn't bother me but I think it looks bad in the model3 - personal preference. But their ability to remotely pull logs and diagnose is pretty dang impressive but itself. Then add they can push a fix in real-time? When they did that for us it was a major WOW moment. Their mobile service is good too. But otherwise it's an F in every category (which is why we look forward to selling the model X). And honestly my negative taste is largely how expensive the Model X is. I think Model 3 is going to dominate in their price class.
That’s well said. There are a lot of factors involved and it depends what you value most. It’s like the arguments I would read about the Bugatti Veyron vs the Hennessy Venom and people questioning why you would pay so much more when the venom is faster. The venom is a stretched lotus chassis with a big engine, the Bugatti is a technological masterpiece with unreal attention to detail and world’s first technology that can drive comfortably around town at 30 mph or hit record breaking top speed on a track. Tesla has 0-60 times that compete with hypercars and while the low center of gravity in all electric cars gives it better handling by nature of physics, you don’t feel the road the way you do in the Taycan. For me, handling is a vital part of performance and the experience of a car as a whole. When you add in the dynamic chassis control, rear axle steering and torque vectoring plus, it takes it to a completely different level. The Taycan would be at home on a track (range aside) and the Tesla, to me, would be completely out of place. Design is definitely an individual thing, and the Model 3 seems to be hit or miss for many people, but one thing that is undeniable is that the Model S design is outdated. I think it’s crazy to pay 6 figures for a car with an 11 year old design (it’s still a facelift away from the 2009 prototype). What other car company has kept a design that long in modern times?

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'll be honest and say that if I wasn't pretty well off, I'd stick with my Model 3 Performance. It gets you 80% of the way there for 50% of the money. But if you want the best, and you really enjoy driving, the Taycan is it. You feel like a Driver God while in this car. Anyone can be dusted off the line. Cornering on rails. And of course, it looks amazing. It's tough to put a value on that.
yeah. The model 3 is my default recommendation / starting point until folks add in more details about what they want. 80% of the way for 50% the money indeed.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I'm going for a test drive on Thursday. Coming from a Tesla Model 3 P. I initially thought it would be really tough to justify a Taycan purchase from a value perspective...
"Value" as in inexpensive is not a Porsche brand feature. But I think the Taycan provides great value particularly with the 4S+ with a few options.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thank you for the review! My wife has a model X and the poor buying experience and quality issues we’ve had with it turned me off of electric. On a whim I stopped into the dealer and checked out a Turbo S and he said “if you have time, take it for a spin.” I ordered a Turbo two days later. Tesla almost killed EV’s for us but now we’ll be a full EV house. Bizarro land!
Tesla never managed to kill EV for us, but the moment we got our MS90D I was dreaming of a quality German EV.

I live in a mega city and I think gas powered cars are not really tolerable anymore. Besides getting a car registration for a gas powered car cost over US$ 15000. EVs have no extra charge.

Next year we will have a look at the EQS. I had a look at the EQC in a showroom. Very nice, but not on a dedicated EV platform, and it shows. Last week I saw an Etron for the first time. The next few years will be very interesting... :)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I had a deposit on a 3 when it first came out as a graduation gift for one of my kids. But they could just over the looks. I know it is a personal preference, but they said the front looked like a VW Beetle mated with a frog. Now whenever we see one on the road, I just hear "ribbit".
:)

When I stand in front of my MS90D, I see on the outside a kind of a modern American Muscle car. But the seat head rests look like a Mini Cooper. How does that make sense?

ceresma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S90D 2015
Country flag
My only problem with my Tesla S was the service department was run by children that had no idea of how to deal with customers. Listened to nothing. I got the prepaid service on my car (mistake). The car has been fine but it did cost over 100k in 2015. Does not have the finer qualities found in the taycan

K-S

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911-992
Country flag
hi there,
I had a x P100D L for the last three years and have a taycan turbo since 10 days. I honestly would never want to go back (unless for the sheer amount of stuff you can fit in the X). The taycan is so much fun to drive and has an amazing attention to detail.

In contrast to your report, I think InnoDrive is amazing. it is so much better in predicting/adjusting corner-speeds, slowing down on crossroads and when approaching stop-signs. Therefore it is quite useful here in Switzerland. Lane assist is not as reliable as in the Tesla, but I also feel less „forced“ than on the auto-pilot. it feels more natural, also phantom breaking when going under a bridge is a thing of the past…
I would agree! The only odd thing to me is that it fails to recognize traffic lights!!

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I would agree! The only odd thing to me is that it fails to recognize traffic lights!!
We work on autonomous driving here and traffic lights are actually very hard. Just imagine that you have an electronic billboard next to the road with an advertisement which shows a traffic light turning green. Ouf...

K-S

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911-992
Country flag
We work on autonomous driving here and traffic lights are actually very hard. Just imagine that you have an electronic billboard next to the road with an advertisement which shows a traffic light turning green. Ouf...
Point taken, I am sure you will do it at some point!! That said, the Taycan really is a car to drive, so I don't use it too much, sometimes on the freeway.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
This needs a large load of AI. Same I think for pedestrians behavior on zebra crossings.
Sponsored